PDA

View Full Version : A day with Trooper, Timmeh, and just plain Dan gives triple coppers.

MangoAve
10-22-2015, 12:48 PM
It is a bit amazing how my oldest dateable copper was a 1787 CT as the first LC I found sometime last year. Now within a week my oldest find goes to a KG2 old bust (1740-1760) and then to a KG2 young bust. We all ended up walking away with coppers yesterday.

The site we hit actually turned out to be a bit tough for me for some reason. There was a bunch of buttons getting pulled up right away and a copper too right away. The most I got up until 1p was the tooth to a buckle. A nice ornate complete buckle had come up before then already. My piece was a turd trying to pinpoint. It moved places about four times before I finally found it. I did point out to Dan a depression that was different than a nearby depression that was made with a bucket loader. I had gone around the back of it noting all the iron and the large overload signals. It looks like there was trash thrown there and the structure collapsed backwards. Near where someone dug a target I managed to find a really small button like piece The button like things look like they are three piece and are riveted (as such with button snaps or things on jeans. For some reason tho it looks like there is an iron center piece.

I was scouring around not hearing more than a few pockets of iron and then a few sporadic iron hits. I came back to the spot behind the structure and found my first copper... a 1935 wheat. Lol. Then I found another small button like piece, and the three darn washers. I wonder how the first person through there missed those coin shaped washers. Finally I pull up a button. A quick glance and it looks like its got a lot of gilt left. And monogrammed. Yeah, for someone named Wrangler. :girlcry::disgusted:
Around the side of the structure (possibly a carriage house) there was some nearby junk someone looked like they moved. If you recollect moving some aluminum trim pieces, you missed my first LC there (second copper..lol). It was ringing like a perfect dime signal. It might be a smoothie, but it is really thick. I took a pic after a hot peroxide bath. The front doesn't show much. The back almost looks like there is a woman there. But it doesn't look like Britannia. Idk.. There was a side by side to the KG2.

I did score a tiny buckle there and a weird piece of pewter. Dan noticed it looks almost like there is a hook to the back of it. I'll let Bri and Dan and Tim post about their finds, but I will say idk how the second to last copper that came up was missed until then. I even moved this huge rotted branch maybe 15 ft away. I think I went around the base of the tree and continued, completely missing the obvious spot out in the open.

After we were getting ready to leave and we took the remembrance, I turned on the machine for a quick look while we were waiting for Tim. Dan and Bri were talking while I went. Within two min when I headed away from them toward the road I pick up the last copper of the day. That now became my oldest dateable copper at 1734. It could possibly be 1736 if some of those dates have the '6' with a flat back. I did write in the numbers on a pic to show what it really looks like. Either date, makes it my oldest so far and the oldest one found yesterday.

At the end we did get confronted twice. Maybe one of those present yesterday wants to elaborate. Lol. No Drew sighting, but at least two Ox Shoes did come up.

The big iron handle like piece looks like it might be broken on one side and was something like a handle to a cooking pot. There was some odd ornate disk thing there too. It was an overload on the surface with no digging required; I just wanted to move it due to any masking. But it is cool looking with a wreath pattern. It looks like there is a hinge to open it.

Congrats to Dan, Bri, and Tim at scoring coppers and thanks for having me along. Timmeh, nice to meet you and now you finally have your taste of cellar hole hunting. You passed the class with those nice tombacs from this week. BTW.... USE THAT NEL COIL, esp at sites like a cellar hole. I guarantee you will find more targets near iron. Dan/Bri, let's do it again sometime.

OH... and to just plain Dan. I don't think my discrimination is too high. I hear the iron blips and flasing with this machine. The reason I rebut what you said is that the tiny cuff button I got a month back along with the infantry button and third button in a walk path I determined.. It did sound like iron a few times. I was hearing it sound the majority of the time in the low VDI non-ferrous range, sometimes as high as 23, but every few swings was iron. That being said, I just didn't get the coil in the spots for finding buttons yesterday. Esp after you guys scoffed them all up, there was no way I was gonna find any after you guys checked the spots they would be. Maybe the above reference to the tiny button like pieces with some iron backs-up my explanation.

