PDA

View Full Version : 1719 King George Coppah !!!!!!!!!

Mr. Digger
11-22-2015, 05:37 PM
It's been a good week for me on the old coppers. Earlier in the week I found my first 1600's coin....a 1693 William & Mary halfpenny. Then a couple of days ago (in a different spot) I found this 1719 King George I halfpenny....my first of this type. Thanks for looking and HH!

del
11-22-2015, 05:51 PM
its a great looking coin but it looks a bit disproportionate , about how big is this coin ??

Isaac
11-22-2015, 06:03 PM
That looks like it was nicely preserved! Congrats!

The Rebel
11-22-2015, 07:31 PM
Sweet find. Never seen that design before for KG I. Could be a counterfeit?

Digger_O'Dell
11-22-2015, 07:41 PM
Very good condition for a coin that age, and I have never seen one like it. You're on a roll, keep it up! Congrats! :congrats:

del
11-22-2015, 08:02 PM
Sweet find. Never seen that design before for KG I. Could be a counterfeit?

that is a very good possibly Roger , all George Ist coins i see have the double N in the word BRITANNIA .

Like this example

could yours Mr. Digger just be worn or weak at that spot , can you see any parts of the first N ??

Iron Patch
11-22-2015, 08:09 PM
that is a very good possibly Roger , all George Ist coins i see have the double N in the word BRITANNIA .

Like this example

could yours Mr. Digger just be worn or weak at that spot , can you see any parts of the first N ??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1719-George-I-non-regal-halfpenny-Struck-EXCEEDINGLY-RARE-89-4-grains-/301611185746?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&nma=true&si=6PJeiORQKKfgr5M1HUMzdxbsKdI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

No, it's actually this one. :)

del
11-22-2015, 08:31 PM
so its just a weak or worn area of the die or one the coin itself ?? I'm glad you chimed in and pointed that out Patch :thumbsup02: I believe you are one of the most informed guys out there when it comes to British coppers . Thanks

Iron Patch
11-22-2015, 08:40 PM
so its just a weak or worn area of the die or one the coin itself ?? I'm glad you chimed in and pointed that out Patch :thumbsup02: I believe you are one of the most informed guys out there when it comes to British coppers . Thanks

Considering both sides of the Ebay one are weak I think it's just circulation wear, and the one posted above, even dug, is better. Which is sort of interesting because you have to wonder how many coins it took to wear the die that much, yet there seems to be very few of these around. That said, it's the kind of coin that could easily slip under the radar, so 10 years from now there could be so many around it's only a $50-$100 coin. Or like things sometimes go, we don't see anymore and the value doubles.... but my money would be on more showing up, the question is how many and over what period of time. If I dug it would be part of my collection for good, but if I bought it, it would be for sale tonight.

Mr. Digger
11-22-2015, 08:42 PM

Like this example

Del I'm looking very closely and I can just make out the hint of the left side of the "N" and the top of the head but it is very smooth there.

Cheap Thrills
11-22-2015, 10:06 PM
Congrats on your nice find Mr. Digger a very cool coin indeed .

aloldstuff
11-23-2015, 05:30 AM
Super find. Great looking coin considering the age and being dug. I actually like yours better than the Ebay one. So the question is, you going to keep it or sell it???

Mr. Digger
11-23-2015, 09:20 AM
Super find. Great looking coin considering the age and being dug. I actually like yours better than the Ebay one. So the question is, you going to keep it or sell it???

Thanks Al...definitely keep. Will admit to being curious about professional cleaning and having it graded/slabbed/ID'ed but I probably won't do that.

nalc472
11-23-2015, 11:52 AM
Great find. Would never find one here in Indiana. Need to head your way LOL.

MangoAve
11-24-2015, 09:34 AM
Nice score on that. It is great shape being just under 300 years old.

Thanks Al...definitely keep. Will admit to being curious about professional cleaning and having it graded/slabbed/ID'ed but I probably won't do that.

I'd prob do the same. I could get my Nova graded, but I think I'll just put it in a coin holder and leave the nice green patina on there as-is.

Iron Patch
11-24-2015, 03:27 PM

A few years back a person sent a beautiful dug 1877 indian with a green patina for professional cleaning, and they certainly cleaned it... fried the surface right off the coin. I'd think twice about that, because if there's nothing you can do, you're asking for trouble to let someone else give it a go.

The grade won't be a big help because it would say environmental damage.

And there's no more to be said on the ID than what you already know... it's a struck George I counterfeit Halfpenny.... that's it that's all. In fact, a grader would most likely just sent it back to you saying it's not a genuine coin.