PDA

View Full Version : Christmas came early!

Digger_O'Dell
12-24-2015, 02:39 PM
Driving around today and I spotted a very old cemetary which has an access and perimeter road with open areas around and behind the maintenance building. Decided to stop in and detect around the building and along the edge of the fence and drive. Mostly trash and a few memorials. But at the edge of the road I got a 12-46 signal showing 2 inches deep. Thought it was a newer quarter, but when I dug to around 4 inches I saw a big round disc. Cleaned off the dirt enough to see I had just found my 2nd Largie! This time it's an 1852.
Basically all I found, but a great day! More pics Saturday when I get back to work and can clean it up.

wisconsin digger
12-24-2015, 03:03 PM
For your only find it was a GOOD one. 2 in one year and I have 1 in a lifetime. Great coin. WD

del
12-24-2015, 03:27 PM
:cheering:congrats on your second largie this year DOD , that one looks like it may clean up well :crossfingers:

BTV Digger
12-24-2015, 05:44 PM
Great find. The best finds are often unexpected aren't they? My best LC of the year was only 2 inches deep. Also thought it was a modern clad quarter until the big green disc popped up.

John

groundhog53946
12-24-2015, 08:23 PM
Way to go digger! Awesome

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Digger Don
12-24-2015, 10:36 PM
What a great surprise.

Congrats on an unexpected great find.

MangoAve
12-30-2015, 08:21 AM
Nice score getting your second LC. That's how I started. My first year was a CT copper (with the most common year of course.. but right next to iron in the old cart path) and then a toasted one I can't tell what it was (right near the opening in the stone walls but near some animal scat).

Saw the pics from the other thread. Most likely you are down at the bare metal. Only something like vinegar or lemon juice will take away the color issue (by removing the dark oxidized layer). Using something like peroxide will turn the coins brown or black the longer they are left in. Prob not much more you can do. Someone in my club used a low power electrolysis on a Nova he found. It looked pretty good afterward, but I'm going to guess it hurt the value. It was in pretty good condition too.

Digger_O'Dell
12-30-2015, 07:34 PM
Someone in my club used a low power electrolysis on a Nova he found. It looked pretty good afterward, but I'm going to guess it hurt the value.

I had tried that on a really crusty penny once-never do THAT again! Probably used too much power anyway as my power supply is 12V 50A. But then afterwards I read the article again about coin cleaning and it says in the fine print to NEVER do that to a copper coin! :shocked01: The peroxide is not something I see really great results from, but the lye soak shows the most promise and had done a fantastic job even being a very weak solution. I just brought in some lye based oven cleaner to give it a try and I expect I will be able to get rid of most if not all of the discoloration and maybe even the oxidation to lighten it up some. At least that's what the article claims it will do and the example seemed very impressive.

If there is any major improvement I will take more pics. :crossfingers:

aloldstuff
12-31-2015, 06:06 AM
WTG, good decision on detecting that place. Huge congrats to you on getting your 2nd LC. I'm off to look at part 2....

MangoAve
12-31-2015, 01:01 PM
Lol. That's 600 watts of power! More like a 5v or 6v at 1A charger. How it says not to use on copper, you just have to choose the correct metal for the rod you use. No stainless steel or zinc. I gotta give u a little credit cuz I never even looked into using lye as a coin cleaner. I just been an advocate of the hot peroxide cuz it's cheap and quick and easy. Plus results seemed better. I don't want to wait on olive oil. Lol