PDA

View Full Version : White's Coin Getter

Skamaniac
01-08-2016, 04:55 AM
I bought an old White's machine at a junk shop called a Coin Getter. By the looks of it, I'd guess from the 1970's or 80's or so. It's got a very small coil and the component box has one knob and a speaker.

I got it for a few bucks because it didn't work. I took it apart, checked some wiring, changed the battery and it actually works! But I can't find any info on that model, like it's age, what it sold for back in the day, etc. It appears to be very,very entry level.

Any of you guys familiar with White's ever heard of a Coin Getter? I'll include a pic of it this weekend.

Digger_O'Dell
01-08-2016, 06:29 AM
Here's an obsolete link with a photo.
http://coingetter.8m.com/

According to the forums online regarding this detector it's early to mid 70's. Whites no longer has a manual for it online, but you could possibly write them and request a digital copy. They may still have something in their files on it.

Fire Fighter 43
01-08-2016, 01:28 PM
I have most of Whites catalogs from the mid 70s to late 80's and have never heard of it. Do you have a picture?

del
01-08-2016, 05:27 PM
:shocked04: Skamaniac I think you posted this in the wrong section :thinkingabout::thinkingabout:because that machine is a real RELIC!! :lol: its always very cool to see the old types of detectors especially ones I've never heard of !!

Dan

Skamaniac
01-09-2016, 08:54 PM
Sweet Home, Oregon is only a few hours from here. I might just drive down there in the spring. I want to see the factory anyway.

Skamaniac
01-09-2016, 09:51 PM
Here are photos of the old White's machine.

Skamaniac
01-09-2016, 09:58 PM
:shocked04: Skamaniac I think you posted this in the wrong section :thinkingabout::thinkingabout:because that machine is a real RELIC!! :lol: its always very cool to see the old types of detectors especially ones I've never heard of !!

Dan

Well, I'm a relic too, so we go well together. Can't wait for the snow to disappear so I can give it run and see what it can do.

Digger_O'Dell
01-09-2016, 10:04 PM
If you do go to the Whites factory, make sure to take that along. They may want it for a museum display! :lol:

Hope it works for you, I would be interested to hear how well it works. I seem to remember Whites being by far the best of the best back in the day.

Fire Fighter 43
01-11-2016, 08:39 PM
From the coil design and decal I would bet it is from the mid 70's. Very basic entry level detector. It is cool and having it in working condition is even better. A couple years ago I purchased a Whites Beachcomber from 1977. It was the first real detector (no kit) I owned. I have it hanging on the wall of my detector man cave.

GA1dad
01-11-2016, 10:16 PM
Put that dude back in service and lets see some finds!!

Skamaniac
01-12-2016, 12:00 AM
Out that dude back in service and lets see some finds!!

I'm going to do just that as soon as the snow melts. Should be fun to see what it can do.

Digger_O'Dell
01-12-2016, 12:39 AM
Bet it will be like my first detector. Likely find every nail in the yard! :lol:

GA1dad
01-12-2016, 01:46 PM
Or it could be like the Bounty Hunter I just sold. Stepped out in the yard "just to check batteries and function". First target was a near complete pocket watch.

Skamaniac
01-12-2016, 09:30 PM
White's got back to me. The Coin Getter was from 1977. The GEB model sold for $179 and the TR model sold for $69. This one has one knob that is on/off and Tune, so not sure which model that would make it. Also, there is no manual available for it. I guess it's so simple a manual wasn't needed.