PDA

View Full Version : Mixed hunt Saturday in the wind, and a short hunt back at a permission house.

MangoAve
12-21-2015, 10:25 AM
Saturday I drove down to an area hoping for a permission. Without getting into too much detail, the parcel ownership was a different address and the 'manager' for the prop wasn't in the office and I was waiting and waiting after leaving a voicemail. I decided to hit a nearby old school where I got a nice medal before. This time I tried a bit of hunting in the woods by the stone walls as the brush has died down. Black raspberry bushes lined the edge of the woods. People were taking their dogs back in the woods to hike the first time I was there. This time I didn't find much in the woods beyond an axe head and a few shotgun shells. They must be old if there is a nearby school, which itself was built around the 30's. By the baseball field I picked up a junker ring. It's small with dinosaurs. Still waiting, I just decided to head up the road 7 min to a site with a mill and filled cellar. It is across rom a late 1700/early 1800 house. Too bad the area was turned into a park because it was a little hard to distinguish which were stone retaining walls built recently and which were from the 1800s. In the open area it was just a bed of iron. And the majority of non ferrous sginals...which you'd want to dig, turned out to be things like canslaw. I did, however, manage to pull a nice horse tack/blinker. I only touched the area lightly and decided to head up to a cellar that was supposed to be in the middle of the woods. Apparently they don't always draw a driveway to a house on the old maps. A saw mill was also supposed to be there somewhere by the river. I did follow the stone walls, but that's pretty much all I did. I could not locate the house spot. I did see two large piles of stones in the area that would most likely be the yard, but there was no iron around either of them. It was difficult to understand the whole land layout because walls would end, and then pick up again 200 ft away, and shifted. The only take was my first tombac. I thought it was too large, so I figured it was a flat button. When the crust had a chance to dry and it got "pocket-cleaned" per Drew's phrase, I saw it was shiny.
Sunday wasn't the best of days but I did manage to leave things and do some de-stress detecting. I went back to a permission house where I got the bird button. This time I worked the side yard a little harder. The front yard of the house right off the steps is all iron. I chased a phantom signal but in the hole I did find some clam shells. This was literally right by the front steps. Out on the side I have a feeling it was filled before, but the only time I would think would be when the addition was added in 1920.....so there should be still some old coinage. The back corner of the side I got a plated spoon. 'Twas a Rogers 12 oz spoon. Pictures were def necessary as to show how much silver plating still exists on this. Never have I seen one this pretty coming out of the ground. And now I just checked eBay to see these were around 1865... First item under Rogers 12 oz. I thought they were closer to 1900s as the other Rogers spoon I pulled up, grapes, was 1881. Also by the clothes line I found one of those good luck tokens from the 70's fairs. It has an address on it. Intriguing.
In another spot I think I was hearing the old glass fuse which I pulled up, but in the hole was a few nails and the biggest harmonica reed I have ever seen. wth??? Once it started getting closer to sunset I made my way back to the front of the house. Around the front corner I finally found a nice coin. There was a 1901 IH in pretty good shape. I thought the back was toast until I cleaned it. One of the last items I dug was this Chinese token. I cant find exactly what it is. It looked better when wet and I think it looks even better after coating with renwax. Sometimes details just pop more once the renwax is on. Idk the Chinese alphabet and how they are pronounced/spelled are different. Google did have a pic of the book under Chinese tokens and a few of them are similar. I have yet to check under a scope to check any lettering around the edge on the picture side to help determine what it is. The picture side looks like a dragon and the other stuff idk. The alpha-numeric side has a few symbols. I got to try out the new macro attachment on the IH and the token. If anyone can help ID the token, it'd be appreciated. No saying you'd get the same pic as I did for a hit, but there were 6 or 8 items on a scan of a book and it looked close to the items having whatever denomination of 30.
Oh, and my first clock winder came up from here too. It was in the front yard maybe 15 ft from front door. I did try to work the area, but iron galore.
Oh, and I made a custom piece from my spare copper plating so I could attach a lanyard on the pinpointer. I broke my 1/4" drill bit where it meets the hex drive while drilling out an exhaust bolt on the old snow blower I was given where the muffler needed to be replaced. And of course the bolt had to break. The piece I made for the lanyard might be better from the sheet of aluminum that I also have on hand. It'd prob be stiffer. The one for made for the garrett, which might work with the vibraprobe, would need to go under the large washer. Since Idk if that placement would effect the waterproofing, I designed my piece to between the washer and thumb nut. The 35Lb neodymium magnet at HD works perfect for a hand trowel that didn't come with a sheath, but is horrible for a mini Sampson. My readyshovel broke and I am getting alternatives. Something else was already ordered before I bought the magnet and Is on the way. I think it will be the best substitute. If the rubber lasts, esp on some cold hunts before the ground freezes, than it will be what I'll stick with.

