PDA

View Full Version : Santa brung me coal for xmas.

MangoAve
12-29-2015, 01:31 PM
Saturday was pretty warm for December, but today was the first snow up here. Saturday I got out with Kevin and Ray. I had a bunch of sites I offered but it was left up to me to choose which one. I figured I would take them back to the mill site where I got the broken silver fork. I figure it was a site not many bother to check as the mill is actually away from any fishing sites. The fact I was able to easily find a silver fork with a screaming signal, that dates to early 1900s by the silversmith 'union' made me think the spot would have some good targets. This time it was just a tiny bit easier to swing. Unfortunately it was a spot that held a lot of big iron pieces. Most likely they were all from the mill. There were a few holes I dug with some burned wood so I figure this place must have burned after the 30's. Most of the discernible targets were in an L shape just away from the mill spot. A few things like brass ferrules (or bushings) came up, along with a huge valve handle I dug. I knew there was another mill with many buildings just up the road, so we gave up on this place being too hard to find good targets. But not before I saw a huge chunk of coal sitting on the top of the ground. Eyeball find (no it didn't set off the machine but some pieces that looked like melted &bubbly iron ore did set it off). It was big. My great aunt's house had a railroad track behind it but I only remember finding small pieces; never close to this size. There was a railroad that existed near this spot, but far enough that it would have to be carried and not have fallen from the train. That's a six inch ruler.

We actually ended up going to one cellar hole where I got a few good items before. There definitely has to be some items hidden there, but it is a spot that will take a bit of work. The first target was on a slight hill right near the cellar cole and the well. The button says Warranted Rich Orange, but being only a quality back mark I cant identify what exactly it is. I ended up using the machete to cut down a fair amount of this large patch of barberry bushes. It worked a little bit as I pulled up a watch gear and a harmonica reed. The only thing is that underneath the barberries was a pattern of stones making me think there might have been a small shed there. Really small and a few feet in front of a larger barn that held the animals. Maybe there was a second trash pit there, because I found a few older pieces of bottles and nails and ceramic pieces. The first trash pit I saw someone else had started digging up and it was right near the stone wall and just 10 ft from what looked like the privy. This was a site where the luck was at the beginning for me. I told Kev to check the road, which helped him get a few cool relics.
Sunday I got out later. First I went to ask a permission. The woman didn't answer the door yet again. Nor answer the phone. Prob unexpected visitor and unknown number (there was a car in garage and the door open). I guess I will have to resort to a letter. I went up the road toward the place where I got my seated, but stopped at a 1774. The guy was nice and told me some history about the place. It looked promising to me, altho there was a 1724 across the street, because it still had an unpaved driveway and less work to the yard (or so it seems). He said two people have already been there in the 80's, but I assured him that it's all down to how well they knew the machine. Plus targets move in the ground. He asked for a card (which I might actually have to order some), or any info. I had a spare permission form and I left my number for him. We'll see on that place. There exists another dozen places along the way I would like to ask, but I went this time to the furthest. I had tried here once this summer where the door was open, but storm door closed and no one came to answer the door. The guy eventually came to the door when he prob realized I wasn't going very easily. I knocked twice and heard someone moving from floors creaking. I heard a noise behind the house.... turned out to be a bird, and went back to knock once more. He was at the door when I returned, tho. He was fine with me checking the back parcel of property, but when I asked if sometime I could return to detect the main property with the standing house, he just told me there was nothing there. umm.....

