PDA

View Full Version : Found while metal detecting...?

Liu tree
12-07-2015, 02:05 AM
my brother and i were at a lake in TEXAS . got a reading but had to move some rocks to get down to it. he tossed a rock, then another that hit the first rock, it split open and a fossil was inside. we were excited, so we moved other rocks, breaking them as we went. all told we found 5 fossils, each a little larger or smaller than the first. interesting thing is...one of these still had 'body parts' in it. what ever made the forms in the rocks still hadn't disappeared. it was only 1/2 gone. the fossils are about 1/4" wide x 11/8"x 1 5/8" long. rounded at ea. end. we think it may be dung that survived all these millions of years it takes to form a fossil, but at least we'd know what ever made the dung (if that's what it is) was eating all those years ago. for reasons unknown to me if you have any ideas as to what it might be, when i click on the answer (if any) i am unable to open the idea as to what it may be so i guess ya'll know i found a fossil of some sort w/ parts of it still in it.

MI Detectors
12-07-2015, 08:15 AM
Pictures would be helpful, however it would be very unusual for any organic matter to survive most types of fossilization. I have collected a piece of petrified wood that was partially replaced in a volcanic region out West once. I might suggest calling the local college and speak to someone in the sciences department who may have some knowledge of the area and the types of fossils found in that region. Dave

Skamaniac
12-07-2015, 04:38 PM
I agree with Dave. I'd ask a geologist. I'd love to know what you find out.

Digger_O'Dell
12-07-2015, 07:11 PM
I would agree-contact the local college/university and get in touch with their paleontology dept. If in fact you did find organic matter that would be an extremely rare discovery. I would suggest wrapping it in plastic and freezing it to preserve it until you can have it checked out. Any DNA samples would likely need to be as pristine as possible.