PDA

View Full Version : KG II - LC - Buttons

aloldstuff
11-17-2015, 03:10 PM
So I went back to my favorite field today. Got 2 more coins for my signature.

One of them is a 1730 KG II, sadly someone shot it. As I was rubbing it off I was thinking to myself that this had better not be a shot CT. I guess I can live with King George being shot.

The next one would be 1845 LC, pretty good shape. The 2nd to the last photo shows the coppers with some ren wax on them.

Also got a 1919 wheat so I guess you can say I got 3 centuries of copper.

Managed a round ball, and 2 flat buttons. One of them has Treble Gilt as a back mark.

Thanks for reading and HH everyone.

10X
11-17-2015, 04:15 PM
Those are some nice finds. The LC is in great condition, and the KG would be also without the hole. I don't think it's made from a bullet though. Congrats! :thumbsup01:

del
11-17-2015, 04:41 PM
nice coppers Al , I agree with Earle the KGII looks like it was possibly drilled . its interesting to see what people did to money or coins back then , i suspect that one was going to be used as a washer .

Dan

aloldstuff
11-17-2015, 05:25 PM
Those are some nice finds. The LC is in great condition, and the KG would be also without the hole. I don't think it's made from a bullet though. Congrats! :thumbsup01:

nice coppers Al , I agree with Earle the KGII looks like it was possibly drilled . its interesting to see what people did to money or coins back then , i suspect that one was going to be used as a washer .

Dan

Thanks for the replies but what about the 2nd picture from the bottom. It looks to me like someone pounded the exit side down onto the coin. Wouldn't a washer have the hole in the middle? Thoughts???

del
11-17-2015, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the replies but what about the 2nd picture from the bottom. It looks to me like someone pounded the exit side down onto the coin. Wouldn't a washer have the hole in the middle? Thoughts???

well typically a shot coin is also very bent from the force of a bullet punching a hole through it , yours from the pictures looks pretty straight .

aloldstuff
11-17-2015, 06:05 PM
Good point......never thought of that. A shame someone did that though.

Cheap Thrills
11-17-2015, 06:05 PM
Wether it was done by a gun or a drill I'm going to say that KG is shot . :lol: That is one nice Large Cent ! Congrats on your finds .:thumbsup02:

MIKE54
11-18-2015, 06:01 PM
The 1st silver coin I ever found was a 1872 seated dime with a hole drilled in it , the back sanded smooth and the name "Harry" engraved on it so I feel your pain, a nice coin anyway!!

aloldstuff
11-19-2015, 02:02 PM
This KG is only the 2nd holed coin that I have dug. Here's a picture of the 1st....