PDA

View Full Version : January D.B. Penny

del
01-18-2016, 07:15 AM
"January hunt in Connecticut" :cheering::cheering: Yes its still been pretty mild here , So I met up with HEAVYMETALNUT (Dave) , Thiltzy (Todd) , RITerry and his Brother Paul yesterday. Unfortunately we did a bit more hiking than detecting and most of these cellar sites have been hit very hard. we did find one that cough up many buttons , I even managed a slick copper , 9 buttons , a small thimble , a brass saddle strap escutcheon and a suspender clip. the big copper turned out to be a very worn Draped bust (no date) after a light brass brushing .

I want to thank Dave , Todd , Terry and Paul for a great day of fun and laughs .

Dan

Lodge Scent
01-18-2016, 08:06 AM
Nice! I think this time last year Dan, we had at least 2 feet of snow on the ground and it just kept coming! January DBs are a great thing.

10X
01-18-2016, 08:33 AM
Nice finds Dan. Sounds like a fun hunt.

Tony Two-Cent
01-18-2016, 09:05 AM
Current temp here in Illinois is 5 F with a wind chill of -11. :frozen:

I'm glad you were able to get out, Dan!

If I found a coin like that here in Illinois I would be doing the happy dance for a week.

:congrats:

BTV Digger
01-18-2016, 09:09 AM
Nice digs Dan, and especially for January. Looks like the white stuff may be coming your way as well toward the end of the week. We're locked down up north here until most likely March or April. I see you mention using a brass brush on the DB. Is that an alternative method to the H2O2 or just for certain types/conditions of coins?

John

chief5709
01-18-2016, 10:18 AM
Congrats Dan! Can't beat making finds in January!

MangoAve
01-18-2016, 10:56 AM
That suspender clip has a unique pattern. Nice finds, Dan. Good too see you got out around your Bday. I thought you had said the pictured cellar was to come back to later on...

Has Dave got a copper yet?

del
01-18-2016, 01:37 PM
Nice! I think this time last year Dan, we had at least 2 feet of snow on the ground and it just kept coming! January DBs are a great thing.

Yes Jeff , its been a couple of years since i detected last in January . Thank you

Nice finds Dan. Sounds like a fun hunt.

Thank you Earle

If I found a coin like that here in Illinois I would be doing the happy dance for a week.

Tony , we might not get another chance to get out so these last couple of weeks i've made it a point to enjoy it. thanks .

Nice digs Dan, and especially for January. Looks like the white stuff may be coming your way as well toward the end of the week. We're locked down up north here until most likely March or April. I see you mention using a brass brush on the DB. Is that an alternative method to the H2O2 or just for certain types/conditions of coins?

John

John , it was actually snowing pretty good on my drive home after this hunt , this was a very "slick" looking coin . no one could even id it out in the field and i could barely see an outline of a bust one i got it home . for these coppers i usually take a soft brass brush and under the water i will brush it in one direction , this will lighten up what high areas there are and give it a bit more contrast . thanks

Congrats Dan! Can't beat making finds in January!

oh , I so agree Brian . thanks

That suspender clip has a unique pattern. Nice finds, Dan. Good too see you got out around your Bday. I thought you had said the pictured cellar was to come back to later on...

Has Dave got a copper yet?

Jim , that particular cellar site had a lot of room to swing but being on a well known trail I think it was visited a lot by detectorists. Thanks

Ill Digger
01-18-2016, 04:59 PM

:yes: Yep. It's even a little colder, a little farther north. It's been -2 F with a windchill of -21 F here today! :frozen::frozen:

Yeah Dan, you've been pretty lucky to be able to detect clear into January! :yes: :envious:
Congrats! :grin:

The Rebel
01-18-2016, 05:55 PM
WTG Dan! We've been extremely lucky to be able to get out this season & still dig. Hopefully next Sat's storm is a bust.

RIdirtdigger
01-18-2016, 07:10 PM
Nice Finds from hunted out sites. It's always nice to be able to pull a copper from a site people have been to before countless times. :)

Digger_O'Dell
01-19-2016, 01:37 AM
Nice haul for a pounded site-congrats!

fsa46
01-19-2016, 05:02 AM
Nice dig for a hammered spot Dan. Getting harder and harder to find those "virgin" spots, especially with all the research material online.