Now For pics.
50811507995080950810508055080650807508085080050802 50812508045080350801

Cheap Thrills
10-22-2015, 01:14 PM
Great going on your coppers and your other finds .You all must have had a fun time .

del
10-22-2015, 01:31 PM
now I know why i couldn't see the date on that coin very well , i was focusing on the dark areas in between the lighter colored actual numbers :lol: good call o the date Jim :clapping:looks you win the bet for oldest coin :notworthy: congrats on all your finds Jim , glad you had a good time .

Tony Two-Cent
10-22-2015, 02:09 PM
Awesome finds, Jim! Congrats on the coppers! Man, 1734 (or 1736) is really old! :clapping:

OxShoeDrew
10-22-2015, 05:38 PM
Love the ox shoes :lol:
You're having a hot streak! I hope it continues!:notworthy:

Trooper Bri
10-22-2015, 06:56 PM
Congrats on the coppers Jim! That last one as we were walking out you could have thrown and hit our cars with. :lol:

Digger_O'Dell
10-22-2015, 07:35 PM
Congrats on oldest coin! Keep finding those old coppers!

Lodge Scent
10-22-2015, 08:00 PM
Superb examples of ox shoes Mango. Nice job on the coppers.

Fire Fighter 43
10-22-2015, 08:01 PM
Great hunt with some great guys, congrats on your finds.

MangoAve
10-23-2015, 09:05 AM
Great going on your coppers and your other finds .You all must have had a fun time .

Thanks CT. It was a nice time. I sure can't complain that I wasn't at work but instead was detecting. Toward the end it was eventful. :lol:. Great to get out with everyone.

now I know why i couldn't see the date on that coin very well , i was focusing on the dark areas in between the lighter colored actual numbers :lol: good call o the date Jim :clapping:looks you win the bet for oldest coin :notworthy: congrats on all your finds Jim , glad you had a good time .

Lol. I was gonna try and take a better pic but since I could def see it and decided in my mind to just add the numbers to help everyone else. That's what straining all those years on these wiped coppers did to your eyes, Dan. As far as getting oldest coin, just pure luck. The last coin of the day, but sometimes luck is all we get. Thanks again for taking me. Thanks for praise, but we all got some nice stuff. No complaints.... except for that darn wrangler button.

Awesome finds, Jim! Congrats on the coppers! Man, 1734 (or 1736) is really old! :clapping:

Thanks Tony. Maybe circumstances will be ok for you to join in a season or two. It will give more reason for group hunts which I can't complain about. Yeah, It's rare to find anything still lasting after 281 years.

Love the ox shoes :lol: You're having a hot streak! I hope it continues!:notworthy:

Says the one with the even hotter streak going on. Thanks, Drew. And for the site. Hope your streak continues. Idk why until now I couldn't grasp why ox shoes would be found near the lip of the cellars either (at any site). They didn't plant right up to the foundations. Raising walls would involve ropes and oxen pulling away from the foundation. I think they actually have to be there from before the foundation was completed. I think they fell off (at every colonial) when they brought rocks over to line the cellar walls.

Congrats on the coppers Jim! That last one as we were walking out you could have thrown and hit our cars with. :lol:

Thanks Bri. Your Matron is in better shape. Maybe just a little better than Dan's. Congrats on getting the deep LC. (EDIT: I almost ruined the surprise). And If I could only make it rain coppers if that's what you were going for by "throwing them at the cars".

Congrats on oldest coin! Keep finding those old coppers!

I wanna find me some old silver, Darn it!! Thanks tho. I like getting old coppers and always good to beat a personal record. I just can't seem to find any silver older than 1907 but I can get coppers almost 300 years old.