wisconsin digger
12-21-2015, 02:18 PM
Great ingenuity and nice finds as well. WD

MangoAve
12-21-2015, 02:43 PM
Thanks WD. I have both an engineering and an Aquarius mind.... the most stubborn there is. Lol.

A pic of what I did find online. Too bad the picture doesn't show on the web page so It is hard to correlate the list on the webpage as you can see the book has many pages. This is just one page that may or may not have my token on it.

MIKE54
12-21-2015, 07:14 PM
Another good day of hunting, Jim. Just found a decent (96 acre) park that's 100 years old used for picnics back to 1910's. Stopped by for an hour and found a 1950 nickel and wheatie so it has promise. If you're off the week after Christmas I'll show you where it is,weather permitting.

Digger_O'Dell
12-21-2015, 08:57 PM
Lots of interesting finds-that IH and Chinese token look great! Well done and congrats! :congrats:

I recently found a junker ring just like that except it was butterflies, not dinosaurs. Go figure.

MangoAve
12-22-2015, 07:31 AM
Another good day of hunting, Jim. Just found a decent (96 acre) park that's 100 years old used for picnics back to 1910's. Stopped by for an hour and found a 1950 nickel and wheatie so it has promise. If you're off the week after Christmas I'll show you where it is,weather permitting.

Yup.... I'm off but thinking to do some OT. The only time of year I make OT any bit of priority. Lol. I don't try to live beyond my means where I need the OT and with the fact that more than 2/3 of your day is used between sleeping and work... I don't try to take away from the time where I DON'T have to be at work. HMU and we can get out.

Lots of interesting finds-that IH and Chinese token look great! Well done and congrats!
I recently found a junker ring just like that except it was butterflies, not dinosaurs. Go figure.

Thanks DOD. Even tho the dragon on the Chinese coin looks slightly different, it looks like there was only on small section I could find of printing (illegible now) on that side. So it might be a China Empire Hu Poo 20 cash coin from 1903-1905. Around the same time frame as the IH that was within 5 ft from it. Maybe the dino ring was the boys and your butterfly was the girls ring? That thing would prob be a toe ring for me. I can't even slip it over my pinky.

del
12-22-2015, 10:22 PM
some good solid finds Jim , the lanyard on the pinpointer is a good idea.

Digger Don
12-22-2015, 11:20 PM
Nice variety of finds. That Chinese token looks cool.
Congrats on another great hunt.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

MangoAve
12-23-2015, 07:29 AM
some good solid finds Jim , the lanyard on the pinpointer is a good idea.

Thanks, Dan. That tombac read even below a nickel. If you remember the last hunt how everyone else was getting buttons. Well, the low VDI still wasn't the case....that's not what I was getting at. The last war nickel I got was like a 19 VDI... just portraying that I have the ability to find them...if I ever get my coil over them.

Who knows... maybe I can make sure Dan gets the piece to complete the lanyard.

Nice variety of finds. That Chinese token looks cool.
Congrats on another great hunt.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Thanks Don. Just surprising to find a Chinese cash token. Well, still the same town I found the Balboa. I do not think my town is the melting pot of CT. :dontknow:

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to you and your Fam, too.

aloldstuff
12-28-2015, 06:58 PM
Great finds. Really like to custom job on the pinpointer. I love keys and that clock key is cool.

MangoAve
12-29-2015, 12:40 PM
Great finds. Really like to custom job on the pinpointer. I love keys and that clock key is cool.

Thanks, Al. First of any clock or watch key for me. They always look cool too. Like a skeleton key but just a little more cool.