PDA

View Full Version : nice weather cellar hunt with Coinnut, finally

del
07-31-2010, 05:44 PM
today was very pleasant for detecting in the woods with hardly any bugs , and temps only into the 70's :cheering: :clapping: :happydance01: so Coinnut and i hit one of his favorite spots ( large colonial site) that has coughed up some coins in the past . it was slow going with very little to show for our efforts . i did see some very strange bright orange fungi clumped together and i tried to get George to eat some but he chickened out :hammer: lol lol (so i took a picture cause Dave would of) lol lol :poke: :teasing: i did manage a couple of plain buttons and an 1846 large cent :peace: that was about 8 inches down and must of been on edge because it only sounded in one direction and rang out like a deep rusty nail would (not like the usual flutey coin tone on my dfx). later we traveled to another site for a couple of hours and there i got a few more buttons and a 1916 wheatback penny and a 1807 draped bust large cent ( its in poor shape :mad: ) . George asked me to get a before cleaning picture on the 1846 copper and then an after cleaned one as well. two coppers today and boy finding them feels great as they were long over due :rolleyes:

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-31-2010, 06:07 PM
NICE FUNGI PIC! i'm jealous! :behave:
that's a nice lookin coronet large cent! better than most of mine came out!
glad ya got 2 for the copper count..you were so overdue buddy :clapping:
nice overall hunt guys! thumbsup01

del
07-31-2010, 06:31 PM
NICE FUNGI PIC! i'm jealous! :behave:
that's a nice lookin coronet large cent! better than most of mine came out!
glad ya got 2 for the copper count..you were so overdue buddy :clapping:
nice overall hunt guys! thumbsup01

thanks Dave , knew you'd like the psychodelic fungus picture :yes:.hey did you get my e-mail , how did you make out on those buttons by the way.

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-31-2010, 06:44 PM
thanks Dave , knew you'd like the psychodelic fungus picture :yes:.hey did you get my e-mail , how did you make out on those buttons by the way.

yes i received it thanks Dan.we are all squared away.
look at my post on what is it section.stuff i found at a tag sale today.
could use any info and /or value on these 2 items.
http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=2093.0

Snowy
07-31-2010, 07:54 PM
NICE! The LC cleaned up nice. How'd you clean it, and what's it look like dry?

del
07-31-2010, 08:09 PM
NICE! The LC cleaned up nice. How'd you clean it, and what's it look like dry?

thanks
Donna she was given a hot peroxide bath followed by a q-tip scrub and then given a coat of coin restorer then patted dry , how it looks in the picture is dry.

angellionel
07-31-2010, 09:07 PM
Man, why can't my coppers come out that way from the parks. :crying02: It's beautiful, Dan! :smitten: Very nice finds and photos. thumbsup01

Snowy
07-31-2010, 09:11 PM
Del, never heard of coin restorer. Have to look into that!

coinnut
07-31-2010, 09:57 PM
Nice '46 Large Cent Dan :clapping: It looked like it was going to clean up well, but it came out better than I expected it to :shocked04: Sweet!!! That orange stuff was pretty tasty...except for the getting sick part lol Next time you eat it. You did well today for some hit sites :yes: I had just a few targets and some oddball stuff. The Eagle button still had a little gilt left on it, and the two piece button was kinda cool too. The rest of it is just for the relic box lol It was a great day out today!!

Snowy
07-31-2010, 10:05 PM
Cool old eagle button. no stars, huh?

del
07-31-2010, 10:16 PM
wow , that button is in great shape George how about a size and backmark :rolleyes: :dontknow: definately looks military are you sure theres no regiment number on the shield.congrats on that one it looks pretty early.

coinnut
07-31-2010, 10:29 PM
Cool old eagle button. no stars, huh?

Yea, not sure if it's a Jacksonian (but I don't think it is) or a General Issue like the one in Alberts listed as GI56. I'm leaning toward military. I didn't find a lot today, but once again that 5 Sunray coil pulled these out of a cellar hole that I squeeked many buttons out of. Those two buttons were missed. I'm starting to find more and more military buttons :happydance01:

del
07-31-2010, 10:36 PM
no its military for sure but the GI56 button is 23mm yours looks smaller about dime sized or just smaller about 15mm wouldn't you say.no backmark :huh::huh:thinkingabout:? some of the close variations date from1799 to 1815 -20 probably militia . i'll find which one it is . its a great button , i just said today it would be nice to see a military button come from that first site too. :crazy: :twirlingeyes: kooky

coinnut
07-31-2010, 10:50 PM
no its military for sure but the GI56 button is 23mm yours looks smaller about dime sized or just smaller about 15mm wouldn't you say.no backmark :huh::huh:thinkingabout:? some of the close variations date from1799 to 1815 -20 probably militia . i'll find which one it is . its a great button , i just said today it would be nice to see a military button come from that first site too. :crazy: :twirlingeyes: kooky

Yea, it's smaller for sure lol The only part of the backmark that I can read is London. The rest is in UFO style old english letters rofl The remaining gilt only partially fills each letter making it harder to read. Here's some pictures of it for your viewing pleasure lol

John M
08-01-2010, 06:48 AM
Sweet large cent Dan.Looks like taking a week off got you recharged and back on track.
Nice button George and it does look Early Military.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-01-2010, 07:15 AM
awesome button G-MAN! you guys did great! thumbsup01

del
08-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Man, why can't my coppers come out that way from the parks. :crying02: It's beautiful, Dan! :smitten: Very nice finds and photos. thumbsup01

thanks Angel , but the question is why can't my cellar holes be loaded with silver like your parks :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: lol lol

Sweet large cent Dan.Looks like taking a week off got you recharged and back on track.
Nice button George and it does look Early Military.

yes i believe that and the cooler weather made the difference, and thanks

Yea, it's smaller for sure lol The only part of the backmark that I can read is London. The rest is in UFO style old english letters rofl The remaining gilt only partially fills each letter making it harder to read. Here's some pictures of it for your viewing pleasure lol

George , the old english writing looks like best quality

coinnut
08-01-2010, 09:31 PM
George , the old english writing looks like best quality

:confused: Best Quality Hmmm. I don't see it, but then again I don't know what it says either lol It is 15 mm by the way, I measured it today.... good guess thumbsup01

xzlr8n
08-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Super great shape 1846 Lg Cent. All the 1840's I've found (two rofl) have been badly corroded, poor quality copper I suspected?? Glad to hear the bugs calmed down for you, mosquitos have been vicious the last couple of times I went out.

catskillcomics
08-10-2010, 05:52 AM
Great hunt guys, boy I have to say that 1846 LC came out GREAT! <:
I am dying to find an LC in that great of shape.. the grounds over here really eat up them coppers.