Superb examples of ox shoes Mango. Nice job on the coppers.

Thanks. If only those ox shoes were worth something. Maybe then people would enjoy finding them more. They are a piece of history, sure.

Great hunt with some great guys, congrats on your finds.

Thanks. Yup, some nice finds and some nice guys. Well, that Tim guy was crazy. JK... He is really nice guy. He def knows his machine, too, for the specifics toward detecting.

Ill Digger
10-24-2015, 09:27 PM
Either date, makes it my oldest so far and the oldest one found yesterday.
Not so fast my friend. Stay tuned for my post.....;)

Hey Jim, I'm glad you were able to come along Wednesday! It was cool getting a little group of forum members together while I was there! Just what I was hoping for! :thumbsup01:
It was nice to meet and hunt with ya. Hopefully we'll get a chance to do it again sometime! :beerbuddy:
Sweet finds during the hunt too! This might sound weird to you New England guys but I was actually hoping to find a ox shoe. :lol:
Congrats on the goodies!!! :grin:

Oh yeah...you left your hat in my truck too. You wanna stop by and grab it? :lol:

del
10-24-2015, 09:50 PM
Oh yeah...you left your hat in my truck too. You wanna stop by and grab it? :lol:

Look at that Jim you now have an excuse for a road trip out west !! just explain it to the girlfriend !!:rofl:

wisconsin digger
10-25-2015, 09:07 PM
Nearly a 300 year old coin. That is just amazing. great coins and relics WD

MangoAve
10-26-2015, 08:01 AM
Not so fast my friend. Stay tuned for my post.....;)

Hey Jim, I'm glad you were able to come along Wednesday! It was cool getting a little group of forum members together while I was there! Just what I was hoping for! :thumbsup01:
It was nice to meet and hunt with ya. Hopefully we'll get a chance to do it again sometime! :beerbuddy:
Sweet finds during the hunt too! This might sound weird to you New England guys but I was actually hoping to find a ox shoe. :lol:
Congrats on the goodies!!! :grin:

Yeah, when I was gonna get out this weekend to hunt I was checking my car for it and then I realized.. ugh. I've done this before. My Oakley's are still in someone else's possession. The following day I left my other aviators in Mike54's car. Those got returned. Now my hat. I am checking into a possible other one. If Aero is fine, you might just get to keep it. Wash it an wear it. I'm looking into possibly another one. Saw they even make BT hats. Lol. I'd never have any excuse not to have BT seeing as toward the end of this hunt, the transmitter was dying. I got a backup, tho, that was at home at the time. You got a free coffee and donut for me too. Lol. Altho if Dan drove, he was gonna get it. Not to make you feel less special. But he did drive the past two hunts I got with him.

Gaaah.... I saw your post last night and I will answer it there. However, It was great to get out with everyone and have a dinner later on with all ya. At least Dan's wife did get involved even tho detecting is not her forte. I'm sure she is used to it being around Dan, but good thing the gf was there too for them girls to talk.

I'll mail you those ox shoes if you want. Granted as you said for the other item, you didn't put your coil over it (or dig it). Trying to think what it is comparable to there that is abundant as leaves on the ground. lol. Hope it can happen again. Group hunts don't occur that often for me.

Look at that Jim you now have an excuse for a road trip out west !! just explain it to the girlfriend !!:rofl:

Lol. It wasn't intentional but maybe now I can mooch in on Tony's territory and pull up some silvers so he don't get 'em. I have never been anything more than driving through the central states. I am sure she won't mind a vaca, altho I'm antsy for some tropical weather.

Nearly a 300 year old coin. That is just amazing. great coins and relics WD

Yeah... Now it's your turn to find a coin that old. It is crazy. I have to check into whether it is a counterfeit tho. It still rings 53-55 out of the hole. I rarely check any out of the hole but now that I have. Thanks tho, WD.