PDA

View Full Version : E-Trac FE numbers on good targets

randy
07-22-2010, 06:56 PM
OK, so this has got me a bit confused. I usually hunt with the high FE numbers (27+) blacked out. If I'm swinging and get a promising but weakish signal (say 17-45 and the like), I figure it is either a good target, or iron falsing. So I go into quickmask (which is totally all metal in my setup), and swing over the target, and if 9 out of 10 swings or so show FE numbers in the 30s, (generally 35 the way it has been working out), I assume it is an iron target and move on. What I look for is the conductive target has to put up a fight, and it least ring say 30% of the time, for me to deal with the target.

Turns out I think this may be stupid, and I think I'm completely confused. I got one today which sounded good at first, then pretty much every swing in quickmask showed FE 35. I decided to dig anyway, just to keep myself honest, at it was a wheatie at just 6 inches. No iron to be found anywhere. I scanned the hole again, no signal, no iron. So I'm wondering why it was almost always showing FE 35?

I decide I'm going to dig the next one like this as well -- it was showing 11-12 inches, an occasional conductive reading, but over 90% of the swings on the target were FE 35. Was a merc at 9 inches, on its side. So, that's my story, FWIW. I guess you have to dig those FE 35 signals when they are deep, and live with iron. I dunno. My understanding was conductive targets would top out at about FE 26 or so. I guess I was wrong, and I can only imagine the silver I have passed up.

coinnut
07-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Here's my experience on it. The 17 line is just a separation line for tones. Many good targets are drawn down on the ferrous numbers (even to 24FE), so I usually run mine with 31-35 discriminated out. I wish we could adjust the tones so the line between high and low tones was our choice, but maybe that will come later. So always go by the CO number and if the hit is fairly consistant. As far as the all metal reading FE of 35? I have found that it has a tendency to go there. It may be worth scanning the target with extremely short sweeps to make sure you are just going over that small piece of ground (after locating it with pinpoint). This way it is just a reading from that target. Don't go more than 1 past the target to get a number reading. Here's something to think about that I read by Tom Dankowski. It's called silent masking. If there was a large iron target, with or near them coins, you would know it in all metal, but what if there was a small staple or very small item that was just a rust patch, just above the coins (say at 5) You may break up the rust and not be able to re-detect it after you get the coin, or the staple may just be too small and deep to register on the speaker. But the signal you sent down is influenced by any metal it hits. It may be enough to skew the numbers. I am convinced that the numbers are just a nice touch to let me know when it's a shallower silver or large copper, but in cases of deep, angled coins, it may not work as well. In pounded parks, you have to remember them coins are there for a reason, something made them not detectable to previous machines. So my guess is that it is influenced by something, but it may not register after you disturbed the ground. I always go by sound and always hope to see 12-46 on the screen lol Just my thoughts on it Randy.

trout-hunter
07-22-2010, 09:52 PM
The 12-46 has been magic for me in my short E-Trac experience and the best magic to date,an 1875 seated Liberty dime.

angellionel
07-23-2010, 09:07 AM
I nearly always use a discrimination pattern, but I do know exactly what you mean, Randy. I have found it is more pronounced on deep targets and while having Recovery Deep and Recovery Fast on along with a high sensitivity. That is why it is so important to hunt at a slow pace, especially when detecting trashy areas. The Fe/Co numbers will not be as accurate, though the tone/signal itself will be the deciding factor for me. I have scanned deep targets using all metal mode, and the Fe number does have a tendency to bounce to the higher end, but the discrimination pattern I am using has not failed to pick up those targets either. I reject everything from 28 +, and it has worked quite well.

As George indicated too, very short sweeps over the target will allow the machine to have a better lock on it, hence providing more accurate Fe/Co information. If they have a tendency to bounce to the lower range, I will dig. I love it when the numbers and tone scream 'good target' while using the probe once a deep plug has been cut. :cheesysmile:

coinnut
07-23-2010, 12:11 PM
I love it when the numbers and tone scream 'good target' while using the probe once a deep plug has been cut. :cheesysmile:

lol That is actually the addictive part for me. I get soooo disappointed when I don't get a high tone, just a null when that plug is removed. It's like Christmas was just cancelled >:\ :crying02: :crying02: