PDA

View Full Version : A "Dandy" of a spur

del
01-10-2016, 12:02 PM
I made it our with HEAVYMETALNUT (Dave) and Thiltzy (Todd) yesterday for some much needed hiking :lol: and detecting :yes:. After our first possible site was turned up no sites Todd suggested another site of theirs that they been wanting to go back to. So after a short drive then a good hike we arrived at a nice secluded older colonial with many stone walled pens . It was a great area but the only drawback was many many fallen trees littering the immediate area around where the home sat. :crying01: Not a huge amount of targets but some good ones , one was a large button that looked like it has a bit of gold gilt hiding under the dirt.

but cleaned up very nicely to reveal a lot of gilt and "hand tooled" design that i was very pleased with :happydance01:.

Also after finding many pieces in the past of this "bucket lister" i finally found a brass spur :bananadance:, i'm hoping i can narrow down an accurate time period to this one .

I also seen something we don't often see here in New England .... a log cabin or whats left of one .

can't beat detecting in January !! thanks for looking .

Digger Don
01-10-2016, 12:24 PM
Congrats on your cool finds Dan. That spur is really cool.
Even more congrats on where you are able to hunt.
To see the ruins of a real log cabin, how cool is that?

Lodge Scent
01-10-2016, 12:35 PM
Awesome looking site Dan. Love the brass spur !!! :congrats:

RIdirtdigger
01-10-2016, 04:23 PM
Great finds. Let's hope the weather keeps up.

The Rebel
01-10-2016, 07:37 PM
Pretty wild Dan! You think that cabin was from the 1930's - 40's?

Digger_O'Dell
01-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Nice old spur-don't think I've seen one quite like that before. Congrats!

Bearbqd
01-10-2016, 08:27 PM
Wow, that fireplace is awesome, what a great looking old site. Nice finds too.

GA1dad
01-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Great find,,, and great looking site!!

chief5709
01-11-2016, 10:23 AM
Nice spur Dan! Do you think someone put the log cabin around an older fireplace?

MangoAve
01-11-2016, 10:35 AM
Nice dandy and spur, Dan. There def was a lot of gilt hiding on that button. Maybe once I have seen a few timbers from the old sites, but nothing like that pic. Be thankful for your site being 'clean'. I should've chosen a spot that wasn't a high elevation for Saturday.

del
01-11-2016, 03:46 PM
Congrats on your cool finds Dan. That spur is really cool.
Even more congrats on where you are able to hunt.
To see the ruins of a real log cabin, how cool is that?

Thanks Don , the spur was a nice surprise as i at first thought i found another trigger guard because i could only see one end. I could wiggle it in the hole but couldn't free it because of tree roots so it took me a while to "hack" them away with my little sampson shovel.

Awesome looking site Dan. Love the brass spur !!! :congrats:

Thanks Jeff , the spur definitely took the pressure off finding anything :lol:

Great finds. Let's hope the weather keeps up.

Jim the weather has been great hasn't it :yahoo:, thanks

Pretty wild Dan! You think that cabin was from the 1930's - 40's?

Roger , i think its an older hunting cabin maybe from the late 1800's or around 1900 . with the exception of larger iron pieces iron it was pretty empty of other targets:dontknow: i was hoping for a v-nickle or barber atleast!! Thanks

Nice old spur-don't think I've seen one quite like that before. Congrats!

Thanks DOD , the "terminals" on the side of the spur are kinda unusual and I haven't been able to pin the time frame on it yet :hairpulling: . the typical common double "slotted" types seem to be both older and newer than colonial ones but from what Dave and Todd say this is a pretty old site .

Wow, that fireplace is awesome, what a great looking old site. Nice finds too.

Barry this site was just a stone throws away from a colonial cellar foundation and i had to get a couple of pictures . Thanks

Great find,,, and great looking site!!

Thank you sir !!

Nice spur Dan! Do you think someone put the log cabin around an older fireplace?

Brian , i think it was all built around the same time era but the fireplace looked like it had some cement or mortar repairs and even they looked old . i think it was a turn of the century hunting cabin . Thanks

Nice dandy and spur, Dan. There def was a lot of gilt hiding on that button. Maybe once I have seen a few timbers from the old sites, but nothing like that pic. Be thankful for your site being 'clean'. I should've chosen a spot that wasn't a high elevation for Saturday.

Thanks Jim , i can get an idea as to how much gilt is still on some buttons but they still surprise me as to how much is really under the dirt .

OxShoeDrew
01-12-2016, 04:35 PM
I'd bet there aren't many things on your bucket list...you better be careful....you know what happens when you complete your bucket list :lol:
Who are these people Todd and Dave you speak of? :lol:
Nice finds!!

BTV Digger
01-14-2016, 10:22 AM
Nice set of finds Dan and great to see you can still get out. Not much snow up here either but the frozen ground has stopped us up here in the North Country for a awhile now. Congrats on the spur and nice cleanup job on the button.

John