PDA

View Full Version : Another Set of Short Hunts

OxShoeDrew
12-21-2015, 02:16 PM
As the year winds down I've been able to get in some short/close hunts. The seated half looks like it was holed and repaired(?). I've never found a British half penny before. The shoe buckle is ever so close to being complete. The CT copper is right facing. Thanks, and have a great end of the year!

Tony Two-Cent
12-21-2015, 02:28 PM
Man oh man! You never cease to amaze, Drew! Seated Half Dollars don't turn up very often! And you got a nice shoe buckle, a CT Copper and a crotal bell as well! I would take short hunts like that any day!

:perfect10:

MangoAve
12-21-2015, 02:39 PM
Nice Drew. Right facing.... 1785? Maybe you could take a closer pic of the back of the seated near the 50c. That way we can see what might have happened to it.... That floral/pinwheel button is intriguing. I wonder what the deal with that is.

The Rebel
12-21-2015, 02:50 PM
WOW! Love that Seated!

Lodge Scent
12-21-2015, 07:54 PM
No need for a long hunt Drew if you can keep getting those great finds with short hunts ! A seated half is just a crazy find !

I've never found a British half penny before.

Really? What are all those KG's I,II, and III's, William III's etc. that you always dig ? :lol:

Digger_O'Dell
12-21-2015, 09:16 PM
Awesome finds! As for the seated "repair", it could be one of 2 things-either a mint error likely from a defective planchet or debris between the die and planchet when struck such as a die chip. I have read somewhere that in the past with silver coins the mint would repair individual damaged coins. Those like that are rare and often worth quite a lot more than the coin would have been.

Edit: what is the mint mark on the half? If it's an "O" coin, it may be a unique sample. Apparently one variety of the coin is a cracked die version where it is cracked right where the section has been damaged. Is it possible that the die failed on that particular coin?

http://www.usacoinbook.com/coins/2636/half-dollars/seated-liberty/1861-O/csa-cracked-obverse/

CTTodd
12-21-2015, 11:25 PM
That's a fine pile of finds. Very nice

aloldstuff
12-22-2015, 05:49 AM
Forget those day long hunts especially when your short hunts produce like this. Amazing group of finds. After reading some responses here I hope that the seated 1/2 is one that had been repaired by the mint. :thumbsup02: Don't often see a right facing CT copper and an almost complete buckle.... :notworthy:. Add in the crotal bell....:perfect10:

10X
12-22-2015, 07:43 AM
Those are some great finds Drew. Congrats! :thumbsup02:

BKM
01-11-2016, 11:33 AM
Wow, awesome Seated Half Drew!

Man, I'm still waiting for any half, haven't even found a clad one!

del
01-11-2016, 05:50 PM
hey slow down I have a hard enough time keeping up with your short hunts Mister!!:lol: what a great assortment of "goodies" Drew . congrats !!

GA1dad
01-11-2016, 10:11 PM
Wow!! I missed this one. Great group of finds Drew!!!