PDA

View Full Version : Garret Ace 350 - best use of $300 budget for beginner?

Toddrick
12-14-2015, 03:25 AM
I really wanted to start with something that had VDI, but as far as I can tell, none have VDI in my price range. The Ace350 seems like the next best thing. Or would I be happier with a Fishers F2 do you think, even though it is cheaper?

Full Metal Digger
12-14-2015, 08:24 AM
Welcome to the forum! My advice is to see if you can find an ACE 250 (new or used) in your budget.

MangoAve
12-14-2015, 09:05 AM
I picked up my time ranger for around $200 and it has a VDI. Just realize it is an older model. It prob has the same recovery time of the ACE series and I made some good finds with it. It was better most places with EMI than my new TreasurePro. I'll admit the ACE are a good starting point. Check the new F44 from fisher. Idr how close the price was but I think it too could be beneficial for you to start with, and prob keep for quite a few years before you decide to upgrade. I think the ACE you might want to upgrade after one season....that's what I been seeing from the people who started with them. White's is discontinuing the coinmaster series so those you can pick up for cheaper too, now. About in your price range.

Toddrick
12-14-2015, 04:23 PM
I picked up my time ranger for around $200 and it has a VDI. Just realize it is an older model. It prob has the same recovery time of the ACE series and I made some good finds with it. It was better most places with EMI than my new TreasurePro. I'll admit the ACE are a good starting point. Check the new F44 from fisher. Idr how close the price was but I think it too could be beneficial for you to start with, and prob keep for quite a few years before you decide to upgrade. I think the ACE you might want to upgrade after one season....that's what I been seeing from the people who started with them. White's is discontinuing the coinmaster series so those you can pick up for cheaper too, now. About in your price range.

Yes, the Fisher F44 looks like a winner for sure, and it is only $350. It shows numbers so that means it has VDI right? I'll probably never need another detector if I get that one. Interesting how the F4's are still $400 and the new and improved F44's are less--am I missing something?

Full Metal Digger
12-14-2015, 05:48 PM
i'll probably never need another detector if i get that one.

famous last words! Lol!

MangoAve
12-15-2015, 07:47 AM
Yes, the Fisher F44 looks like a winner for sure, and it is only $350. It shows numbers so that means it has VDI right? I'll probably never need another detector if I get that one. Interesting how the F4's are still $400 and the new and improved F44's are less--am I missing something?

Yes the numbers are the VDI. I am not sure why the F4's are still more. Haven't compared them side by side. There could be some guesses on why, but merely speculation with no proof. The F44 might just be cheaper to manufacture using newer technology, or it was made lower to compete with the entry + mid level detectors.

famous last words! Lol!

Lol. I can see many reasons to have a backup, esp things like EMI. My BH was unusable at Rocky Neck beach, but worked perfect at Hammonasset. The Tpro wont work at the medal spill house, but the BH does. The GTI is the only one I found to work at the 1862 house.
Seeing as the top priced are the Etrac, CTX, Deus, and V3i....but I been seeing people go backwards to lower level machines doesn't quite help the argument that you always go to a higher level machine.

GA1dad
12-15-2015, 12:19 PM
I started with an Ace 350, and I very quickly wanted to upgrade to a VDI machine. Not that the VDI's are much more accurate than the Ace indicators ( they still bounce around and vary with depth ),,, but it's another piece of date that helps decide whether to dig or not.