PDA

View Full Version : Doubling The Sensitivity Of The Garrett Pro-Pointer

CyberSage
07-29-2010, 07:30 AM
I thought I would start a new thread on this subject. Randy first brought this information to light in this thread...

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=1954.0

Here is the video he was referring to...

How to get more depth from your Garrett Pro Pointer.mp4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUlewb1xGN8#ws)

This video was originally posted by someone with the handle of TheNuggetshooter on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheNuggetshooter

This is verifiable and works well. I was astonished to see the range almost double. The Nickel (This actually can be any metal item) can not be taped in place. It must be adjusted like in the video each time. I am going to start work on a slide adjustment that can be mounted to the ProPointer. I have a DX-1 probe, but use the Pro-Pointer most of the time now. The DX-1 has a tendency to detune on my V3. I will try to have a prototype of the slide attachment by this weekend.

Jack

coinnut
07-29-2010, 10:08 AM
That's amazing. How is the nickel acting as an amplifier? You could make attachments and sell them and be a millionaire lol Well maybe a hundred thousandaire ;)

CyberSage
07-29-2010, 02:08 PM
I think it has something to do with the automatic tunning of the unit. Any engineers out there want to take a stab at explaining what is going on?

moseng
08-03-2010, 01:32 AM
Interesting! If I didn't know you Jack I would say this is some kind of gag. I wonder if it would work with other pinpointers as well?

CyberSage
08-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Hey Moseng!

Ya, thats what I thought the first time I saw the video. Tried it myself and it works great. For now I just carry a Nickel with me. If I pop a plug and can't find the target I get out the Nickel and this thing goes an easy 4 to 5 inches now. I am working on a slider attachment that mounts on the side of the probe that can be adjusted after the unit is turned on. This would be interesting to try with the DX-1. I might try that for kicks. My guess is that you would have to be in pinpoint(all-metal) mode to make it work.

Salty Dog
01-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Thats Fantastic,Now i see the light thumbsup01,thanks for showing that really cleared up some doubts i was having....

Nitro 54
01-01-2011, 09:37 PM
I would like to know how it works also :crazy:

ec121connie
01-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Hey Moseng!

Ya, thats what I thought the first time I saw the video. Tried it myself and it works great. For now I just carry a Nickel with me. If I pop a plug and can't find the target I get out the Nickel and this thing goes an easy 4 to 5 inches now. I am working on a slider attachment that mounts on the side of the probe that can be adjusted after the unit is turned on. This would be interesting to try with the DX-1. I might try that for kicks. My guess is that you would have to be in pinpoint(all-metal) mode to make it work.

Interestingly this same technique will work with the cheap hand held unit from Harbor Freight. I use a hose clamp to tune it. I'll add a link to the item but if this is not allowed I'll apologize in advance.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_3802.jpg
http://www.harborfreight.com/metal-detector-97245.html

Regards,

Another White's Refuge

angellionel
01-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Interestingly this same technique will work with the cheap hand held unit from Harbor Freight. I use a hose clamp to tune it. I'll add a link to the item but if this is not allowed I'll apologize in advance.

Hi Connie, the link to that item at Harbor Freight is fine. Links to metal detector dealers would not be though, unless approved by the moderators or admins. :yes:

M-Taliesin
01-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Howdy Folks!
I have one and any extra depth would be a terrific bonus.

I'm gonna check out that video!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

cnr_dogs
01-06-2011, 10:09 PM
cool might have to get a GARRETT doesnt work on my BEII pinpointer :bangahead01:

rsarge1
01-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Jack have you tried this with the dx-1 also I think it would be great if it worked with it also

applevalleyjoe
01-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Is this REALLY for real? :thinkingabout:

capt.
01-17-2011, 10:51 PM
What an interesting phenomena! Wonder how they figured that out? :thinkingabout:

MartinL
01-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Oh it does work. I learned this trick several months ago right after getting my Pro Pointer. I tend to continue to study my gadgets even after it arrives, and utube has several videos about this. They say any coin can be used but so far the nickel seems most best. It makes sense that the nickel is better because of the fact that the air test on the Pro Pointer performs it's advertised 2 capability nicely there. I read recently that one user used a piece of cut bicycle tube, which also works to cover the speaker as we all know it is rather loud. The coin under the runner sleeve can be nudged forward just enough to create the phantom tune, and then elasticity retracts the coin and holds it. The tweak of coin position is rather delicate. I've not tried the inner tube idea yet.

