PDA

View Full Version : Epic and Off da chain

MangoAve
10-27-2015, 08:58 AM
Yesterday there was a hunt that can't be beat. Maybe it wasn't quite a gold or silver cache, but I can say no one has ever had a hunt like this.

After work I had to hit Walmart for a few items, which now irritates me that I ran out of peroxide last night with the cleaning which I should have picked up at this trip there. I got to the P.O. to get out a Bday card and might as well get the bill out 3 days early. Around 5 I was able to get out to hunt. The 1926 that I was gonna try and hit looked like the guy was inside, and the last two times meant no one answered when I tried to make sure I could detect at that time. So I went down to the 1798 house where I scored the Balboa, three ringer, 1818 Matron, buff, Kearny cross, and 1936 electrical connector item. I brought the Kearny with me just in case I was going to that house to offer it to him. The story for that is on the latest AD contest...

He is a nicest guy and said to have at it. I took out the Tpro and I thought I was ok to use it. I did get an iffy target that I dug. The coin shape was there with the old bottle cap, but I noticed with the pinpointing the numbers were erratic. When I was swinging I was getting the iron category popping. Umm. The dog fence was giving me an issue. So I threw it back in the car and grabbed the TRanger. Not more than 5 feet away I snagged my first dog tag; 1917. A few feet away I get an ok tone, but it was a little broken. I dig down and get a medal. Now this is strange because I pulled up the Kearny cross before, why is there another medal? When I was checking I had gotten two spots the pinpointer was going off. I checked again and out pops another. Then a third. Then a fourth. I swing over it again and see there is more. In the same hole I pulled out 5 medals along with three bars for badges, a fob, and a small one medal similar to the 4 identical ones. Now I am swinging paying attention to any tones I am getting. Not quite in all metal mode. I go along to the big tree and get a target 6 inches down. Unfortunately due to the roots and the amount of light still left I gave up on it. The tree is massive and any item under a root would be really old. Around the side of the tree I got another good tone. I thought it could be a LC near iron cuz the slightly lower VDI. Turns out it was a large dandy button, period for build of the house. Now that one is the same size as the one I pulled up about a month ago at an 1800 house maybe 2 miles away along the same route. When I came back around to the area where I got the medal spill, I checked again. Another nice tone just a few inches over. wth??? Annd out pops another medal. I didn't stay too much longer because it was dark and was using all the lights. When he was taking off, I showed him the items and told him I was going too because it was dark.

It was nothing short of spectacular to find a medal/fob spill. I have heard of button spills. I have heard of jewelry spills and coin spills, but medals??
They all look like they were turn of the century items, about 100 or so years after the house was built. I have to now research why they were there. Some pottery was in the hole too, but Im sure by early 1900s that trash pits were not used, and to be right out front of the house in view? No way it was a trash pit there.
The four identical medals, along with the smaller similar one, was made by Whitehead and Hoag out of Newark NJ. The Kearny from before was Schwaab S&S out of Milwaukee. The others I can't tell. The 4+1 are for the Governor's foot guard officers started in 1771. It is the oldest service in the country for protection of a government official. The round one is for the second company (said like platoon) which was started out of New Haven CT in 1775 for the same protection. One bar is for the first company as it has the date of 1771. At first I thought it was a badge number. One is blank. The other just says St Louis 1907. There was something medal that connected below it and idk which one. The fob is for the Jamestown Tercentennial in 1907 depicting the Connecticut house and the state seal. The last round badge is for the Worcester Infantry Centennial in 1903. I Included the picture of the Balboa and Kearny as well. Now the pics to share in the joy I got from this hunt. Drew, keep saying you hope I get good luck hunting cuz it is surely working.

509505094250951509525094650943 5094850947509455094450949

RIdirtdigger
10-27-2015, 09:07 AM
I have never seen a spill like that. There's gotta be some interesting story behind why someone would by carrying all of those medals. I can't really see why someone would purposely bury them either, huh this one stumps me. Awesome find though, probably one of the most unique and cool spills I've ever seen.

