PDA

View Full Version : Post Thanksgiving Day Hunts / Seasons Not Over Yet!! (Pic Heavy)

Digger Don
11-29-2015, 02:26 PM
I took a drive a couple hours west on Black Friday. I started at small park. I didn't find any coins, but I did dig a very corroded watch fob. After a bit of electrolysis, I was able to see that it was from the 1893 Worlds Fair in Chicago. I didn't know it at the time, but I was off to a good start. Next, I hit a house that Hiluxyota and I did about three weeks ago. There was a lot of yard we never touched. Without going into a lot of detail, I dug, a 1936 Merc, an 1888 Indian, a 1948 Rosie, a 1944 Washington, a spill including a 1957 Canadian silver dime & 2 wheat pennies
I also dug a really cool old buckle of some sort with a patent date of 1866, a 10 cent play money coin and old cuff link.
On the way home, I stopped at the 1867 church again and was able to dig a worn 1903 Barber Dime.

Saturday, Hiluxyota and I decided to try a couple of new spots in the same area we've been hunting. We got absolutely nothing at parks so the door knocking began. The first house said yes, but only until his wife got home, then we would have to leave. My first signal, I dug a 1909 Indian. My second signal was 2' away and was another deep 12-37. Just as I knelt down to dig the plug he came out and said "She's home. You got to go" He actually looked scared. LOL . We got up and left. After that, things were very slow. All I found in the next couple of hours was a 1981 class ring. ( and yes, I did check with the owners. It wasn't theirs and there were no initials on it )
On the way home, we stopped at the 1867 church once again, Tom was first on the board there, but I did manage a 1905 V nickel. Sunday, I slept in!!!

Cheap Thrills
11-29-2015, 04:07 PM
..... and on the seventh day he rested . Some awesome hunting and a great reason for resting . Awesome pictures too !:congrats::perfect10:

Full Metal Digger
11-29-2015, 04:20 PM
WOW, great finds Don! I was SO hoping that 1909 indian cent had a mint mark. Of course you know how much I love all things that are World's Fair related :-), that is a great fob you found. Any ideas what that brass thingamajig is? Perhaps part of a suspender clip? Congrats on all your great finds and HH, Dave.

aloldstuff
11-29-2015, 05:02 PM
Great hunting, as always. I love reading your posts because at the very bottom is your signature listing all your fantastic finds....:thumbsup02:

wisconsin digger
11-29-2015, 05:53 PM
Great hunt. I have yet to dig a watch FOB. Never dug a 1909 Indian yet either. Some great hunts Don. Hope you get a video posted. Thx WD

Digger Don
11-29-2015, 06:07 PM
Great hunt. I have yet to dig a watch FOB. Never dug a 1909 Indian yet either. Some great hunts Don. Hope you get a video posted. Thx WD
I have two in the editing room now. You still have time to get your FOB this year. GOOD LUCK

Digger_O'Dell
11-30-2015, 12:53 AM
Wow, great hunting! Those are some nice looking coins, and a great range of dates including the buckle!:congrats:

Tony Two-Cent
11-30-2015, 08:12 AM
Fantastic finds, Don! You are really killing it this year! It seems like just yesterday you were asking me for lessons on the E-Trac, now you should be giving me lessons! :yes:

I love that 1893 Worlds Fair fob! :thumbsup02:

MangoAve
11-30-2015, 09:52 AM
Nice finds. I love the color of that ring stone. Looks almost like alexandrite. Sweet how you can get a date off that buckle. I have to look into the mintage of IH in 1909 because they switched to the wheats that year. I rarely know mintage numbers, so that's why I have to look into it. Both IH are in great shape otherwise.

Digger Don
11-30-2015, 10:02 AM
Fantastic finds, Don! You are really killing it this year! It seems like just yesterday you were asking me for lessons on the E-Trac, now you should be giving me lessons! :yes:

I love that 1893 Worlds Fair fob! :thumbsup02:
Thanks Tony, You have no idea how much help you actually were, Between hunting with you and watching your videos, I learned a lot.
I look forward to getting together again sometime in the future. Don

GA1dad
11-30-2015, 12:57 PM
Awesome finds Don!! That V nickel has some good detail!! Congrats!!