PDA

View Full Version : November digs from the other side

bob_e99
12-08-2015, 08:37 AM
As my son mentioned, my wife and I recently moved from southern NH to New York. Long story short, the whole process took a lot of time leaving very little opportunity to metal detect. The year before that was filled with 'life events' so basically I'm just getting back into detecting after a long hiatus.

Detecting with my son is just an awesome experience as he is very good at it and he keeps me laughing. While he was pulling up the deep dimes, I was just pulling up stuff that was more obvious.

Not the quantity that he got (not even close) but I am a happy camper with two halves in one week (only my second and third). The worn SLQ also made me want to do a happy dance but I try to restrain myself in front of my son less he thinks I'm taunting him :lol:

Good to be back and hope I can find enough stuff to keep posting.

Happy hunting everyone.

Tony Two-Cent
12-08-2015, 08:50 AM
Great bunch of finds, Bob! No wonder Matt didn't find any quarters or halves, you got them all! :thumbsup02:

Of interest is the 1916 Walking Liberty Half with the mint mark on the obverse. (I assume it's a D.) First year of issue and after 1917 the mint mark was always on the reverse. Very nice find!

And of course I'm always jealous of the Franklin Halves since I've never found one. :envious:

Standing Liberty Quarters are always a thrilling find no matter how worn they are! :yes: Is yours a Type I or a Type II?

Congrats on being able to get out for some detecting and making some nice finds! :clapping:

Bucknut
12-08-2015, 09:30 AM
Wow! Lots of big old silver there! Even a worn out SLQ is one of the prettiest US coins IMO. Way to get those big obvious silvers before your son did!

bob_e99
12-08-2015, 10:33 AM
Thanks Tony.

Yes, the mint mark on the WLH is a 'D'. So close to being a Barber but I'm not complaining (too much).

The SLQ is a Type II and I agree with you regarding the thrill of finding one.

I'm hoping that my losing the potential to find big copper in southern NH is made up by hopefully by finding more silver here, although my son has pretty much depleted a lot of sites :eyebrow:

z118
12-08-2015, 02:16 PM
Nice digs! However, you are supposed to be detecting ahead of me to clear out all the trash, NOT the big silvers. Please work on that. :lol:

aloldstuff
12-08-2015, 06:46 PM
Nice digs! However, you are supposed to be detecting ahead of me to clear out all the trash, NOT the big silvers. Please work on that. :lol:

:coffeelaugh:

Now that was funny. From the looks of your "obvious" finds, I'd stay out in front of Matt. Like Tony, I also am looking for my 1st Franklin, congrats on all those keepers and for getting the move done.

Cheap Thrills
12-08-2015, 07:31 PM
That's a great hunt !! I could look at those pictures all day .

Digger_O'Dell
12-08-2015, 07:34 PM
Congrats on those great silvers! Beautiful coins!

wisconsin digger
12-09-2015, 05:38 PM
Great finds and congrats on the 1st year Walker. Not many of those found. Great start on getting back at swinging. WD