Tony Two-Cent
10-27-2015, 09:11 AM
Epic indeed! So many wonderful finds! I love that Balboa, it has a lot of character!

The St. Louis item is no doubt from the 1904 Worlds Fair which was in St. Louis. I have never heard of a medal spill before. I wonder is some kid buried them there years ago? Way cool!

Congrats on the monumental hunt! :perfect10:

Bucknut
10-27-2015, 10:42 AM
Really amazing!

OxShoeDrew
10-27-2015, 10:52 AM
"Drew, keep saying you hope I get good luck hunting cuz it is surely working."
GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Holy moly :omg: hey is that classic head bottom left of first pic? ...and no close up?? You know that's a great hunt when nice coppers dont get a close up.:lol:
I'm eating lunch, and will look more closely later.

The Rebel
10-27-2015, 11:08 AM
Awesome hunt! Either some kid buried them or they were in a bag of some sort which has rotted away.
I bet our wonderful Gov (NOT!) uses them as body guards, LOL!

Lodge Scent
10-27-2015, 11:14 AM
Definitely a cool find ! :congrats:

MangoAve
10-27-2015, 11:29 AM
I have never seen a spill like that. There's gotta be some interesting story behind why someone would by carrying all of those medals. I can't really see why someone would purposely bury them either, huh this one stumps me. Awesome find though, probably one of the most unique and cool spills I've ever seen.

Yeah. I got my work cut out for research. Along with the place I got the buckle to tell the old woman a little more about the old owners there (which she said she knew the grave was in the nearby cemetery). Definitely unique even if those aren't really worth much. There was a way on the Whitehead site to grade items usually with just a picture. They made a bunch of other items like buttons, but might be worthy to enquire.

Epic indeed! So many wonderful finds! I love that Balboa, it has a lot of character!

The St. Louis item is no doubt from the 1904 Worlds Fair which was in St. Louis. I have never heard of a medal spill before. I wonder is some kid buried them there years ago? Way cool!

Congrats on the monumental hunt!

Thanks, Tony. Happy with the luck I been getting lately. The balboa is unique (even tho it was earlier hunt at the site). Since it was already a necklace I may remake it into one. Now I know what to get you for your Bday. lol.
A coworker said maybe a jacket was lost. Even if it went the winter in the snow I think the fabric would still be around come spring, however I could def see all these worn on the same outfit when people like officers get decorated for events.

Really amazing!

Yup. I agree Buck. Thanks.

"Drew, keep saying you hope I get good luck hunting cuz it is surely working."
GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Holy moly hey is that classic head bottom left of first pic? ...and no close up?? You know that's a great hunt when nice coppers dont get a close up.
I'm eating lunch, and will look more closely later.

Yup, that was an 1818 Matron. Oh... that's right. I never took close ups or cleaned pics of it. Thanks, Drew. It's all about luck and slumps. As long as the good keeps coming, Ill be waiting for it and quite thankful for it. If it's Karma I must have done something right. Can't imagine what that could possibly be. :rofl:

Awesome hunt! Either some kid buried them or they were in a bag of some sort which has rotted away.
I bet our wonderful Gov (NOT!) uses them as body guards, LOL!

Now you know where your tax dollars went, Rog. Haha. I was also toying with the idea that even tho those were stamped with Milwaukee and Newark, maybe they were outsourced and made there at the house. Right now until I have any research proof, nothing is off the table yet. They could have still been stamped with the company logo even tho made here. The house was a business for almost 50 years in a different capacity after these medals were made. Above mentions some other possibilities. In reality, tho, I think now the foot guard is more of a commercialized organization. Like the NG, but not active duty. Just a formal training and then show up for large events. That's what I gathered from the website, altho I could be wrong and there is actually body guards in training and a rotational schedule of duty. This is where more research comes in.

