PDA

View Full Version : Coil working again

GA1dad
11-23-2015, 04:26 PM
A few weeks back I managed to get water in my 8x6 detech coil. I loved that coil and it was missed. After spending some time in a bag of rice I got her out and she seems to work just fine. I had a couple of hours yesterday morning and hit a patch of planted pines that lay beside a small river. I didn't find much but managed an early Merc amidst the shotgun shells and iron.

del
11-23-2015, 05:17 PM
Hmmm , coils themselves are almost always waterproof . could you have accidentally "whack" it on a rock or stump and crack it ?? if not you should see about getting it replaced , maybe it has a defect in the plastic housing.

Digger_O'Dell
11-23-2015, 08:11 PM
Hmmm , coils themselves are almost always waterproof ...

Not really true-almost all the minelab coils are only "water resistant", and I think many other manufacturers make similar coils likely to save money, weight, etc.

del
11-23-2015, 08:38 PM
I used a detech on my dfx and its been submerged in water many times and always swinging through wet grass and brush and I have not had any problems. All Whites coils are water proof , I would assume most Garret coils are too since they have a few waterproof machines .

the reason a lot of companies make them this way is to keep out dust and dirt as well .

MangoAve
11-24-2015, 08:40 AM
Nice merc.

I agree with Dan. I looked at both the Detech (or SEF) and the NEL coils. They all said waterproof. Even the majority of Texas First coils are waterproof. I said on a FB group, too, that the wires inside are enameled. I have not been gentle with my coils due to the brush and branches that get stuck in the open face. I have knocked it slightly on some stone work, but not too hard.