PDA

View Full Version : Beans, beans everywhere! Where to start?

Digger_O'Dell
10-22-2015, 08:24 PM
Hi all,
Today the bean fields have been harvested and I finally get to start detecting them in the morning! Trying to get a handle on where to begin in the hopes of actually finding something good. The 5 or so acre lot the house and barn are on produced nothing of any real interest which was a total buzzkill since it has been in use since at least 1900, if not around the 1840-50 era the plat maps show. The oldest coin I found was I think a 1987 penny, but did find a couple relics from the 30's.

So here is a photo of the area I get to hunt, and would live to hear any suggestions from past experiences in fields as I seriously doubt I will have time to even detect 1/4 of it.

All the plowed area in the photo is the area I have to detect. nature preserve and farm location are notated

Bucknut
10-23-2015, 12:00 PM
I would stick to the area near the older homes. Finding items out in the middle of random fields is a crap shoot at best. Now if that area has some history to it then the chances are better.

Hope you find some goodies!

groundhog53946
10-23-2015, 11:20 PM
Unless you have some Intel on where some old buildings may have stood, I would start near the house as I'm sure kids played in the fields before and after harvest and kids are forever losing things but good luck where ever you go

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Digger_O'Dell
10-24-2015, 12:32 AM
Long time no see groundhog! Hope your detecting is going well, and thanks for the advice! The reason I asked is because I was completely skunked in the yard area of the house and farm buildings. Unbelievable since it's such an old place with the oldest plat map I can find showing the farm existing. The other thought was the word I got that at one time the farm grew cabbage so I would think there would have been lots lost in the fields due to planting and harvesting by hand. Also I would have expect items getting dropped when hunting, or possible during winter activities such as sleigh rides where crotal bells get lost for example.
So far I have been in the eastern most field and found nothing but lots of nails and iron, and the soil is also an extremely hard clay with thick gravel mixed in-terrible to dig, probably worse for crops to grow in very well. Saturday morning I'll try closer to the intersection maybe, or possibly the area behind the barn. This time I will try a different program I think is more suitable to the trashier conditions and maybe less discrimination in the hope for relics as well as coins.

Cheap Thrills
10-24-2015, 09:37 PM
" Beans , beans the magical fruit ..........hope you pick the right spot to coinshoot " !! :rofl:

Digger_O'Dell
10-24-2015, 10:10 PM
" Beans , beans the magical fruit ..........hope you pick the right spot to coinshoot " !! :rofl:

LMAO CT!!! :hystericallaugh:

I actually got a couple goodies this morning-an old bent key and an old copper/brass/bronze bell such as from a wind chime! My nemesis the whole time was chunks of thick fence wire that keeps ringing up as a dime or quarter. Grrr...

Cheap Thrills
10-24-2015, 10:48 PM
Thanks for posting . I was getting curious as to how you were doing .That fence wire can be a big pain for sure . Cyclone fence wire has fooled me on many occasions . It's good to see you're getting some goodies ; that at least reassures one that their detector is working . Today I was reassured many times my detector was still working but I don't think my stuff qualified as goodies :bangahead02: . Keep up the good work . I hope you find some good stuff .:crossfingers:

groundhog53946
10-25-2015, 01:20 AM
I believe you are right about the hand harvesting but any goodies could be few and far between but there could very well be something there that will knock your socks off. Keep us posted

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

sonofdust
10-28-2015, 03:02 PM
Just a guess but, if its same land owner that grew cabbage ask how he layed out the field for harvest. The distance between pick up points might narrow it down some?