PDA

View Full Version : Which Coil is Best...for the V3i

30U Plymouth
07-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Well I'm looking to get a new coil for my V3i.
Now what to buy........ :confused:.
Which coil is best for getting great depth and good separation for the V3i?
I mainly hunt parks, sidewalk curbs, and old houses.

Please explain......

Thanks,
Dale

CyberSage
07-29-2010, 09:33 PM
Well, you ask a very good question my friend. I have to say with great hesitation that the D2 is the best coil for the V3, followed closely by the SEF 1:blackeye:12 coil. I don't have to tell you that this is a love/hate relationship I have with the D2 coil, but the engineers at Whites got it somewhat right with this coil choice. It's a piece of crap, but it digs those deep keepers on a regular basis for me in those heavily hunted parks. Time and time again it has proved itself to me... God, I hate this coil. lol I think ultimately the best coil is yet to be developed. An 11 inch DD coil would be perfect. Quite frankly it is the coil size that is the depth difference between the E-Trac and the V3. White's will get the D2 fixed and life will be good.

Jack

yazoo
07-30-2010, 06:24 AM
I would have to agree with Cyber S. That D2 is a great coil .I haven't had any problems with my D2 coil and it is 1 1/2 yrs old. I think if Whites makes a SEF style of coil they will have best coils going. Yazoo

Lowjiber
07-30-2010, 07:29 AM
V-rated 6 x 10 DD (You know...the white one. ;) ) gets my vote.

rcasio44
07-30-2010, 10:38 AM
I'm still looking for a Whites 8x10 SEF. :beatdeadhorse:Rob

30U Plymouth
07-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks guys for the information.

Has anyone used the 10x12 butterfly coil?

I've seen it being used on you-tube, and it seems to be getting good depth.

pulltabsteve
07-30-2010, 07:13 PM
I have to agree with Lowjiber. 6x10DD. Good depth and great seperation.

rsarge1
07-30-2010, 08:30 PM
i used the 6 x 10 about 98 per cent of the time and just recently i started to use the d-2 again and i seem to be finding more with it so i am still trying to find the one i like the most lol

Joe in Atlanta
08-06-2010, 12:56 PM
I only have the D2 but i have ordered the 6x8 SEF for trash areas.

Schrecky
08-06-2010, 04:07 PM
I just got my third 10 DD coil from Whites. To tell you the truth, I'm afraid to use it for fear it will go bad like the others. I do like the 9.5 concentric coil.

Lowjiber
08-07-2010, 08:46 AM
I just got my third 10 DD coil from Whites. To tell you the truth, I'm afraid to use it for fear it will go bad like the others. I do like the 9.5 concentric coil.

I got my third one back yesterday. White's replaced it when I sent my V in for the i modification. Like you, I'm just a bit leery, but am going to give it a fair test. Hopefully, it will be fine and I can return my 6x10DD to its rightful home on the MXT.

JohnPaul
08-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Hands down it's the 6x10. I would melt the D2 down into a plastic wedge and use it for a door stop. :clapping:

CyberSage
08-10-2010, 08:46 AM
Hands down it's the 6x10. I would melt the D2 down into a plastic wedge and use it for a door stop. :clapping:

lol I have had this same sentiment many times concerning the D2.

The 6X10 is highly stable on the V3. This is simply because it has a smaller field. You will not come close to getting the depth that you would get with the D2. So, if you don't care about those deep old coins and just want to hunt clad and jewelry, the 6x10 is the better choice. If you have a high trash level with High Strength mineralization the 6X10 would work in this situation as well. Your comparing a 6 coil to a 10 coil. Even with reduced sensitivity on the D2 to compensate for EMI you will still get better depth in moderately mineralized soils. Testing these 2 coils side by side in the coin garden makes this fact very obvious. The 6X10 is not even close. Realistically the best coil for the V3 is dependent on the hunting conditions, but overall If I had to choose one coil it would be the D2. I like to find old coins. This is an obvious choice for my needs.

Jack

30U Plymouth
08-10-2010, 05:33 PM
There has been alot of very good advice given on this subject.
It looks like I may need to wait and see if something better will come along.
I would like to see an 11 or 12 DD coil made for the V3.
I guess I will continue to use the 10&quot:grin:cheesysmile: for now.

If you have any other suggestions......please post them.

Thanks,
Dale