PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get started in beach detecting

bdemutis
01-18-2016, 05:21 PM
I'm looking to get started in metal detecting since I'm going to OBX this year. I was looking to get opinions on a used metal detector that wont break the bank I would love to get one that goes in water since I spend allot of time on the river also swimming and tubing. But since I'm not looking to spend allot a waterproof head would do for the beach and river banks.

del
01-18-2016, 06:57 PM
you would probably do good to look at the Garret AT Pro or new Whites MX Sport , these are both water proof to about 10 feet . unless your doing wet ocean beaches then you might want to get something with multi frequencies or a pulse unit .

Dan

bdemutis
01-18-2016, 07:20 PM
you would probably do good to look at the Garret AT Pro or new Whites MX Sport , these are both water proof to about 10 feet . unless your doing wet ocean beaches then you might want to get something with multi frequencies or a pulse unit .

Dan
I would also just be interested in a waterproof head model for the beach since I'm not looking to spend as much as a fully submersible model cost.

Digger_O'Dell
01-19-2016, 01:55 AM
Like Dan said, an AT pro would likely be your best bet on a budget. Just a waterproof coil may be OK in some instances such as going through puddles or very shallow narrow streams- but slip once in deeper water and the whole machine in in the drink. Then your detector is likely done for. Same reason I upgraded my machine. I came close a couple times to losing my X-Terra in the water and I would never forgive myself if I ruined a machine that was only a few weeks old.
I don't know what your budget is on a machine, but for around $650 for an all around waterproof machine, that's doing pretty good. You can also look online for used machines as well and maybe find something for much less. The only drawback is like dan also mentioned, if you are planning to use it in places where there is wet salt then you will still have a difficult time unless your machine is either multi frequency, PI, or can be changed to running a high frequency coil.

ODA 226
01-19-2016, 06:00 AM
AT Pro! Great all-around machine!

badgers325
01-19-2016, 12:06 PM
I have an AT Pro and have just finished detecting Newport Beach in CA. Didn't find much, .73 cents, a cheap hoop earring, 4 treble hooks on 100lb test line 1/2" below surface (glad I wasn't bare foot), boatload of bottlecaps. Angry Orchard caps seemed to be 7-10 inches down all the time. I really enjoy using the AT Pro and have found it to work great in freshwater rivers etc. Newport Beach was my first time with saltwater and I had to fine tune what I was doing with the detector (thanks to Garrett for tips and others on YouTube). Still not sure if I had it optimal for the conditions. For the money, AT Pro is the way to go. It breaks down nice too and fits into a carry-on bag (just barely). I also suggest the Waterproof Garrett pinpointer. It is well worth the money.

bdemutis
01-19-2016, 05:33 PM
Well maybe since I'm working with a budget and really didn't want to spend more than $300 on a used one I wouldn't see why just a waterproof coil wouldn't be good. Since I'm just starting out then if I like it and think I want to try snorkeling and finding stuff then maybe sell it then get a new one. It would only be something I use only during the spring and summer since soon as September comes I'm in the tree stand.

del
01-19-2016, 05:36 PM
almost all machines have water proof coils and you can detect in water up to their control boxes (a couple of feet) , just be careful of those rogue or unexpected waves .

bdemutis
01-19-2016, 06:35 PM
almost all machines have water proof coils and you can detect in water up to their control boxes (a couple of feet) , just be careful of those rogue or unexpected waves .
Ok thanks what would be a good detector that you think would suite my needs I'm going to be in sand and dirt. I did see some that you can get a waterproof cover for the control box.

del
01-19-2016, 07:04 PM
I've seen very good used detectors for sale keep looking for deals , they are out there . i personally use a whites dfx , 10 plus years ago it was a thousand dollar machine and now i've been seeing them going for 300 to 350 dollars. they are a very good machine on the beach (even in the wet sand) and its a great dirt machine as well .

bdemutis
01-19-2016, 07:24 PM
I've seen very good used detectors for sale keep looking for deals , they are out there . i personally use a whites dfx , 10 plus years ago it was a thousand dollar machine and now i've been seeing them going for 300 to 350 dollars. they are a very good machine on the beach (even in the wet sand) and its a great dirt machine as well .
I was looking at garret ace 250, bounty hunter models and detector pro headhunter. But I was more on the side of having a screen unless it doesn't make a big difference. I don't know anything about detecting. I know you get what you pay for and I'm just starting out and don't want to spend to much incase I'm not that involved with it since I already have my fishing and hunting addiction.

Edit: I was also looking at the whites coin master and bounty hunter pioneer 505 used.

del
01-19-2016, 07:51 PM
the ace 250 is a nice starter machine , i've seen good results and finds with it and it doesn't break the bank . it should be fine on the dry sand at the beach .

bdemutis
01-19-2016, 11:14 PM
the ace 250 is a nice starter machine , i've seen good results and finds with it and it doesn't break the bank . it should be fine on the dry sand at the beach .

Would any of the ones I'm looking at work in wet sand or no.
Never mind just read up on what detectors are wet sand worthy and they are in the thousand range.

julieamy001
03-01-2016, 02:15 AM
choose a good and waterproof detector firstly.

julieamy001
03-01-2016, 09:22 PM
hello, MD-6350 (http://www.kingdetector.com/md6350-advanced-metal-detectors-p-24.html) Advanced Metal Detectors is ok?

CristinAldrete
03-07-2016, 03:00 AM
i have a waterproof metal detector from detectorall (http://www.detectorall.com/), and it can work well, hope this tip can help you.