PDA

View Full Version : Okay got my tumbler. Now what?

Mr. Digger
12-19-2015, 08:08 AM
I must have been a good boy because Santa brought me the 3 lb rock tumbler form Harbor Freight I had asked for...and he delivered it early! Now what? Besides the obvious clad, what should I try tumbling? Wondering about:

-Smoothie LC's and coppers?
-Colonial and other early buckles?
-Flat or dandy buttons?
-Old brass locks?
-Skeleton keys?
-Crotal bells?

Are items like these a no no in the tumbler or should I give it a try?

OxShoeDrew
12-19-2015, 09:10 AM
You must have been good this year! If I had one I'd throw smooth coppers and shankless buttons in. I wouldn't put crotals in as I'd be frightened they'd break. I like to hit crotals with a brass brush. I've never used a tumbler and have no experience. So take my comments with the lack of respect they deserve :)
Congrats on the early gift!

del
12-19-2015, 09:13 AM
I think its more of a personal preference , some like the patina on their relics and some like them to look "newer" , their your finds Mr.Digger so i don't think there is a right or wrong answer , experiment and see what you like ?? Oh , and please show us whats your results please .

Dan

Digger_O'Dell
12-19-2015, 07:24 PM
I have only ever used two types of tumblers-one for cleaning brass for reloading, and a rock tumbler for polishing stones. Neither one could I see being used on anything fragile as it is a somewhat violent and abrasive process. Many stones were pulverized in my learning process with them, so I can only imagine what would happen to softer items. I have heard of people using the tumblers for poor condition clad coins for cashing into the bank with good results. But I wouldn't start with anything that you would feel bad about getting thrashed if it doesn't go as planned.