PDA

View Full Version : Virgin site coughs up another copper +other digs this week

RIdirtdigger
11-03-2015, 05:50 PM
Saturday morning Jarrod and I headed back to the Virgin site we had found the previous week. I knew there had to be more there since we got so much in such a short time. This time, I woke up and did NOT sleep through my alarm :clapping:. We got to the spot early. The sun wasn't even up yet. We were just about to head into the area when we see a light shining in the woods. You see there is a hunting stand right near the old homesite and although the site is on town land, it is almost completly surrounded by private land. So we were worried he might be out hunting and using a flashlight to get his gear all set. I yell out "hello" but get no reply. Then I notice that the light hasn't moved. If there was someone there the light would have been moving around. I pull out my phone and realize we had miscalculated our location and were actually seeing a porch light from one of the houses in a nearby neighborhood. Whoops. Realizing this we headed into the area where the site was. We saw the stand and it was unoccupied. Off we went swinging. For some reason we didn't get as many finds as last time. I found several buttons right off the bat but it seems the people here dropped a lot of things spread out and not in a concentrated place. I got some nice silver applied shoe buckle pieces and other shoe buckle pieces. Jarrod got a complete iron shoe buckle but the tongue and chape were pretty much rotted away. He also got half to a shoe buckle frame. After several hours of detecting I finally get a nice high tone and pull out a copper. I saw the date of 1787 and thought it was a CT but it's actually a King George III. My 18th copper of the year :lol:. One of my last singles was a buckle. Any ideas on this one? We had a pretty good day but this will be out last trip there until after hunting season. Sunday I didn't have much time to detect so I hit a local colonial cellar I've been detecting at for 1.5 years. It's crazy that I'm still pulling targets here. I got a nice colonial flat button, a tombac shoe buckle fragment, and a colonial thimble. Monday I went back to a cellar in northern RI that I've done well at in the past. I wanted to give the place one last hunt before retiring it for the hunting season since it is right near a local gun club. No coppers but I got a really nice designed tombac button. Probably my best one. Today I only had a short time as it is dark so I went to a trail side cellar hole that was occupied up to the 60's. Only swung for 20 minutes but scored a fork, strange glass brass thing, a brass cap, and some scrap brass and your usual iron. This place doesn't seem to have been hit that hard. It also has some age to it as its on the 1850's map and probably was built long before that. Looks like it could have some potential, I am definitely gonna return. Overall Happy hunting!

OxShoeDrew
11-03-2015, 06:00 PM
Awesomeness!! Hey, how's the other side of that coin? So many targets!!:drool:Nice job!

RIdirtdigger
11-03-2015, 06:27 PM
Awesomeness!! Hey, how's the other side of that coin? So many targets!!:drool:Nice job!
Other side is totally toast but I was able to just see a right facing bust of King George III. I don't think you would be able to see it in a photo so I decided not to post it. And thanks!

RIdirtdigger
11-03-2015, 07:52 PM
I got a little ahead of myself I only have 18 coppers not 19. But that will change soon I hope. Lol

Skamaniac
11-03-2015, 10:54 PM
What a terrific site! Out our way on the left coast I get giddy if I find something older than my mother.

del
11-03-2015, 10:59 PM
The copper is a Machin Mills counterfeit a Vlack 17-87B. i believe Jim , here is a link to one with pictures , you have the coin in hand and can tell better .
http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/1787-machins-mills-halfpenny,-vlack-17-87b.-whitm-2248-c-7e441a08c4

Congrats on the nice buttons and shoe buckle fragments .

Dan

MangoAve
11-04-2015, 07:47 AM
Nice score. I think I saw a picture somewhere floating around where you could date that [broken] buckle. If that is the tombac, to which you were referring, next to the spoon bowl then it is a nice piece. Timmeh's is a little better design, but still it's a great find. idk why I haven't found a tombac yet. It's quite strange.

del
11-04-2015, 08:00 AM
idk why I haven't found a tombac yet. It's quite strange.

most read around the nickle range are you digging the low vdi's ??

MangoAve
11-04-2015, 09:04 AM
most read around the nickle range are you digging the low vdi's ??

I try to dig anything non-ferrous at cellars, and maybe at that 1798 house. The '42 war nickel I just got along with crotal and parasol tip reads about an 18 VDI. It had the big 'P' so it is def a war nickel. A regular nickel is a 23 VDI (yet the '44 war nickel I had last year I checked gives a 28 VDI...which now I can't fathom why the '42 reads so low having a silver content). But yes this explanation shows that I dig the low signals too. I got no buttons at the last site you and I (and TIm + Bri) and you saw the junk I did get. A few of those were low VDI. I think anything lower than 13 VDI I ignore, now, because of how many times it had been foil. I do get some shotty shells, but I think the Tpro software expands the low range and compresses the high range which means you see a different VDI between the shells and nickels. The GTI it's hard to tell a zincoln from copper penny, because it compresses that range. The TRanger compresses the low end (which a shotty and nickel....and prob tombac would be the same), but you can see a huge difference with a zincoln and copper penny and you can even tell the difference with a clad dime, silver dime, and clad quarter (ect). Just never got the coil over one, apparently. Or everyone I had was masked.

The Rebel
11-04-2015, 10:21 AM
Those are some nice scores! Always great when you can get a date.

RIdirtdigger
11-04-2015, 10:40 AM
The copper is a Machin Mills counterfeit a Vlack 17-87B. i believe Jim , here is a link to one with pictures , you have the coin in hand and can tell better .
http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/1787-machins-mills-halfpenny,-vlack-17-87b.-whitm-2248-c-7e441a08c4

Congrats on the nice buttons and shoe buckle fragments .

Dan
thanks Dan, obverse of the coin is in really bad shape but the reverse looks just like the one you sent me the link for. The patina fell off shortly after I dug the coin so I'm glad I was able to take a few pictures beforehand

aloldstuff
11-04-2015, 05:54 PM
A KG III is a great find. The photo of all your buttons and the other relics on the rock is pretty cool.

Bell-Two
11-06-2015, 08:55 AM
Nice finds, a Copper like that is always great and I love Tombacs!

RIdirtdigger
11-07-2015, 07:12 PM
I miscounted my coppers once again. I actually do have 19. LOL

Cheap Thrills
11-07-2015, 10:10 PM
Congrats on your finds and your photos are great .:thumbsup02:

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-08-2015, 12:52 AM
nice colonial goodies! well done

RIdirtdigger
11-08-2015, 06:03 PM
Thanks everyone!!!!