PDA

View Full Version : 2 sites, coins and some what-is-its

Digger_O'Dell
12-15-2015, 08:23 PM
Back out a couple times for short hunts. Sunday I went to visit a friend in hospice, so naturally it wasn't the most pleasant of days to begin with. But since I was in a town an hour plus drive away and had 2 hours to kill. Even though it was raining I decided to stop at a local park and swing the detector a bit, which helped in getting my mind off the depressing day I had been having to that point.

The place I found was an old Indian burial grounds with Indian mounds. According to the sign posted at the site stated that in 1929 the mounds had been excavated by archaeologists from the Milwaukee museum. Apparently they must have destroyed the mounds in the process as it stated that they were restored in the 80's and the site preserved as a park. I had figured that since it was still heavily wooded with mostly old growth trees, and the mounds themselves would have attracted a lot of traffic in the past-plus the hope maybe the crews destroying the mounds may have dropped items.

As it turned out I only found a couple old shotgun shell cases in the woods dating back to the 1920's era, a copper piece that looks something like a boomerang, another unidentified piece with a threaded point, and another unidentifiable item that looks a bit like a cuff link or brass game piece. Over next to one of the mounds I did manage to find a few clads and 2 wheaties-a 1958D and 1916. I also did find a fired .22 slug buried in a downed tree branch. Apparently it missed the target!

Tuesday morning after work I stopped back at the old church again and found very little. With all the rain lately the low area where I found the only wheaties and the LC were flooded, so I moved over a bit to some higher ground. I have been hunting much more aggressively now at this site and am running near maximum sensitivity and moving much slower. Other than more zinc pennies I did manage to pull a silver Rosie from between a bunch of nails.

aloldstuff
12-15-2015, 08:57 PM
Pulling a rosie from between some nails is great hunting. :congrats:

Digger_O'Dell
12-15-2015, 10:23 PM
Thanks Al! For such an old site, I have been very surprised that in total I only pulled out a keeper coin total of a few wheaties, 1 Indian, 2 rosies, and that surprise LC that predates the church by 60 years. Sure, had tons of zincolns, an old earring, a few relics and some old tie clips-but not much considering the age and size of the site.

Cheap Thrills
12-15-2015, 10:58 PM
Nice hunting , it's good to see you're still able to get some hunting in and making finds .

Digger_O'Dell
12-16-2015, 12:06 AM
Thanks CT! I plan on hunting no matter the season or weather especially now I have waterproof equipment and am getting cold water gear for x-mas. :frozen: Just have to get some rain gear eventually since I'm not quite as waterproof as my gear. :grin: My girl thinks (convinced actually) that i'm insane :crazy:, but I still have fun!

MangoAve
12-16-2015, 10:28 AM
Nice that you got a rosie. Quite possibly the boomerang thing is a toe plate. If there are evenly spaced dimples on one edge and it'd be fairly thin, then it is a toe plate. Other than that... :dontknow:

The 'pawn' like piece I would think it could be the back piece to the rivets used on jeans. Or cuff link by size. But due to the fact the bottom is flat, not conical.

The threaded piece makes me think of the top of a strut. But it is small. Maybe the bottom of a desk or chair leg where the threaded part was to level the feet...

groundhog53946
12-16-2015, 02:41 PM
Nice save Chris! That place keeps giving but not easily

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Digger_O'Dell
12-16-2015, 07:55 PM
Sorry, not a toe plate. Broken off on both ends, and way to thick I would think. Ar for the threaded piece, guess I should have said it's hollow on the bottom, sort of looks like a tube from a fuse maybe? The thread throws me though.

EDIT: Doing a bit more research it actually looks like it could be part of a civil war era toe plate, although more heavy duty than most. It looks like 2 dimples at the toe end where nail holes used to be but had worn back to the point of nothing holding the front of the plate. This would explain how the back would have easily broken off.
One other possibility though more unlikely is a toe tap from tap shoes, but very unlikely they would ever got this worn, nor were they made from brass or have this type of nail pattern.

Nice save Chris! That place keeps giving but not easily

That's for sure-have to work it REALLY hard to pull anything from this area. I had almost given up a few times initially an being nothing there. Luckily I'm stubborn! :lol:

Bad thing it you never know-today the field was semi-flooded and I only was able to pull 5 zincolns out of the muck and a rusty metal plate from about a foot down.

wisconsin digger
12-16-2015, 08:51 PM
Great finds and congrats on the silver. Sorry to hear about your friend. WD

Digger_O'Dell
12-16-2015, 09:07 PM
Thanks WD-Not to worry, I've already outlived almost all my friends. Sad to say but getting used to it.