PDA

View Full Version : Old Brass and No Clue

Pennsylvania Treasures
11-21-2015, 09:04 AM
Can't remember exactly where I found this but I do believe it was at a 1700's site. Solid Brass. Any ideas or feedback is greatly appreciated Thanks!

Keep on Swinging Everyone! :detecting:

Cheap Thrills
11-21-2015, 09:54 AM
It looks like a clapper to a bell to me . Perhaps never drilled out or it looks like the hole could be packed with dirt .

Tony Two-Cent
11-21-2015, 11:03 AM
It looks like a clapper to a bell to me . Perhaps never drilled out or it looks like the hole could be packed with dirt .

That was my first thought as well. Looks like a bell clapper to me. :yes:

Full Metal Digger
11-21-2015, 11:48 AM
Nor sure what it is but that is an AWESOME Indian head cent!

Pennsylvania Treasures
11-21-2015, 05:33 PM

Could be, but there is no hole through the "stem" of it. Also wouldn't it be to small?

Cheap Thrills
11-21-2015, 11:02 PM
Could be, but there is no hole through the "stem" of it. Also wouldn't it be to small?

Small bell = small clapper ? There is a certain knot used to tie line to fish hooks made without holes that have the end of the shank flattened .Maybe this type of knot or a similar one was used on this type of clapper with a strip of rawhide . I'm just guessing here .

del
11-22-2015, 01:55 PM
my gosh , it almost looks like someone poured molten brass into a musket round ball bullet mold :confused:

Pennsylvania Treasures
11-22-2015, 06:25 PM
my gosh , it almost looks like someone poured molten brass into a musket round ball bullet mold :confused:
Dan that looks actually just about what happened with the "nipple" break off point, but the play thing is what would the "stem" be doing there? Guessing it's at least 150 years old due to the very green brass?

Pennsylvania Treasures
11-22-2015, 06:31 PM
Small bell = small clapper ? There is a certain knot used to tie line to fish hooks made without holes that have the end of the shank flattened .Maybe this type of knot or a similar one was used on this type of clapper with a strip of rawhide . I'm just guessing here .

Definitley a possibility! Thanks for the feedback!