PDA

View Full Version : If you hate the way people drive now....

coinnut
07-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Got this from another place and decided it is fun (kinda mezmerizing) :twirlingeyes: If you think traffic and pedestrians are awful today, think again lol Some of them kids taunting the conductor must have made his day :ticked: At least if you hit some bratty kid back then it was the kids fault lol

YouTube - Air - La Femme D'Argent (http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=NINOxRxze9k#)

del
07-30-2010, 12:37 PM
i think that cop was j-walking lol lol i didn't see one traffic sign or light :crazy: and it looked like chaos on that road lol lol but all i could think about was imagine all the money they must of dropped back then on that dirt road :drool:

coinnut
07-30-2010, 01:01 PM
i think that cop was j-walking lol lol i didn't see one traffic sign or light :crazy: and it looked like chaos on that road lol lol but all i could think about was imagine all the money they must of dropped back then on that dirt road :drool:

Yep, Barbers, Seated and Indians, not to mention gold coins and silver dollars :drool: I guess this was shot a couple of days before the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.

del
07-30-2010, 01:04 PM
i would of never guessed that was San Francisco you can see that clock tower in the background from the beginning way to flat for that city.

coinnut
07-30-2010, 01:50 PM
i would of never guessed that was San Francisco you can see that clock tower in the background from the beginning way to flat for that city.

I guess it's on Market Street :confused: For those of you who may know where that is lol

angellionel
07-30-2010, 04:02 PM
It was every man for himself. No traffic lights or stop signs. :shocked01: Imagine, though, if you could travel through time to hit that place with a modern detector. :drool: lol

randwool
07-30-2010, 07:20 PM
That was one Mass of Humanity.

Cheap Thrills
07-31-2010, 12:59 AM
Market St. is still recognizable for what it was then and the Ferry building is still dead center of it at the furthest point . The more things change the more they remain the same truly applies to Market Street . Kind of eerie grooving to that music and watching the images of those people long gone and wondering if one may be my Grandfather or Great Grandfather commuting about on the cobblestones .
A lot of lower Market St. was built on fill land and when they started excavating to put in some of the Hi-rise buildings , buried wooden ships and hulls were found along with some very interesting artifacts . It is practically impossible to get into the construction sites now as they are immediately fenced off and patrolled due to liability and theft issues . It's a crying shame too because most have great coinage , bottles and artifacts . Several years ago there was a story printed in the newspapers about a bottledigger who scored big on one of these sites and later showed up to do some more digging there with a new truck he had purchased with his recent finds .
Thanks for posting that George , I enjoyed seeing the film although I have already seen that same footage used in dozens of programs depicting those days ( KRON Channel 4 uses it a lot ) .
That is the first time I have heard music by the group Air I liked it a lot and checked out several more of their creations on the You tube link and was blown away . It's nice to get turned on to new music , it kind of frees up the mind a little bit .

Baba

coinnut
07-31-2010, 09:14 PM
Market St. is still recognizable for what it was then and the Ferry building is still dead center of it at the furthest point . The more things change the more they remain the same truly applies to Market Street . Kind of eerie grooving to that music and watching the images of those people long gone and wondering if one may be my Grandfather or Great Grandfather commuting about on the cobblestones .
A lot of lower Market St. was built on fill land and when they started excavating to put in some of the Hi-rise buildings , buried wooden ships and hulls were found along with some very interesting artifacts . It is practically impossible to get into the construction sites now as they are immediately fenced off and patrolled due to liability and theft issues . It's a crying shame too because most have great coinage , bottles and artifacts . Several years ago there was a story printed in the newspapers about a bottledigger who scored big on one of these sites and later showed up to do some more digging there with a new truck he had purchased with his recent finds .
Thanks for posting that George , I enjoyed seeing the film although I have already seen that same footage used in dozens of programs depicting those days ( KRON Channel 4 uses it a lot ) .
That is the first time I have heard music by the group Air I liked it a lot and checked out several more of their creations on the You tube link and was blown away . It's nice to get turned on to new music , it kind of frees up the mind a little bit .

