PDA

View Full Version : Input on a new detector

groundhog53946
01-03-2016, 01:39 AM
I have the means at this time to buy a different machine or two depending on what I find. This/these purchases are probably going to be my only opportunity to buy new or a used top end machine. I'm kind of stuck on getting an at pro for the water and shallower clad but am kind of lost after that as I do like to find silver coins also. I know the pro can find them but I'm sure it leaves a lot of deeper ones. A ctx may be a possibility, but it would be all I could get. My only real experience comes from my f2 which for a beginner's model it is very good. I know from reading about the ctx and deus and several others that there will be a huge learning curve with it but I had that with the f2 trying to learn that mostly on my own. But I'm sure I can handle that with everybody's help. I'm mostly a coin and jewelry hunter in case I didn't mention it so something that has a taste for gold would be nice also. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Digger_O'Dell
01-03-2016, 02:58 AM
In my opinion, if you can get the CTX it's the best machine out there. From what I have heard the Deus is pretty good too, but I don't know much about them. Honestly I haven't heard of too many people using them. The CTX is a bit heavy, but the balance is so good you will never really notice it even after a full day of swinging. As for the learning curve, since you already have extensive experience and countless hours detecting some of the toughest areas I have seen such as the campground, the switch I think will be much easier than you think. What I really like is the ability of the CTX to deal with multiple targets under the coil such as a nail and a coin, and being able to unmask the good target.

Since I switched over from my X-Terra it did take me a while to dial everything in where I like it program wise. It was more intimidation factor for me because I was thinking the CTX was such a complicated machine but once I got used to it most everything is very simple and straight forward. I also have the CTX handbook by Andy Sabisch which I would be happy to loan you. It explains pretty much everything from the most basic to some of the most advance features and techniques in very simple terms.

Lastly, if you do decide to go with the CTX, I would suggest extra coils if you can swing it. First priority would be the small 6" coil for trashy areas. Last would be the big 17" for open areas and greater depth. The wireless remote is really nice and you can use any decent headphones you like. Of course there is always the option of going with underwater headphones too if you decide to go completely under water. Also, if you do water detect you may need a decent scoop which can run around $150 for a large stainless one and a good handle to attach to it.

If you are in no hurry to buy, you can check out this free classified site for a machine and/or coils. http://www.treasureclassifieds.com/metal-detectors. This was where I found mine for about half of new price lightly used and still under warranty. I also found the coils (6" and 17") brand new still in the bag for a huge discount, as well as a lightly used stainless scoop for only $40. Both the machine and coils were found locally so was able to save on shipping.

groundhog53946
01-03-2016, 09:07 AM
Thanks for your thoughts Digger! I'm trying to not rush into buying one but I've found for me that if I wait too long, then the money disappears

Lodge Scent
01-03-2016, 10:51 AM
I don't own a CTX but a buddy does and it is indeed a fine machine. I do own a Deus and it is also a fine machine. The Deus was designed to deal with the thousands of years of iron trash that has accumulated at many European sites. I love my Deus and wouldn't trade it. I've read many posts from folks who have both machines. The knock they have on the Deus compared to the CTX is that the CTX's VDIs are much more reliable on deep targets. That might be important to a lot of detectorists, but that has no bearing on the type of hunting I do. Whether it had a VDI of 63 or 93, it is coming out of the ground. The Deus does have the advantage in recovery speed, weight, upgradeability. I think CTTodd uses both machines. Maybe he can weigh in. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Just go with the one that will suit your particular needs better.

Bucknut
01-05-2016, 01:17 PM
I agree with Lodge Scent about the deus. I think it is the best machine IF you want to dig everything! I own one and use it at field sites or places that are old and that do not have any modern trash. At old places I dig every tone and I find that the deus can sniff out the non iron targets better than my Etrac.

However in the parks I use my Etrac. The Etrac is the little brother of the CTX ($500-700 cheaper).

So I would base my decision on the type of detecting you plan on doing. If you detect parks, schools and homes that are still standing then the Etrac or CTX might be your best option. If you like cellar holes or farm field sites or similar places where you want to dig everything then the deus might be your best option.

Whatever you choose I strongly suggest you learn your machine. Also do your research on your hunting spots. If you do both of those then you will up your chances of finding the goodies you are after!

Finally, do not get rid of your F2. you will be glad to have a back up detector more than you think. Also if you have a family member or friend that takes interest in the hobby then you can lend it to them and share in your adventures.

MangoAve
01-05-2016, 02:30 PM
One thing to be aware of for the Deus... the connection for the display module. A club member has one and pointed out how easy it is to knock the display off the detector and it could easily get lost. Obvi that means the display is not a pass thru for the earphones. The earphones and display are both receivers, so one can be missing but the system would still work. It'd be hard to have the headphones fall off and not notice... but the display if you don't check it often. I don't look at my display every single second. I've had my BT transmitter fall off while walking through a dense area....while I'm not swinging so there's no noise in headphone regardless. It's just habit to look down and check after these dense areas and see... oops... it fell of just a second ago. Must be over there...

RaZR
01-05-2016, 04:07 PM
Looks like you decided on the Deus. Right?

GL/HH

groundhog53946
01-05-2016, 10:01 PM
I think I'm going with a CTX. I figure if I can only do this once, I should go big and also buy a new machine. I've never had a new one. And yes, I'm keeping the f2. I really like that machine. With any luck, the CTX and I will bond and produce well and then maybe a deus or etrac down the road

Digger_O'Dell
01-05-2016, 10:48 PM
The E-Trac would only be a step backwards. Not as well balanced from what I hear, and slightly less advanced FBS and electronics. Still a great machine though. But as a second machine if you ever replace the F2 I would suggest going to an X-Terra 705 to stay with the Minelab family. This would greatly reduce the learning curve and having to learn a new "language". Otherwise I think a great back-up machine would be the Makro racer. I have heard nothing but great things about it especially for the price, and I hear the depth capability is almost absurd.

MangoAve
01-06-2016, 07:20 AM
Otherwise I think a great back-up machine would be the Makro racer. I have heard nothing but great things about it especially for the price, and I hear the depth capability is almost absurd.

Apparently you didn't research enough.... :shame: :grin: You prob only saw the good videos on YouTube for the makro. It does have a lot of good features and that was even the one with the light facing the coil. The only thing you missed is that quite a few people had issues where the coil ears were breaking off. It is possible Makro listened and are making the plastic casing for the coils better now, but they were breaking before. No saying how rough the users were on their machines, too.. I know I've bumped my coil pretty hard trying to get right up to stone walls and the downed trees too big to move.

groundhog53946
01-06-2016, 01:18 PM
I've seen post about them making thicker ears now but I would bet that most of the used ones have the thinner ears

ODA 226
01-11-2016, 06:21 AM
I think I'm going with a CTX. I figure if I can only do this once, I should go big and also buy a new machine. I've never had a new one. And yes, I'm keeping the f2. I really like that machine. With any luck, the CTX and I will bond and produce well and then maybe a deus or etrac down the road

IMHO, that's your best choice!