I did drive back up the unpaved road seeing an intentional break in the wall. I should have stopped to check it because when I walked back I couldn't find it. The map might be wrong as I actually found the two cellar holes a ways further down the road than the map portrays. As well, there seemed to be another one in there, not on the map. Maybe someone was there before as I did find a few items on a rock, but there were plenty of overloads and junk. I have yet to go thru the junk in the backpack. The first target I actually dug, seeing as the first two were large items right on top of the ground, was a coin. Right near a tree by the back of one cellar. It still rings up like a zinc penny. I was thinking it could be a shield nickel by the size. I am uncertain exactly what it is, but have a few guesses. This was also a time where the luck was all at the beginning and the rest of the hunt was digging junk. It eventually started raining, putting the weather resistance to the test of the new machine. The furthest cellar I checked had a well right at the lip, and one across the road. There weren't many targets to speak of, besides a few falsing and iron hits right by the cellar. There was only a crushed bucket and two falsing signals across the road near the well. idk what was going on at that spot. esp being further in the woods it should have been less checked by a detectorist.
Anyways, here's the coin. I think in the macro picture it shows a roman 3, III. When wet it looks like there is a bust and words on each side of it. Guessing it was a Georgivs on one side, and III Rex on the other side. No I cannot tell which way the bust is facing, nor what is on the back. It is just slightly larger than a US quarter, but smaller than a regular LC. It was about 1.5mm smaller than the KG2 1734 counterfeit I found and a good 2.5mm smaller than a matron (obvi with the more standardized planchet sizes). I have to take a pic of the harmonica reed and watch gear to add to this thread. I can also take a pic of comparison to a matron if requested. Dan said it might be a farthing.

del
12-29-2015, 03:43 PM
Congrats on the coin Jim , and very "festive" tree picture !!:perfect10:

OxShoeDrew
12-29-2015, 03:49 PM
Hey, was that tree your xmas card? Nice job on the coin too!

Lodge Scent
12-29-2015, 10:02 PM
Looks like Santa did cut you some slack. Sounds like a site worth working on some more.

Digger_O'Dell
12-29-2015, 10:29 PM
Congrats on thos finds. Very interested in what you find out about that "farthing" if you are able to clean it up any better.

MangoAve
12-30-2015, 08:35 AM
Congrats on the coin Jim , and very "festive" tree picture !!

Thanks, Dan. Glad you like the pic. After I took it and put the stuff away, I realized I didn't include the larger sash buckle I found this year. Buckles are the commodity I acquire most, it seems. Hmmm.. maybe next year I can hang the crotals as decorative bells on the real tree. :thinkingabout:

Hey, was that tree your xmas card? Nice job on the coin too!

Thanks Drew. I guess I could have made an xmas card using this pic, now that you mention it. I think there was only once when we were talking about that old rock house near you and I found it owned by the town (or bank..idr exactly) that I knew your address to send you a card. lol. But now I forgot it.

Looks like Santa did cut you some slack. Sounds like a site worth working on some more.

A little slack. The second site is the one you think needs more investigation? There are about 10 sites I have been to that need more investigation. One in particular I think needs some weeding out of all the trash and then there will be some nice targets found. My work is cut out, apparently...

Congrats on thos finds. Very interested in what you find out about that "farthing" if you are able to clean it up any better.

Thanks Chris. Not sure how much I can clean it up. It is a little thin already. ... Here's one situation where being near tree roots doesn't preserve the coin by wicking water away. I am not sure what I can do with it. It looked like a disc when I pulled it up and was checking for a shank. I knew it was a coin when I couldn't find even a little bump. Being in the pocket didn't really dry the patina much (which is good if you intend to use a wet cleaning method like peroxide). I did use the hot peroxide method and it eventually started having this green paste/slurry lift rubbing with my fingers and using the toothbrush. Maybe another few times in peroxide will help?? I can only see the formation of the words when the coin is slightly wet. It doesn't have any renwax yet, so I can still do something before I do something that seals it the way it is.

The Rebel
12-30-2015, 10:29 AM
Nice finds & Cool relic display pic!

aloldstuff
12-31-2015, 06:43 AM
Love that xmas tree.

BTV Digger
01-01-2016, 11:25 AM
Good luck on ID'ing that coin. I've got a couple sick Ricks as well and the more I look at them the more my eyes play tricks on me. Nice assortment of buckles and whatnots as well. Best wishes for 2016.

John