PDA

View Full Version : Hunt with the Pequot Indian Museum.

coinnut
07-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Yesterday, I had the pleasure to hunt with the archaeologists at the Pequot Indian Museum in south eastern Connecticut. It's a bit of a haul for me at around 160 miles round trip, but it was fun. They are a great group of people and we had a slight tour of the unopened museum and their restoration lab. It was educational to say the least. lol We were looking for a battle that occured around 1636-1637. It was fun digging up people's back yards lol but finds were scarce. I don't think we found any items that date to that period, but one of the guys did find a coin size gold plated item. It's probably only a flat buttot from the 1800's, but it may be something else. Could be a token or maybe even a jetton. The hardest thing to do was not to rub it rofl That's for the lab to do. I'll probably go back the next time our schedules allow it. It a start since England has embraced detectorists and the sharring of knowledge was appreciated by both sides. I'll keep you updated when I head back there and maybe Del can add to it if they ever have a hunt on his day off :ticked:

del
07-23-2010, 02:03 AM
hey i'm glad it was a possitive time for you George , was it organized pretty well . i would love to really see the conservation techniques on the items found and pick the brains of people on that aspect of the table. i'm hoping to get out to help out atleast once . was this the battle area of the fort or just a skirmish between the colonists and the Pequots:huh: and when the next time your scheduled to go:huh: hey thanks for the update as well.

Dan

angellionel
07-23-2010, 09:20 AM
You had mentioned this to me last time we were out. Thanks for the update! It sounds like fun!

coinnut
07-23-2010, 12:01 PM
hey i'm glad it was a possitive time for you George , was it organized pretty well . i would love to really see the conservation techniques on the items found and pick the brains of people on that aspect of the table. i'm hoping to get out to help out atleast once . was this the battle area of the fort or just a skirmish between the colonists and the Pequots:huh: and when the next time your scheduled to go:huh: hey thanks for the update as well.

Dan

Yea it was organized pretty well, but we were also given a bit of leeway and allowed to use our own techniques. The conservation room was a dream come true rofl X ray machines, reference books, micro abrasion stations, vapor hoods, etc... :clapping:. We were at the same site the other guys had a chance to do, which was a location at the side of a small hill where the fort stood. It's reall a small area and you would never think anything of it. Not like a hill you may imagine, almost nothing. I think they may be meeting this Monday, but that was not settled yet. The following week may be different. I will be scheduled to go on any Wednesday or Thursday that they have scheduled for a hunt. Other than that, I won't be able to make it. It was hot, but not many bugs, but targets were slim.

tanacat
07-24-2010, 05:52 PM
That's really cool G! I hope you go back and do it again. Too bad ya'll didn't find anything good. That is a LONG TIME AGO 1636 you say? :shocked04: I'd like to look this up...

I once volunteered with archaelogy dept to do some cliff-line surveying. Mountain men Cecil Ison and Johnny Faulkner & I went bushwacking down, down, down... rhodendendrun and magnolia everywhere... in the Red River Gorge down to the cliff overhangs; we found an old saltpeter mine and moonshine still dating back to War of 1812! The branches had been carved out, each one more narrow fluted, laying there, set up like it was yesterday. What was so amazing this spot had not been looted. Not a single piece of trash, no digging- it was left as is since way back then. Another high point was some petroglyphs on the cave walls :shocked04:stretcher: Your'e making me want to volunteer again- I think I'll check in over there and let them know I'm MD'ing now :cheesysmile: