PDA

View Full Version : False signals

pennygleaner
01-02-2016, 09:19 AM
Wondering if anyone else has gotten false signals from tree roots in red soil? Frequently get what sounds like a small coin, but find nothing but small tree roots. Once I've removed them I search the hole and vicinity but the signal is gone. I do a lot of detecting in the woods and would love some feedback or suggestions

Digger_O'Dell
01-02-2016, 10:18 AM
Very often you can get false signals from mineralization in the soil, hot rocks, or even iron that has rusted away to basically nothing but dust. The latter will give a signal until you dig and disturb the pocket of rust and break it up until it's too small to detect mixed in with surrounding soil. You need to look for a good solid repeatable signal from 2 directions to confirm a target, but that's not even always 100%.

Ill Digger
01-02-2016, 12:10 PM
Nope. Never from roots. :dontknow:
But like DO'D said, small pieces of iron or wire will give you falsing. Until you dig down and break up the iron matrix. Then the ghost signal will be gone.
I've encountered this before when detecting around newer trees. I've dug down on these signal a few times to find the wire mesh that is use to hold the root ball together on a newly planted tree. But if your hunting in the woods your issue is probably from something else.

Lodge Scent
01-02-2016, 07:51 PM
I've read on a UK site where someone had the same issue. When the broke the root, the signal stopped. Sort of like breaking a circuit.

I have had good signals disappear once I have dug the hole. Like Digger was saying, sometimes a very deep target will form a halo over the years. Once you break the halo, you lose the signal. Best thing to do is dig some more and find it with your pinpointer. What drives me batty is those little 22 caliber shorts.

pennygleaner
01-03-2016, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Been driving me nuts. Heading out later today. I'll let y'all know how it goes