PDA

View Full Version : Group Hunt, Then Solo

OxShoeDrew
11-11-2015, 02:14 PM
I had the pleasure of spending a day (whole day :lol:) with Lee, Brian, and Dan last Saturday. We hiked over a mile into the hilly woods on paths as old as they come in the US.
Dan brought us to one of his sites, a seriously large hole:shocked02: I'm usually the one who runs away and isn't heard from, but that day I never lost site of the hole as I kept digging non-ferrous targets within yards of the cellar. The saddle decoration and drawer pull were right near the lip...but oddly, NO COINS!
On the way out Dan found a REALLY old hole that we (or at least I) would have walked right by. There were tombac buttons everywhere...but again, NO COINS :shocked03:
I got to see Lee dig his first ox shoe:) and hopefully his last :lol:...also dandy with a bust!? Did you ever ID that?
...and I saw Brian dig a sweetly designed dandy button!
This morning I went to one of my fields....slipping on cow poop and wet grass, I dug the four coins and colonial knee buckle frame. Thanks for looking!

PS I finally found out what those oval, two piece things are!!! I found a bunch of them together, along with the clips, they are for coats. The clip fit perfectly in the base....then I remembered having a coat like that!!!:shocked01::lol: So they are old, but NOT THAT OLD:lol:

del
11-11-2015, 02:39 PM
yeah I wouldn't of minded the long hike if that first area had a cellar hole , all them large fields and no site , I don't get it :dontknow: . The large cellar we did hit was pretty beat but they did leave some brass targets here an there and the cabin site was interesting that i wouldn't mind going back to again and exploring some more . Congrats on the nice knee buckle frame it has great patina and thanks for solving those brass mystery ovals !!:cheering:

RIdirtdigger
11-11-2015, 06:49 PM
Looks like you guys had a nice day. Those must have been some pretty old cellar holes.

aloldstuff
11-11-2015, 06:50 PM
At least it was only a one mile hike......:lol:. Congrats on that knee buckle, looks great.

Digger_O'Dell
11-11-2015, 08:49 PM
Looks like a good day all together, with some nice finds to boot-even a silver merc! Congrats!

MangoAve
11-12-2015, 08:01 AM
HEY HEY!! You figured out what those ovals were. I was wondering what it was. Esp I dug one the weekend before last. You got the clips to at least let you figure out. That buckle is pretty nice, and you even got an oxknob. There's no way Dan sniffed out all the coins before but left you one single ox knob to find. Lol.

Cheap Thrills
11-13-2015, 12:49 AM
" Slipping on cow poop and wet grass"..........that would be a heck of a title for a Country and Western song .:rofl: Congrats on a couple of nice hunts Drew .

BTV Digger
11-13-2015, 10:29 AM
Nice finds Drew and keep your head up in them fields for the poop! Buckle looks great by the way. I've hit similar cellar holes where there are a number of non-ferrous targets but no coins. Uncommon, but not surprising if the folks were poor.

John

Lodge Scent
11-14-2015, 03:36 PM
Another nice group of finds there Drew. I like the spoon, it has a unique shape.

The Rebel
11-17-2015, 03:17 PM
Nice goin Drew!