BTV Digger
10-27-2015, 08:28 PM
Fantastic finds Jim! Wow. I wonder whether children were playing games with grandpa's old medals back in the day. My granddad was a coin collector and recall playing with some of his old IH pennies on his front porch when I was about 7 yrs. old. It's an interesting question as to how they all got there. That's definitely your hunt of the year.

John

Digger_O'Dell
10-27-2015, 10:45 PM
All I can say is WOW, Congratulations! I also have never heard of a medal spill, but obviously its possible because you found one.

I will try to do a bit of research on it from my end being in Milwaukee. FYI, Schwaab is a big family name in the area with a listing of a business supply store dating back to 1881

Digger_O'Dell
10-27-2015, 11:00 PM
ok, here's the history of Schwaab Stamp and Seal company on their web site: http://shop.schwaab.com/custom.aspx?id=5

Cheap Thrills
10-27-2015, 11:32 PM
Oh Man , that's some booty-kicking excitement there !! :thumbsup02: :congrats:

del
10-28-2015, 03:27 AM
shouldn't be to hard to trace who the medals belonged to , after all the "Governor's foot guard " has to be a special or elite few who served . The medal spill is certainly an interesting and highly uncommon spill i've ever seen . Congrats Jim and hope to hear more info when you get it .

Dan

MangoAve
10-28-2015, 07:43 AM
Fantastic finds Jim! Wow. I wonder whether children were playing games with grandpa's old medals back in the day. My granddad was a coin collector and recall playing with some of his old IH pennies on his front porch when I was about 7 yrs. old. It's an interesting question as to how they all got there. That's definitely your hunt of the year.
John

Thanks John. Prob is my hunt of the year. I've been having a good ride and it even continued again last night, but I don't think there will be much "greater" than this specific hunt for the year. Who knows, one of the cellars I plan to hit soon being private might hold a lot more valuable stuff. Sure as heck, tho, a medal spill is prob once in a life time. But then again, you struggle with certain finds, and as soon as you get one more start popping up.

All I can say is WOW, Congratulations! I also have never heard of a medal spill, but obviously its possible because you found one.

I will try to do a bit of research on it from my end being in Milwaukee. FYI, Schwaab is a big family name in the area with a listing of a business supply store dating back to 1881
ok, here's the history of Schwaab Stamp and Seal company on their web site: http://shop.schwaab.com/custom.aspx?id=5

Yup. They started 1881 and adapted the Schwaab name in 1888, seven years later. That's about the extent I got from their website. The majority of the other medals were 1903-1907 so this Kearny was somewhere close to those dates. I gotta email them again, because like the token I found earlier this summer, I had to send an email twice to get a response. I'm sure now having the other items I have a time frame for them to check their records.

Thanks tho. I can't say that it was a challenge that was expected to be completed like it's ever been on the bucket list, but I can say I have broken the mold when it comes to detecting. Lol.

Oh Man , that's some booty-kicking excitement there !!

Thanks CT. Love the rush. You just never know. Lemme ask Tim about what shaking really is. Jk. I was amped but not shaking.

shouldn't be to hard to trace who the medals belonged to , after all the "Governor's foot guard " has to be a special or elite few who served . The medal spill is certainly an interesting and highly uncommon spill i've ever seen . Congrats Jim and hope to hear more info when you get it .

Dan

Thanks Dan. I wasn't aware that it was an elite group that I could check records on who served. Hope others that I have answered read this too. No sense in whriting it twice in the same response, despite it being under a different quote. The wife did a record search and has a little more info on who owned it and when. There are a few periods that weren't included, but that might be when it changed ownership WITHIN the family. The name in 1841 is the same on the 1868 map. The next known transfer was 1919. That's the time frame I should be looking into. Now it's time to send off an email to the footguard. Both of them because both the first and second company medals were found. If I see a name represented twice I think I found it. Ill keep ya posted.

MangoAve
11-09-2015, 09:56 AM
I did some cleaning of the medals a bit more and took a few more pics. Most of them are in great shape and the tercentennial is nice copper color.