PDA

View Full Version : BIG, (I mean really BIG!) Copper and Other Finds From This Past Week

milco
11-08-2015, 10:53 PM
This past week was an opportunity for me to get out quite a bit to take advantage of the nice fall weather and secure some finds before the cold comes.

My craziest find of this week came from a field, one of three that a friend and I hit that day. It was a 1.5lb chunk of float copper! Man did that thing give a sweet signal!

The other coin finds were two Washington quarters and a whole bunch of wheat cents from a street tearout project and an interesting locket with a photo and hair.

The other stuff below is from the fields. I pulled three nice coins from the fields; 1849LC and twin 1866 IH's.

Cheap Thrills
11-08-2015, 11:04 PM
Man you had some awesome hunting . That locket with the picture and the lock of hair is incredible .I imagine it would be next to impossible to find out who that is . It's mind blowing to know that DNA technology could do it though .:congrats:

Digger_O'Dell
11-08-2015, 11:41 PM
Holy Coppers batman-you found a LC around here? Huge congrats! I figured it was possible, but odds like winning the lottery! That float copper is sweet too, I've found some of that, just not that size. ;)

OxShoeDrew
11-09-2015, 04:29 AM
That locket is amazing!!!:shocked02: Can you get a sense of its age by what he's wearing or his hair? I found a picture of a couple from 1860 once but to have hair too!!! :congrats:

aloldstuff
11-09-2015, 06:05 AM
That locket is so cool. Finding the LC is great but getting two 1866 IH is fantastic. Dual silver quarters and the largest piece of copper I have ever seen.

I know that in the older days people would carry the hair of a loved one who had passed away. Wonder if this is the case here?

MangoAve
11-09-2015, 09:12 AM
Lol. I had a piece of brass read over what a silver dollar should. Boy was I disappointed when it came up. Same with hunting a field that was just iron after iron target with a handful of canslaw and bullet shells and then BAM, huge signal. And then its copper slag.

Nice score on the LC and IH. Judging by the quarter I would think the locket might have something to do with a person drafted or enlisted and it was for his sweetheart. I wonder if there are any identifiers on the locket.

milco
11-09-2015, 10:23 AM
Holy Coppers batman-you found a LC around here? Yes, they can be found around here from time to time if you get on the right spots. Thanks!

milco
11-09-2015, 10:25 AM
That locket is amazing!!!:shocked02: Can you get a sense of its age by what he's wearing or his hair? I found a picture of a couple from 1860 once but to have hair too!!! :congrats:

I believe the locket to be from the 1920's based upon the clothing. More research required. I do know which house I found it in front of, so we'll see.

The Rebel
11-09-2015, 01:01 PM
Pretty wild find! Definitely think that locket is Pre WWII. Also I do believe it is a mourning pc.

Lodge Scent
11-09-2015, 06:50 PM
I like that float copper! Have you found any copper projectiles Milco?

Bucknut
11-10-2015, 09:59 AM
Man what a great bunch of finds! That locket is really special!

GA1dad
11-10-2015, 01:12 PM
Looks like you were pretty much digging it all,,, and it looks to have paid off!! Conrats!!

groundhog53946
11-10-2015, 04:24 PM
Looks like you put your time to good use! Awesome finds

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

del
11-10-2015, 04:47 PM
Darren m you found some nice relics (with some age too) congrats on the large cent :cheering:and the float copper :happydance01:but that Mourning locket is the find of the year in my book , what an incredibly personable relic that no doubt someone felt even more pain or anguish when they lost this keepsake of a loved one . great great find :perfect10:.

Dan

milco
11-10-2015, 05:19 PM
I like that float copper! Have you found any copper projectiles Milco?

I have not, and if I did, I would never say or post online anyway. I am sure you know why.

milco
11-10-2015, 05:20 PM
Darren m you found some nice relics (with some age too) congrats on the large cent :cheering:and the float copper :happydance01:but that Mourning locket is the find of the year in my book , what an incredibly personable relic that no doubt someone felt even more pain or anguish when they lost this keepsake of a loved one . great great find :perfect10:.

Dan

Thanks Dan! Yes it was a fun day!

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-11-2015, 08:23 AM
love the locket!

Digger_O'Dell
11-26-2015, 01:29 AM
Yes, they can be found around here from time to time if you get on the right spots. Thanks!

I would really love to find out where these "right spots" are that you are finding LCs! I have been researching the heck out of this region of SE Wisconsin, and the few remaining places that
might have any chance of producing something that old have either been detected hard in the past, or have had so much soil removed or fill added over the years that nothing is found.

One example is a South East park along the lake. Vast area, but couldn't get anything older than mid 1980's-likely a really recent drop. Even the 1800's farm I am living on now has been so extensively thrashed over the years it was the same kind of finds-only very recent drops. The only exception was an old pewter underwear button from the field. Unfortunately most of the "old" places in the region have now been developed over and often paved or otherwise made inaccessible. Even the old parks dating to the 1830's have nothing left but modern trash so thick they are nearly undetectable although I will try again next year now I have the CTX, 6" coil and custom program for that type of situation.

We did have some Civil War camps in the area too, but as I traced their histories, places marked as historical points are not accurate. Such things as the buildings being relocated for road expansion or more development is common. Another sad thing is finding out that local governments have in the past often sold off prime park land to private developers so they could rake in big tax money. A couple examples of this are a former lakeside park on an inland lake and even here in Milwaukee where the big park horse track near downtown was developed.

Please excuse the rant, but it does become aggravating when the greed of the few paves over our past and develops on top of out local heritage.

Silver Spring Park, Milwaukee-1859

ancienthunter83
11-26-2015, 01:58 PM
A busy week there,and some good finds to boot.Nice old coppers plus a nice silver quarter. Heck. that chunk of copper would have put most machines into overload condition.