PDA

View Full Version : Buried Coin Stash Near a tree

KCFindIt
01-02-2016, 08:53 AM
I was curious if anyone has ever found a buried jar or stash of coins near an old tree base? What I'm curious about is if the tree roots push the stash out and away from the tree, or if the roots grow around the jar and essentially make it impossible to retrieve, short of chopping down the tree. I figure either scenario is likely. I just want to know if anyone has encountered this and what, if anything, did you do, and what was the end results.
Thanks,
Kasey

del
01-14-2016, 07:03 PM
Hey Kasey , how have you been ?? , Sorry for the late response . Posts move pretty good on this board !! Tree roots can and will do either of your scenarios to a cache , I've had whole mason jars tangled up in the roots and I've seen the mostly pushed out of the ground by tree roots too. Unfortunately both Mason Jars were empty though :girlcry::overreaction::girlcry: ,the only cache i've found have been geocaches , one was a large ammo can with items inside , the other was a large coffee can . Both were buried and sounded like a man hole cover :lol:. I've found many coin spills though .

Dan

KCFindIt
01-15-2016, 07:36 AM
Thanks for your reply, Dan. I've been doing pretty well. Things have finally settled down a little and I am beginning to get out again for some sorely missed hunts. My husband retired at the end of the year, and he says he plans to purchase a detector and start hunting with me.
The tree root question was posed, because I generally search around really old tree trunks, and my concern is that something (someday) is going to light up my detector, but I'm not going to be able to dig it out. At night, I dream about finding buried stash all the time. I'm hoping it's a sign!
Kasey

del
01-15-2016, 07:44 AM
Hey , give your husband my congrats on his retirement :cheering:and hope he will enjoy the new free time and the hobby . I hope your dream about the cache is a sign too Kasey!!:yes:

Dan

KCFindIt
01-16-2016, 01:05 PM
Thank you, I hope so too.
I am now shopping around for a 2nd detector, as he wants to join me in my quest to find the treasures!

sonofdust
01-16-2016, 04:59 PM
I have a little tid-bit for ya Kasey that may help you find that "Gold" stash. When hunting around old trees look up for a nail sticking out the side of the branches. Hang a plum blob over the nail to mark the spot on the ground. Keeping in mind over the years the tree growth will throw thing off some. Its helped me find a few old lids and a nice amber mason jar ant farm? Don't stop with a quart jar, go for those big pickle jars. HH&GB

KCFindIt
01-17-2016, 08:09 AM
Thank you for your interesting tip.