I've not even used the trick at all in a while, but when I did, I mostly used it for when I was about to give up on digging(summer heat.) That extra depth will keep you excited when you absolutely know there's a target right in THAT direction. It is a cool trick, and I I imagine that there's a electronic component, most likely a inductor, that is influenced by the nickel due to it's close proximity to with the magnetic field of the coil or whatever component is creating the magnetic field. There's gotta be a balancing circuit that the nickel eventually boosts. We used to call the sure answer right off the cuff when asked, as FM. You can figure that definition out rather easily ;-) martin

Goat Rancher
01-20-2011, 04:05 PM
I ask a couple questions about the Garrett about 4 months ago on another forum. If I am looking for depth though I usually just pull out the Pistol Probe. I haven't seen a pin pointer beat it yet.

Here is the question I ask and the response :

Garrett Pro Pinpointer Question.
Posted by: Goat Rancher [ Send a Message ]
Date: September 19, 2010 07:30PM Registered: 1 year ago

I guess I have more than one question. I recently had a demonstration of holding a coin on the body of the pro and increasing the detection range. Just curious if anyone has explained why that works and why not put a sliding switch like on some of the older flashlights attached to the body of the pro and you could just slide the plastic switch which would move the metal part of the switch forward to the correct position to increase depth. I think those flashlight switches are plastic with a brass sliding portion. Am I out in left field on this? Looks like Garrett would incorporate this added depth trick to their pinpointers some way or have they?

Reply Quote ReportRe: Garrett Pro Pinpointer Question.
Posted by: khouse [ Send a Message ]
Date: September 19, 2010 08:15PM Registered: 4 years ago

You could use whatever you wanted. Why it works? Think of it this way by using the number zero with positive and negative numbers. Zero is the line of no response or response. . To make the Propointer stable. It's set up in default at say -4. This is quite a bit under 0. So by using something metal and bringing it closer to the coil you'll raise the number up increasing the sensitivity. So now your effectively changing the default number to zero. Now any little piece of metal will make the Proponter respond. Kind of like a threshold adjustment on a regular machine. I don't see the need for doing this as I think the Propointer is great right out of the box. I think some hunters just don't use it right. I have seen some vids where they open the hole then while pushing the button they start searching. This can detune the Propointer and reduce depth. Turn your Propointer on away from anything at least 6 inches. Then after the start up tone goes off start searching.

whammy
02-08-2011, 09:03 PM
After seeing the video, I dug my pro pointer out of winter storage and tried the coin trick. Have no idea why, but it sure does work. How cool is that. :clapping:

jkress
02-09-2011, 01:20 AM
Add me to the list that have tested this on the Garrett and came back with a big... 'yes it works'. :yes:

dave in iowa
02-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Me too, i tried it and i got about 1 and half inces more on it , great tip. thanks.

nicklehead
10-21-2012, 08:25 AM
I just ran across this topic on the Pro pointer---once again thanx for the great info!
My first encounter with detectorship was 20 years and involved nugget shooting almost exclusively with very little coin or relic hunting. On the prospects the only tool of use was the Falcon Probe made in CO. http://www.falconmetaldetectors.com/ It's incredibly sensitive and will sound with tiny flakes in black sand that are barely visible to the naked eye. It is great for finding flakes in ore but ineffective as a pinpoiter because of the controls which interestingly have as an adjustment for sensitivty as a small copper band down toward the tip which rotates and varies the rings proximity to the tip---same theory as the nickel trick I'd bet.

I just did a quick test on my pointer with it's used battery and the trick doesn't seem to increase the sensitivty much with nuggets but perhaps a slight increase in range. It has to be in direct contact with a 5 grainer either way. 9 grs. gets a reaction at about 1/2.

I will employ the tactic in the field --thanx again for the tips. |:cheering:

roamingusa
11-15-2012, 06:56 PM
I've been wanting to get one thats a cool trick, would it work if you set it up and tape it down and when your ready to go turn it on and touch it just ahead of the nickle with another nickle or against your pocket full of clad? :thinkingabout: