PDA

View Full Version : Friday permission, a cellar hole defeat, and my oldest silver.

MangoAve
12-14-2015, 10:52 AM
Friday I got out a little early from work so I could try and hit the permission. This was back at the place where three walkers, a medal spill, a balboa, and a few other things like a three ringer and an 1818 LC came up. Again I made sure it was ok. I pointed out to the son that the dog was digging up a hole right next to the foundation. At least it wasn't at me, but I heard the "really?" with the shaking of the head.

Right around the front corner of the house I was seeing a buried cable. I don't think it was the dog fence and sure wasn't electric. idk if it was the cable wire. Nearby, tho, I pulled up a tiny piece of the 'x' crossing of a fence, and below it was a merc. It at least had the 'S' Mint mark. One other iten I thought looked like jewelry but I thought it was mangled. Just turned out it was a little corroded. Vintage 1980's clip on earing. Guess It was one item I got where it was best to wash it to check before throwing it away.
Saturday It was really nice weather and of course I was over dressed and sweating. I was questioning the situation. Google streetview was copyright 2014 (or that's what it showed). There were a few cars parked at the old house in the street view. The assessor had it listed as being state owned since 2002. I was actually looking for two cellars up the old road. Once I got there, I realized. The whole road was gated, so it was an even longer hike. The house is now abandoned. Not sure if it is worth a look. The two cellars, tho, are not so good. I walked all the way in and passed the end of the stone walls looking for the last cellar. About 100 ft before the end of the walls was a massive tree and a few other older trees. So I stopped and tried to extrapolate from my GPS to a correlation on the old map. I backtracked, but went inside the stone walls. After swinging that 100 ft and stopping once to dig an iffy target near the stone wall, which I was less than surprised when it was a bent piece of barbed wire, I eventually came to an open well. No cellar in sight. The 1934 map even had a big structure (prob a barn) across the road. There was no remnants of anything. Maybe a slight depression a few feet from the well. Right by the well, tho I pulled up a tiny button with the shank still on it. I kept swinging and swinging. Doing an orbit to the far walls. I changed the sensitivity 1 detent lower...which actually made the iron seem more visible to hear the active areas. (To remind, people, I hear a low beep or a click with the iron but no VDI. It is effectively discriminated but you can still hear it to tell there is iron). The only things that made any good signal were the two garden hoe tips.

So it was back to the closer cellar. There was way more activity there. Non stop iron by two far barns which had their own well. Right near the corner property stone I got a 94 VDI. It would not move. So I knew it wasn't falsing iron. Turns out it was a massive piece of brass. Something like the size of a wood stove top, but looks like it could be a shape of a serving tray. I didn't put much effort besides moving a lot of tree limbs by the far barns, and then a check of the cellar itself. Defeated I went back to the abandoned house with checking along the way. Just more and more junk. The most that came up from a 12 min check at the house was a memorial and a zincoln. It might still warrant another check, because some targets still were there. No recent dig holes anywhere. My guess is the house/yard wasn't checked after it was abandoned. It has a big field across the old 'road'.

This was the 94 VDI. My boot is at the left of the picture to show how big it was.
I drove to a permission I had where I got my ox bell and two ox knobs. Turns out the front yard was hiding another nickel. Last time it was a dated buff. This time by the maple tree was a 1909 V nickel. It is black, but there is a change it might clean up. There is a fair amount of detail left on the front. Around the side yard I pulled up a wheat. I'm thinking to myself, where are all the old coins? Even the crotal was semi-newer having an iron tip. The house is 1840s. Sure enough, just a few feet from where I got the crotal a few weeks back, out comes my oldest silver. It may be a little rough, but the date sure is prominent and it's not as worn as some of these are. 1875 seated quarter. Finally, I got a silver before 1900. Yay! I also got a piece of a Conestoga bell. The tiny crotal is for size reference. I also got a 1936 dog tag. Second dog tag I have dug.

