PDA

View Full Version : New from Michigan

MI Detectors
11-23-2015, 09:51 AM
Hello...... new to this hobby. Bought two new machines from my local dealer in Plainwell, Michigan, and two days later it snowed 4 inches. But we're excited to get going, we bought a White's Treasure Pro, and a Garrett AT Pro, not really beginners machines but we didn't want to get bored with our machines and want to upgrade in two years. So we spent a little more and bought two machines I think we'll be happy with. Hit a few targets in the yard with the White's as soon as we got home, just foil and junk, but it looks as if we'll have no trouble getting familiar with our new toys. Looking forward to hitting our local parks as soon as I can find out what the rules are about such things.:detecting: Dave

Digger Don
11-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Hi Dave, Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois.
Don't worry, the snow will melt and you will be out swinging before you know it.

Tony Two-Cent
11-23-2015, 10:03 AM
Welcome to the forum, Dave! We're glad you joined us. Parks are a good place to detect, but don't forget the yards of nearby friends and family. Private residences are often very productive, especially if it's an older house.

Best of luck, and be sure to keep us updated on your progress! :yes:

MI Detectors
11-23-2015, 12:15 PM
Thanks gentlemen........It's interesting to me you're both from Illinois. I'm originally from Chicago, city kid from the N side. Went to school in Carbondale, in S. Illinois.

Full Metal Digger
11-23-2015, 02:29 PM
Welcome to the forum from another Illinois detectorist! Lots of good folks and advice on here. I started with an ACE 250 and 19 months later had found enough stuff to buy an e-trac! Several Michigan guys on here too. Best wishes and HH, Dave.

GA1dad
11-23-2015, 04:19 PM
Welcome to AD! Sounds like you're all geared up and ready to go!! Look forward to seeing your finds!!

del
11-23-2015, 06:51 PM
Hello Dave and welcome !! we have many great people here from the Michigan , Wisconsin and Illinois areas . Hope you get a chance to meet a few in person .
Glad you joined up !

Dan

Digger_O'Dell
11-23-2015, 07:30 PM
Welcome from SE Wisconsin! We do seem to have quite a few people (and a little competition ;)) around the great lakes area and in the Midwest. You will find lots of information here and people always willing to help if you need advice while starting out in the hobby. The Garrett AT and the Whites are good machines and many people do very well with them, but if you're like me you will be itching to upgrade before long. I started with an advanced level machine - Minelab X-Terra 705 this spring. But after putting in a couple hundred hours detecting this year alone, I now recently upgraded to a top of the line Minelab CTX 3030. The treasure bug bites after a few good finds and it happens before you know it! :lol: Just this past summer there have been some great finds coming out of Michigan, so I think you will do just fine. Just remember to take lots of photos to post here!

aloldstuff
11-23-2015, 08:26 PM
Welcome from western MA. Looks like you are well armed as far as detectors go. We have a lot of members who use the ATPro and make great finds with them. Looking forward to seeing your treasures.

Bucknut
11-24-2015, 11:21 AM
Welcome from SE Michigan! Here in Michigan you can legally hunt parks as long as there are no signs stating otherwise. Same with public schools...but you should only hunt the schools well after school hours.

Anyways hope you enjoy the hobby!

MI Detectors
11-24-2015, 09:49 PM
Thanks everyone! Made the calls and did the leg work to get the all clear from the city and the police in my town to search the city parks. They all acted like they had never had anyone ask before. I called the city office of codes and ordinances and asked about it and was told as far as they knew there were no rules not allowing anyone to metal detect the parks, but check with the police. I went by there this afternoon and was told by the officer on duty to have fun. So we have the green light to search all of our parks, which is quit a lot of ball fields and soccer fields. Then there are several pavilions and riverfront parks as well. Really excited about the possibilities with this permission. Will post pictures of our first find that isn't trash. We've already found plenty of that in our yard. Dave

Skamaniac
11-25-2015, 10:08 PM
Welcome from Washington state. Hope you get some great finds under your belt soon!

local_coins
12-01-2015, 02:03 PM
I stopped by Plainwell yesterday and talked to Al for a while! He has so many great stories!

Fire Fighter 43
12-07-2015, 12:39 PM
Welcome to the forum and hobby Dave from SE Wisconsin. Unfortunately we have to deal with snow and frozen ground here in the Midwest. It does allow us time for research, so give that a try and you can hit the ground running in the spring. Good luck once you get out and have a good winter.