PDA

View Full Version : Church still producing silver!

Digger_O'Dell
12-18-2015, 07:32 PM
Hi all!
This morning I went back to the area of the church Ii had covered very heavily before and found many tie clips, a Rosie and other items. I had thought it was pretty much cleaned out, but decided to start going through with the 17" coil now for better depth as I think there must be a lot of fill in this side yard area. It wasn't long until I got a deep signal that was sort of weak but consistent. About a foot down I got another one of those strange "door" pieces like I had found several of before, only this one was on edge and I guess I only picked up the top edge that was slightly bent over.

It wasn't until a while later that I got another deeper 12-42 signal showing about 10" to 11" depth. I don't know why, but the CTX has been showing targets consistently about 2" deeper than they actually are, and it was no different in this case. About 9" down I pulled up a very nice 1946 Rosie! At this point I had hoped for a possible spill so searched in a widening spiral pattern around the dime hole and only about 6 feet out I get another deep dime signal, although it didn't show a target on the screen, so it must have been quite weak. As it was repeatable, I dug it and from about 10" down and mostly on edge I was quite surprised to see a worn 1927 Merc!

Lastly, on the way home I had what I can only classify as a "surface find". At the diner where I stopped for breakfast I happened to notice a wheatie in the "take a penny" tray which I exchanged for a zincoln. Turned out to be a nice 1914! Too bad it was missing the D mint mark!

Digger_O'Dell
12-19-2015, 12:01 AM
Just as a summary, to date this site has produced 3 Rosies, 1 Merc, my first IH, first war nickle, and my first LC. Not to mention a few wheaties, a couple interesting relics, several old tie clips and costume jewelry, plus countless memorials. So although the keeper coins have been very sparse, this site has produced the widest range of dates (1841 to present) and knocked 3 off the 'ol bucket list!

Bucknut
12-19-2015, 07:44 AM
Very nice! That is a great site!

relichunterryan
12-19-2015, 08:22 AM
These sites are the ones I dream of! Good finds!

Digger_O'Dell
12-19-2015, 08:35 AM
As on Saturday morning, I just pulled out another Merc-1945S. Don't know if it's a micro s yet so have to wait to get it cleaned. Pics tonight!
Don't know how long hunting will last there because last night got down to 16 degrees and the ground is frozen down about 2 inches. Kind of tough digging now.

Digger_O'Dell
12-19-2015, 07:12 PM
Pics of Saturday's dime-not a micro S as hoped.

groundhog53946
12-20-2015, 02:49 AM
Knew that you would find more there! Keep it up!

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

MangoAve
12-21-2015, 08:46 AM
Nice that the spot is still producing.
Is the depth off only with the larger coil? It could be a multitude of things as well. Most machines are 'tuned' to a US quarter. So things larger than a quarter will be deeper than they read and a dime will be shallower than is read. The other thing, is the size of the coil affects depth reading slightly as well. I know putting on the DD to my TRanger shifted even the VDI on the low range. Nickels jumped up to a higher range, but somehow the higher end with dimes/quarters/halves didn't change.

wisconsin digger
12-21-2015, 02:21 PM
That's always been my point. Slowing down gets deeper coins masked coins, etc. once you figure out a place there is always more to be found. Great finds and good weather to keep at it. WD

Lodge Scent
12-21-2015, 07:58 PM
Nice! The "Church of the Perpetual Silver". Now that's a church you might want to consider joining.

Digger_O'Dell
12-21-2015, 09:09 PM
Thanks all! But I am thinking it is a pretty much dried up site now. Barely even getting null signals now in most areas from the discrimination. I did pull up a couple memorials from 9 plus inches Monday morning. so I can only assume it has been deeply filled sometime in the past. Anything else here will be well out of range of anything but the deepest PI machine.

As for the offset of the depth readings, I don't know what the deal is. It varies day to day it seems. One day it's right on, the next it's off by a couple inches for the same type coins. And no, it doesn't matter which coil I use. If one is off by 2 inches that day, they are all off the same.