Isaac
12-14-2015, 12:58 PM
Awesome seated quarter!~

aloldstuff
12-14-2015, 05:43 PM
Congrats on the seated quarter. Also on your 2nd dog tag. That is a coin that still eludes me.....:dontknow:

Digger Don
12-14-2015, 07:26 PM
Congrats on the Seated Quarter. Excellent find.
Still on my bucket list.

Digger_O'Dell
12-14-2015, 07:56 PM
Congrats on the great coins, especially that seated-I am yet to find any silver quarter or nickle that isn't a Jefferson. :congrats:

groundhog53946
12-14-2015, 11:38 PM
Sweet finds! Still looking to find my first silver older than 1940. Congrats

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Bucknut
12-15-2015, 07:12 AM
Awesome digs! Seated coins are such a thrill to dig and yours is a quarter! Congrats!

MangoAve
12-15-2015, 08:20 AM
Awesome seated quarter!~

Thanks, Isaac. Happy to get one finally.

Congrats on the seated quarter. Also on your 2nd dog tag. That is a coin that still eludes me.....

Thanks, Al. Seems a few haven't scored one yet. Like the Nova. So I guess I can be thankful seeing as there are things others seem to find more often that I can't seem to find.....yet

Congrats on the Seated Quarter. Excellent find.
Still on my bucket list.

Thanks Don. Your area should have some, but I think I understand it's hard from watching Tony's vids...which he is finally posting again. Look how long it took me in my area, and I only got the most abundant one.

Congrats on the great coins, especially that seated-I am yet to find any silver quarter or nickle that isn't a Jefferson.

Thanks DOD. Odd when you can find an LC but no buffs or V or seated... I'm sure they will come. Just once you get one, they somehow magically come easier to find.

Sweet finds! Still looking to find my first silver older than 1940. Congrats
Thanks groundhog. I think my oldest quarter used to be 1941. I somehow completely skipped over the SLQ and barber. A real, trime and SLQ are the coins I have high desire to say I could find. I hope none of them are my unicorn....

Awesome digs! Seated coins are such a thrill to dig and yours is a quarter! Congrats!

Thanks, Buck. It was nice to dig up. And I agree I see mostly dimes or half dimes being posted about. More rarely halves.

del
12-15-2015, 04:40 PM
Hey congrats on your oldest silver Jim :cheering::cheering:, great year you had my friend !! sweet seated quarter :smitten:

MIKE54
12-15-2015, 05:43 PM
Nice seated quarter kiddo!

Cheap Thrills
12-15-2015, 10:55 PM
Congrats on your Seated Quarter ! That's one I don't ever expect to find .

Digger_O'Dell
12-16-2015, 12:14 AM

Don't sell yourself short-I never EVER expected to find a LC here in Wisconsin, much less an early braided hair variety-but I was wrong! You never know what's in the ground until you dig it up. Now I have hope of finding more coins I thought out of reach such as a flying eagle cent, trime, 20 cent piece, or who knows-the possibilities are nearly endless, and there is often no logical way to explain where things end up being found. So all I can say is keep pounding the ground and eventually the detecting gods will smile upon your coil!

MangoAve
12-16-2015, 10:45 AM
Hey congrats on your oldest silver Jim , great year you had my friend !! sweet seated quarter

Thanks, Dan. Some of the luck I do attribute to the new machine. But not all the finds this year were the new machine. The medal spill was the Time Ranger..... But my oldest silver and my oldest coin were the Tpro. Should I attribute my oldest coin to Drew cuz it was his spot, or Timmy being here in CT, or me asking to join? :cheesysmile:

Thanks CT. You might just be able to find one. It took me some time, but your area should be old enough to have a few. Even if its an 1891.

Don't sell yourself short-I never EVER expected to find a LC here in Wisconsin, much less an early braided hair variety-but I was wrong! You never know what's in the ground until you dig it up.

That's a good outlook. I still don't think I'd stay at the trouble spots longer just trying to squeak stuff out when I have so many nearby spots as backups, however...

wisconsin digger
12-16-2015, 08:53 PM
Another Seated quarter reported. That is indeed a great find. Nice job on all the finds. WD