PDA

View Full Version : My best 17 cents in a while!!

xzlr8n
07-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Yesterday, I ran into a person I've known since I was probably 5-6 years old and who is also a long time friend of my father's. His name is Joe, if you are wondering. It is amazing to me how time flys and people can come and go in your life. It seems like only yesterday I was tagging along with my father and brother down to the local fire department where my brother and I would wonder around the old fire house while my Dad and his friends (one being Joe) tended to work that had to be done. Anyway, during our brief encounter I popped the question if I could do some metal detecting at his house and was greeted with a warm welcome of anytime. He jokingly said he would like to have any Confederate money found and I said sure I'm only interested in US money :grin:. To be honest I have been eyeballing his yard since I started detecing last year, but hadn't had the opprtunity to call or knock on his door. From what I can tell the house was built around 1910 with a backyard that bordered an old long gone railway. The house has been in Joe's family for 3 generations with the fourth having been raised there and moved on to other parts of the country. With a couple of hours to burn after dinner last night I decided to head on down to his house. I knocked on the door but no one was home :dontknow:. Not knowing exactly where the property lines were I decided to stick near the house by the front porch. Turned on my trusty MXT (Spectra just went to Sweet Home Oregon for the update that morning) and started to detect, within two feet of my first swing I hit a solid penny signal and started digging, out pops a Wheatie thumbsup01. I'm thinking :thinkingabout: this is a very good sign, maybe virgin ground. Well lets just say I had a lot of fun digging lots of good targets and some interesting trash. Ended up with 9 Wheat's, 2 IH's, 1 V-nickle, 1 Barber dime, and a trade token. The token is going to be my new flip coin rofl. After detecing for about a hour and 1/2, Joe and his wife arrived home and were interested to see the finds. After a quick glance in the evening twilight I told them I'd send them a email link to this site to get a better look at some of the good stuff after being cleaned up. Before I put the detector away for the night Joe asked me if I could find some property pins and was happy to find three of them in quick order (helps when someone knows approx where they are and now I know exactly how big his yard is (HUGE) ). Had a quick chat about my Dad, my kids, his kids, and other interesting things before heading home. It was good to catch up with him and probably wouldn't have had the chance if it weren't for this hobby, just another reason I love this hobby. Enjoy the pics and I cannot wait to see what more this yard holds.

del
07-29-2010, 02:52 AM
great coins , the indians are real lookers with the color of the patina :loveit: and have nice detail. thumbsup01

randy
07-29-2010, 05:58 AM
Sweet thumbsup01 There's probably alot more goodies there.

angellionel
07-29-2010, 09:08 AM
Those are some good looking Indian Head cents, and the wheats aren't bad either. :loveit: Nice hunt. I definitely would want to go back to find more companions for that Barber dime. :cheesysmile: lol

coinnut
07-29-2010, 09:59 AM
Nice coins. A Barber sure looks good coming out of a hole lol Love seeing that silver. Some nice Indians and I think you have a '31 Wheat. I don't get many pennies from the early 30's for some reason....hmmm maybe the depression? Great hunt and I'd be back there to get that hiding 2 cent piece and Barber quarter lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-29-2010, 01:48 PM
that's one sweet yard,keep us posted on what else ya dig.congrats!

ProPointer
07-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Now that's cool :peace:

milco
07-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Nice hunt, good luck next time you get over there as well. I agree MDing is a great conversation starter and a reason to talk to anyoneand everyone, old acquaintance or not.

CBnKansas
07-30-2010, 12:52 AM
Wow that looks to be a sweet spot for sure. Neat that you got to meet an old friend of your dads and make a connection. Hope you find lots more great stuff!

cb

Ill Digger
07-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Now thats a sweet little hunt there !! thumbsup01
I just love those green IH's :smitten: Of course the Barber dime is a great find also!!
It would of been even a little better, if that V had a little S on the reverse :yes:
And thats just the first trip....
Congrats :grin:
Keep us posted on any return hunts :drool:

tanacat
07-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Very, very, very cool hunt :yes: :clapping: :happydance01: Love your subject title for your thread lol Good luck next time you go back too!

studeman
07-31-2010, 03:07 PM
Great hunt. I found one of those tokens a couple of weeks ago in Kansas. Now If I could just find an IH. I don't think my Tesoro likes them.

Ron T.

zrickkid
08-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Nice hunt, it would be a great to find just one of those coins on my hunts.