PDA

View Full Version : Not done yet!

Digger_O'Dell
11-21-2015, 07:19 PM
Hi all!
Well, this morning we were about midway through our first winter storm warning of the season, but I figured the ground wasn't frozen yet and I wasn't mistaken. Nice thing is that with the fresh snow I could make sure my grid pattern was dead on and wouldn't miss anything. I didn't find a whole lot, but decided to dig some of the lower pull tab or borderline trash signals I didn't dig first time through this yard. Sure enough, they were all trash except one where I pulled up a cheap gold plated pewter tie clip. Since it rang up as a pull tab I had hoped for a moment it was the real thing, but again I got fooled.

Bucknut
11-21-2015, 08:45 PM
We got about 8 inches here in SE Michigan. It should melt in s couple days but I'm sure my days are numbered til spring.

Digger_O'Dell
11-21-2015, 09:20 PM
We got about 8 inches here in SE Michigan. It should melt in s couple days but I'm sure my days are numbered til spring.

I'm hoping that it melts off after the brief cold snap we are expecting over the next day or two. So far it's predicted to be in the upper 40's over thanksgiving and I hope it stays that way because I have a full day hunt planned for next Friday starting at an obscure 1850 church I located basically in the middle of nowhere. Apparently the "town" died out almost 100 years ago. Then I have up to another 4 more very old churches and an abandoned late 1800's school to detect as time permits.

Cheap Thrills
11-21-2015, 10:48 PM
nice going on the tie clip and the picture . It's nice to hear you've got some new sites lined up for the near future .

Skamaniac
11-22-2015, 12:20 AM
That's a nice little surprise!

OxShoeDrew
11-22-2015, 05:16 AM
Wow, sounds like you have some good spots lined up! Its amazing how much land we miss...It takes sooo long to cover an area. I love a dusting to an inch. Hey, turn that clip upside down and you could wear it Digger!:lol:

Digger_O'Dell
11-22-2015, 06:47 AM
. ..........Hey, turn that clip upside down and you could wear it Digger!:lol:

Too funny! But then I would have to get a left handed shirt! :hystericallaugh:

That list didn't include a rarely used (in recent times) town square dating back to the early 1800's that is just a decorative park now, another mid 1800's school, and many others now on the list from the past couple days researching.

del
11-22-2015, 01:47 PM
:hairpulling::bangahead02::bangahead02::ticked:I hate snow and the cold !!

BTV Digger
11-22-2015, 05:35 PM
Great to see you can still get out and hunt. Snow has yet to fly here in northern New England. Quite the rarity for this late in the year.

John

aloldstuff
11-23-2015, 05:55 AM
:hairpulling::bangahead02::bangahead02::ticked:I hate snow and the cold !!

When I saw the 1st picture with the snow, a feeling of dread came over me.

chief5709
11-23-2015, 06:27 AM
ewww snow... glad you got out and yes I also like that you can "see" your detecting grid

Lodge Scent
11-23-2015, 05:24 PM
That is a perfect amount of snow to detect in when you are out in the woods! The snow is your friend. It doesn't lie. You can see precisely where you have been already and how bad your sweep pattern is. You would be horrified at how bad your normal sweep pattern can be. That's one reason why you can find stuff at "pounded" sites. There is a lot of ground that is just missed do to gaps in the coil sweeps.

MangoAve
11-24-2015, 09:03 AM
At least you nabbed something. Nice find.

That is a perfect amount of snow to detect in when you are out in the woods! The snow is your friend. It doesn't lie. You can see precisely where you have been already and how bad your sweep pattern is. You would be horrified at how bad your normal sweep pattern can be. That's one reason why you can find stuff at "pounded" sites. There is a lot of ground that is just missed do to gaps in the coil sweeps.

Yes, it is good to see where you been, but I do somehow leave a trail in the leaves now to see where I been. It looks like I have something dragging behind me as I walk. Lol. I'm with Dan on the snow. It was a nice thing when I was young, but not anymore. Not since I have to work in it, shovel my own driveway (cuz there are no brothers or father to do it), drive in it and get agitated. People don't even know how to drive when there isn't snow on the ground. I was able to nab a largie last Jan, and then go out the following day and be forced out by cold and snow.