PDA

View Full Version : finally managed to get out

randy
07-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Haven't been able to get out much lately, but finally got some swing time. Took the E-Trac to a park that had given the V3 some trouble -- don't know if it was EMI, the extremely mineralized ground, or D2 issues, but the V3 never does well here for some reason.

E-Trac only gave me sens of 13-17 in auto, where i usually get closer to 20, but I cranked it to 26 anyway, and it seemed fine. Pulled a silver and a few wheats, none deeper than 5 inches + 2 inches for the grass. One was in a hole with a 6 inch piece of rusty wire and a rusty nail. Amazing. Only 2 inches deep. Of course, just the rusty nail could have given me the dig me signal, as it often does. V3 has given me one wheatie at this site, but much deeper; ~8-9 inches. This was no way a scientific test and should not be taken that way. I'm just taking notes for myself.

The interesting thing was that the silver was only 5 inches down, and barely audible. E-Trac was showing max depth, and the only way to get a clean signal was to go to quickmask, which gave me a consistent 35-50. I wonder if that's the E-Trac's way of saying I dunno, like +95 on the DFX? Very weird. But I still knew it was a silver somehow. Maybe the extreme mineralization or a large iron object I noted nearby confused it somehow. Both the V3 and E-Trac usually lock on pretty good on 5 inch deep silvers, so who knows? :crazy: I wonder if the mineralization is keeping the deeper targets hidden here?

coinnut
07-28-2010, 07:42 PM
Hey Randy, nice bunch of coins and silver. I bet the soil was one factor, since the E Trac showed a low sensitivity reading. Combine that with the ever present EMI and other factors and your depth is reduced. As for the 35-50 reading?? Very interesting, could very well be that it is like a +95 reading on a White's. I don't usually get any 50 CO hits except sporadic falsing and it is not a constant signal. Maybe we should dig all 35-50 readings that repeat well. :confused: Each one of those machines will need to be fine tuned to that particular trouble area and I bet each machine is going to find deep targets the other missed. That is a good example of why we need different machines (technologies) at certain sites. Keep us posted if you get any more info on any 35-50 signals. thanks for the info! thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-28-2010, 07:57 PM
nice hunt randy!

angellionel
07-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Boosting the sensitivity higher than what the site calls for tends to generate inconsistent Fe numbers, though I have found they will stabilize when repeatedly going over the target with very short sweeps. There is one town common I have hit that will make the E-Trac null on every sweep while using a discrimination pattern. It still picks up the goods though. In all metal mode it is raucous.

You still did manage to pick up some good targets at that site. thumbsup01 Thanks for the report, Randy!