PDA

View Full Version : Missed targets found DEEP!

Digger_O'Dell
11-07-2015, 11:30 PM
Hi all,
Now that I have the CTX running strong and am getting comfortable with it I decided to go back to some areas that seemed promising but didn't do well with my X-Terra previously. Mostly I had the stock coil before recently, so likely that was the reason for missing so much before upgrading coils, and now the machine upgrade.

The first site was around the perimeter and along the road in front of an abandoned cemetery dating back to around 1847. It was abandoned around 1920 when the church supporting it went defunct, and the deed was never transferred to the church the members moved to so it became a no mans land. It was overgrown and hidden in heavy growth until only about 2 years ago when volunteers and a tree service/landscaping company volunteered to clean it up. Now it looks nice, but I think much of what was there must have been scraped off and fill put down as I found very little. Only coin was a memorial down about 8 inches. But I did find a couple artifacts including a broken brass carriage bolt, a lead strip, another piece of lead with steel rod in it, and shotgun shells.

The second site was the park I had recently found the silver rosie. This time I did manage to find a lot more trash, but I was digging a lot more aggressively. No more silver, but a few wheaties from the 40's and this token, likely from a Japanese slot machine:

Lastly is a church site that shown on an 1892 map. Earlier I had issues with tons of nails likely from a roofing job done on the church that masked most everything. This time though I did manage to pull out a wheatie out of the worst area on the lot! I also detected part of the yard area to the side, but it looks to have been filled in as well. Even recent memorials were about 4-7 inches deep. But I did manage to find some nice finds including a junker ring, a tie clip, some kind of brass "door", and some nickles that were all around the 9-12 inch mark. But, I will be back there as I have a lot of ground to cover including another yard to the rear.

groundhog53946
11-08-2015, 02:35 AM
Keep at it Chris! I know you will do well

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Skamaniac
11-08-2015, 05:20 AM
I found a piece exactly like what you describe as a brass "door" last year. I never did figure out what it is, but it sure seems like I've seen it before.

aloldstuff
11-08-2015, 06:17 AM
Going back to old sites with "confidence". Keep at it, your coil will find the goodies.

celtic fox
11-08-2015, 07:56 AM
ctx is a beast for depth on clean ground but hard work in trashy if you use 0 disc you will hear the good signals in amongst the iron :)

Cheap Thrills
11-08-2015, 05:50 PM
It's good to see how you and the CTX are progressing . I see some deep half dollars in your future .

wisconsin digger
11-08-2015, 08:28 PM
Its amazing the new ground a deeper detector opens up. I started with a lesser detector before I got the Etrac and it was astounding the difference it made. Now there is no park I go to where I don't expect to find something old. Nice hunts and nice to hear the 3030 is getting more comfortable. WD

Digger_O'Dell
11-08-2015, 09:39 PM
It's good to see how you and the CTX are progressing . I see some deep half dollars in your future .

Maybe I might see gold some day soon that I have water capability now too, and hoping for those gold land coins too!

Its amazing the new ground a deeper detector opens up. I started with a lesser detector before I got the Etrac and it was astounding the difference it made. Now there is no park I go to where I don't expect to find something old. Nice hunts and nice to hear the 3030 is getting more comfortable. WD

It's not that the X-Terra wasn't a deep machine-on the contrary! With the 15" coil running 3KHz it was a beast, much deeper than the CTX. But it only works to capacity in clean areas which are rare. Some of the problems come in with discrimination ability, masking of targets, falsing/interference, and consistency in target ID such as showing a quarter reading at maybe 9" and turning out to be a crushed soda can at 20". (Yes, I was stubborn enough to dig up that can!)
Now that I've gotten a couple dozen hours on the CTX, read the books, read the forums and watched every video I could find I feel very confident in my knowledge. Just need more time to make it second nature and get experience with a greater variety of conditions and targets.