PDA

View Full Version : Dagger report

Metaldetectingeurope
10-30-2015, 03:45 PM
Hello everyone,
As promised, here's the report and story of my bronze dagger.

It all started in the summer of 2013. All the fields I normaly visit where full of potatoes, corn, and not availeble for searching. Driving home from work I noticed That the NAM ( dutch oil company ) had started with a pipeline trough the fields, about 5 Miles from where I live. Before digging the pipe into the ground they removed about 30 cm of toplayer, 30 meters wide.
That offcourse seemed very interesting, and having no other places availeble I realised I could fill my summerevenings for quite Some time following this trail.
For weeks I walked the trail in the evening,not finding a single thing untill one day I noticed Some pottery fragments in the piles of ground That lay on the side. I recognized the fragment as bronze aged and was very pleased when I saw they where decorated with little puts on a row, made by pushing fingertips in the clay. You could actually see the fingernails pushed in. Fingertips from at least 3000 years old!

A few evenings later the trail had moved for another few hundred meters, and after having diner with my family I rushed to the site for another Search That evening . After two hours not finding a single thing I decided to stop. Walking back the trail I noticed That the NAM had also moved a lot of ground to set up there equiptment. i decided to give it a quick scan before I steppend in my car. Whitin two minutes i got a signal That indicated a Large piece of metal, not deep in the ground. Probably a sodacan I thought, reacting on the sound I heard.
About 30 second later I had the piece of metal in my hand and tried to figre out wat I was holding. Could it be something from a mowingmachine or plough? No, I realised the material was bronse and my hart started speeding up.
When I got home I immediatly took Some pictures an mailed them to the Provence archeologist. That Same evening at 11:30 Pm he replied:
" please don't trie to clean this yourself, I would like to meet you tomorrow!"

The next evening after work I went to see him and heard hos determination.
A bronze dagger, most lightly early Bronze age!!

It took a few monts for a full determination but it was worth waiting for.

" The triangled dagger kling has a length of 17,3 cm. The slightly bended top is damaged , two of the originally six Staples are missing.
At the widest point it messures 5,9 cm. The blade is decorated on both sides with a double edge. The handle could have been wood or bone and has parished. The dagger belongs to a group of " Bretonse-englisch daggers" and is lenticular. It is unknown if the dagger is manufactured in nothwest france or england. Four other daggers found in : 1921, 1928, 1960 and 1968 where all grave gifts. This dagger is obviously not. It was most lightly put in the ground as an offer. The owner of this dagger lived in a community That buried there dead on the " noordse veld" (north field's , an area nearby with a lot of tumuli). It is not known how the owner got in possesion of the exotic weapon. He probably was the last owner of a special object That came to the north of Holland by a long way of connections.
A dagger like this would not be used as a weapon. It was an prestige item to show That you where an important man in those days."

Hope you enjoyed!

Cheap Thrills
10-30-2015, 03:58 PM
Thank you that was very enjoyable .:perfect10:

Full Metal Digger
10-30-2015, 05:23 PM
That's awesome information! Thanks for sharing with us. HH, Dave.

Fire Fighter 43
10-31-2015, 10:05 AM
That is an a great story. Thank you for the history lesson, that is why I love this hobby so much. You just never know what you are going to unearth. You may want to add some photos for this post.

Metaldetectingeurope
11-03-2015, 11:39 AM
Hope this works. Two foto's when I just found it.

Metaldetectingeurope
11-03-2015, 11:41 AM
Yeah, it worked. :happy:I'm not That good with computers

Isaac
11-03-2015, 03:35 PM
That is AMAZING! Thanks for sharing!!! Can't imagine being able to find a 3000 year old DAGGER!!! :D

OxShoeDrew
11-03-2015, 04:19 PM
Woweee! That's still on my wish list :lol:
Great story!