Baba

Hey Baba, you're alive lol Nice to hear from you my friend. It is eerie seeing all them people and realizing that all of them folks are probably long gone. :shocked04:stretcher: I guess I was just stunned by the lawlessness and chaos of people and wagons crossing in front of each other. And we think we have a high paced society today? lol What's the rush? What, is everyone late for something lol It's kind of ghost like seeing them old films. Kinda creepy rofl

Epi-hunter
08-02-2010, 02:33 PM
I didn't see this before :)

There is an intersection (using the term loosely) in the middle of a downtown area in either CT or MA, can't remember exactly where, that I am reminded of. Five lanes of traffic all converging into one intersection, no stop signs, no stoplights, nothing. I was never so scared in my life... cars careening every which way, swerving here and there, stopping in the middle of the intersection, trying to decide which direction was least likely to get them killed... it was like the demolition derby except with no warning lol I think the city council was drunk when it was designed.

del
08-02-2010, 03:23 PM
ah you must be talking about one of our famous rotaries i thing that means enter at your own risk in somekind of old language in colonial days lol lol they can be pretty confusing and i think half the people don't know how to properly use , enter and exit these deathtraps. :ticked:

Epi-hunter
08-02-2010, 04:59 PM
ah you must be talking about one of our famous rotaries i thing that means enter at your own risk in somekind of old language in colonial days lol lol they can be pretty confusing and i think half the people don't know how to properly use , enter and exit these deathtraps. :ticked:

'Rotary'. Yeah, that sounds about right. lol Who, in what moment of insanity, would even think that could be a good idea? 8/

Dan, you really have to come experience driving here. I can't get used to it. I've already totaled one car. Using a turn signal is apparently considered to be a major favor, to be granted only on perhaps a lazy Sunday afternoon or some other time when there is nothing better to do. And then only after coming to a COMPLETE stop in the roadway. 8/ And don't honk at anyone because you might just see the business end of a loaded shotgun pointed at you from the car.

Okay I'm exaggerating a bit on that last part, but I do scream and yell all the way home from work. I'll go take my Xanax now lol

del
08-02-2010, 05:31 PM
'Rotary'. Yeah, that sounds about right. lol Who, in what moment of insanity, would even think that could be a good idea? 8/

Dan, you really have to come experience driving here. I can't get used to it. I've already totaled one car. Using a turn signal is apparently considered to be a major favor, to be granted only on perhaps a lazy Sunday afternoon or some other time when there is nothing better to do. And then only after coming to a COMPLETE stop in the roadway. 8/ And don't honk at anyone because you might just see the business end of a loaded shotgun pointed at you from the car.

Okay I'm exaggerating a bit on that last part, but I do scream and yell all the way home from work. I'll go take my Xanax now lol

yeah we have them kind of people here too ,you know the type , they scream and get mad :ticked: at you when they are clearly in the wrong and think you are the one doing something bad. :bangahead01: :bangahead01: . my wife doesn't like to drive with me because i don't use blinkers , she says the car came with them for a reason , it was a manditory option lol lol god i love that woman but for my own defence i only not use them when nobody is around i'm a curteous driver and haven't even had a ticket since i moved out here (20 plus years now). i tell her whats the point in using my signal if no ones around to see it but you and me lol lol but have been known to get the road rage on someone but usually that person has to p!$$ me off a few times :yes: why i even layed on my horn continuesly for about five miles straight at someone , while waiting at traffic lights , stop signs ect. just to prove my point that the guy in front was an idiot behind the wheel lol rofl lol

coinnut
08-02-2010, 05:45 PM
I didn't see this before :)

There is an intersection (using the term loosely) in the middle of a downtown area in either CT or MA, can't remember exactly where, that I am reminded of. Five lanes of traffic all converging into one intersection, no stop signs, no stoplights, nothing. I was never so scared in my life... cars careening every which way, swerving here and there, stopping in the middle of the intersection, trying to decide which direction was least likely to get them killed... it was like the demolition derby except with no warning lol I think the city council was drunk when it was designed.

There is one intersection in East Longmeadow, MA that has 6 or 7 roads coming into the rotary. It has not been upgraded to having any lights because it's in the Guiness World Book of Records. So everyone suffers because of that :confused: Also our town has no traffic lights in it. I guess the thinking is, if you put one up, you will have more and more of them lol So take that Xanax Angie and pass a couple of them to Del, since I believe he is still honking that horn, even today :twirlingeyes:

Cheap Thrills
10-29-2010, 10:57 PM
What's crazy for me is that I can actually see a window (at:43) that I used to live in back in the mid 90s during my bit as a bike messenger there. It's the flattest street in the city for sure until you hit a few blocks west going towards the ocean. CZ

Welcome to the forum CZ , Sometime during the 90's I remember seeing a bike messenger on Market St. get pulled over and written a ticket . If memory serves me right it was a by motorcycle cop , by any chance.................naw :thinkingabout:

tanacat
11-01-2010, 09:36 AM
I love the music... thanks for sharing this G :)

Jason in Enid
11-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks for sharing, it certainly was a different world back then!