PDA

View Full Version : Indian Wars??

GA1dad
11-30-2015, 11:43 AM
I personally didn't know a lot about what's called "The Indian War Era". Did a little reading and thought I'd share one link. Not sure how accurate it is ( or isn't ), but it was a good read just the same.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/05/25/how-the-civil-war-became-the-indian-wars/?_r=0

del
11-30-2015, 05:52 PM
it was a good read GA1dad thanks for taking the time to post it , Generally the term "Indian Wars era" is referring to the time period from just after the Civil War to about the time of the Spanish -American War . A 30 year period when a the majority of the larger battles happened with the Native American nations from the great plains and west.

Digger_O'Dell
11-30-2015, 07:39 PM
Funny how this came up today-I was just watching a documentary series about this topic this morning! What gets me is that the Indians fought on the side of the North during the civil war, mostly because they didn't want to possibly become slaves themselves. But, once the war ended then our wonderful government went back to business as usual killing and or relocating the native populations to make way for the white settlers. That being said, one neat fact that I learned today was that the Seminoles in Florida were the only tribe to never be defeated and to never sign a treaty. They only made their first negotiations with the US government in the 1950's!