PDA

View Full Version : Second silver.

zrickkid
07-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Went to a place in Chicago where the sidewalk was torn up and found my second silver coin. Its a 1954 Roosevelt dime. It was only a couple inches down in the soft excavated dirt. Interestingly the dime was very rough for a piece of silver. It had lots of pitting and corrosion on it but I'll take it. I need more sites like this as im still having trouble finding the deeper coins over 6 in depth. Im probably reading them but not understanding what im hearing so I wont dig them. I dont have a pinpointer yet so when I do dig I lose the signal when the hole is a deep one. Any more recommendations on pinpointers would be helpful. Plus im digging at my local high school where they are re-doing the stairway and i've found 3 wheat pennies this week so im confident there must be some silver in them hills. Sorry but my camera was broken by my daughters recently so i wont be posting any pics for the time being. Thanks!

del
07-29-2010, 02:56 AM
hey congrats on your second silver coin ,hang in there it will get easier with experience , as for pinpointers i highly recommend the vibraprobe 580.

Dan

coinnut
07-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Losing a signal can be frustrating. I usually recommend that if you are sure it was a good signal to start with, and not some falsing due to over cranking your sensitivity, then I would do these things: After digging and losing the signal, come at the hole from many different directions, very slowly. Sometimes the angle you approach it from can catch the object better, and give a responce. But just by switching to the pinpoint mode, you will find it because you are now in all metal. Just make sure you don't switch to the pinpoint mode over the hole. You will tune it out that way. A common mistake when pinpointing. Pinpoint slightly away from the target and then sweep over it. If all else fails dig a bit deeper and widen the hole (inside the hole) a bit. If it is a smaller target it should be out. Other than that, I would have to see it in action to try and figure out what is going on. Congrats on the silver and for some reason silver can be corroded under sidewalks sometimes :confused: Maybe it's due to the leaching of the cement or the base they put down before the sidewalk is poured. Keep at it, cause where there are wheats, there are silvers, just not nearly enough lol

moseng
07-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Congrats on the roosie! You want to know something? It always feels good each and every time you look into the hole and see the shine of silver!! :) So, something to look forward to on your next one, and the next, and the next..... Anyway, I know I do!!

tanacat
07-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Congrats on your Rosie! :happydance01: Doesn't it feel good to pull up that silver after being there so long :)

zrickkid
07-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Yes it does but greedy me was hoping for more,, such is life.

tanacat
07-30-2010, 03:51 PM
I've used a Bullseye pinpointer, XL-1 probe and Garret's propointer... the latter is my favorite so far. I like the light and that it beeps and vibrates simultaneously. It has a nifty belt case you whip it out like a gun lol the bullseye was more awkward to carry, although I'm sure I could have rigged up someplace on my belt. The XL-1 probe is nice that it hooks right onto the detector. That one is on my XLT, I got a new V3i and will have to buy a new probe if I go that route I think we're talking $200 :-\ not too sure if I wasnt to splurge on anything else right now :cheesysmile:

Good luck finding one that suits you! It seems the probe is best for achieving more depth, since you can adjust it on your controls. What kind of MD do you use btw?

Ill Digger
07-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Congrats on the Rosie ! :grin:
Love findin' that silver! thumbsup01