PDA

View Full Version : Great day group hunting-Great big thanks to Firefighter43!

Digger_O'Dell
10-29-2015, 11:10 PM
First off I would like to give a great big thanks to FireFighter43 (Jeff) for an invite to join him at a secret hunting spot along with Wisconsin Digger! :notworthy:

I had left a 12 hour shift at work just after 6:00 AM to head out to the site, but had about 90 minutes to kill before the others arrived. It was still dark and stormy, but decided to take a drive to a nearby lake and try hunting the public beach. It was raining a little, but not enough to overcome my stubbornness! The sandy area looked promising, but I think someone had recently had the same idea to hunt here as the beach was pockmarked with shallow holes. I didn't find anything here except one corroded zincoln at the edge of the paved boat launch. After a bit I decided to grab a McHeartburn and head to the appointed site.

So despite the weather which could have been much worse it turned out to be a rather nice day. It did rain hard all night but was finally tapering off to a light misty sprinkle. I met up with Firefighter43 and Wisconsin Digger in the parking lot where we made introductions and I got the layout of the land. Shortly thereafter we set off in our own directions hoping for the best spots. I was a little worried about being outgunned-not because of equipment, but that FF43 and WD know their FBS machines so well and I have so little experience with mine.

The ground was soaked which I think threw off the readings at the detector somewhat. Everything was reading much higher than normal and depth readings were off by a couple inches in most cases. But despite these afflictions and a bit of cold water raining off the trees to find it's way down the back of my neck, all started off well. I found an area where I couldn't move more than a few inches without a target, but only pulled up a bunch of clad. That's when I decided to try following an old trail through the woods which led to another trail that was overgrown-now I know the definition of bushwacking! :lol: I didn't find a whole lot in this area other than some kind of old aluminum fishing float (I think), a shotgun shell brass which dates between 1911-1914 and a wheatie.

After a while of finding nothing I worked my way towards where the others were digging and got a signal in some swampy area. But once I sank the shovel into the soil and heard a loud squelch and saw the water welling up I decided there was no way I was getting down to the indicated 12 inches! So onward to higher land where I eventually pulled up a couple more wheaties and lots more clad. It wasn't until later in the day when I finally joined the others in a grassy field where I finally pulled my lone silver Merc at this site.

The day went all too fast and next thing I knew it was time to go. Despite the wind and wet I had a great time and learned a few things about the new machine. In total I ended up with 4 wheaties, the oldest being a 1928D, the 1942 Merc, shotgun shell, an old padlock, a pocket knife and a few other misc. items. Clad totaled $2.73.

50984 50985 50986 50987

Since I still had a couple hours on my day off I stopped at the only park not far from my home that is older than the late 90's. Some areas date back to the 20's, but so much of the park is so trashy it's nearly impossible to detect. But after trying a few different places I found one spot that may have been popular in the past but not quite on the beaten path. This small area had very little trash so was able to cherry pick a bit before dark and this is where I found my second silver of the day-a 1946 Rosie.

Cheap Thrills
10-30-2015, 08:27 AM
Awesome , you did well !!:congrats:

Bucknut
10-30-2015, 09:22 AM
You guys found a great spot!

wisconsin digger
10-31-2015, 08:57 AM
Nice to meet up. Good to see you picked up an additional silver. I went out yesterday to the South of Milwaukee and found nothing but clad. I pulled a few hopeful signals that turned out to be 6-7" clad quarters. Glad I found some silver weds as Friday was a dud. Great hunt WD

groundhog53946
10-31-2015, 09:14 AM
Sounds like a good time was had by all! Congrats on the the silvers

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Fire Fighter 43
10-31-2015, 10:10 AM
It was a pleasure meeting and detecting with you Chris. You have a passion for the hobby and the research that will make you a successful Detectorist. You had a great day and I was happy you pulled out atleast one silver. Do not get discouraged with the CTX it is a great machine, you will be an expert in no time. Also, Congrats on your second silver of the day.

Digger Don
10-31-2015, 04:40 PM
Congrats on a great day. There is nothing better than hunting with friends and you got Silver to boot.
Congrats on the Merc & rosie.

del
11-01-2015, 02:44 PM
what a loooong day Chris but you came through like a champ !! congrats on the merc and wheaties and the Buck knife is a great pickup !! :clapping:the best part of the story is you all getting together to detect :perfect10:

OxShoeDrew
11-01-2015, 05:14 PM
what a loooong day Chris ...and Dan would know :shocked04: but well worth it!! Nice job and glad you guys met up!

Digger_O'Dell
11-02-2015, 02:31 AM
Thanks all! It really was one of the most fun detecting days I had-so much better detecting with others of like mind!

Nice to meet up. Good to see you picked up an additional silver. I went out yesterday to the South of Milwaukee and found nothing but clad. I pulled a few hopeful signals that turned out to be 6-7" clad quarters. Glad I found some silver weds as Friday was a dud. Great hunt WD

Yep, that's how most of my summer was going-just the rare good find to keep things interesting.

It was a pleasure meeting and detecting with you Chris. You have a passion for the hobby and the research that will make you a successful Detectorist. You had a great day and I was happy you pulled out atleast one silver. Do not get discouraged with the CTX it is a great machine, you will be an expert in no time. Also, Congrats on your second silver of the day.

It was great to finally meet up, and I did learn a lot about the CTX with a few more hours use. Not to worry, I'm actually finding the CTX quite easy once I started to understand it and cross over the X-Terra experience as applicable. Reading Andy's book now and learning the tweaks for even better performance. Dying to try out a custom program to try the "see through" effect I read about to get around the sea of pull tabs in otherwise promising grounds. Hoping to get the 6" coil as you recommended sometime this week-found a used one local at a good discount.

MangoAve
11-02-2015, 09:00 AM
Scored a silver. I see there was no shortage of effort. That's a lot of digging.

aloldstuff
11-03-2015, 08:28 AM
:congrats:on your silvers. It's always nice to be able to hunt with someone.