PDA

View Full Version : Give me your best guess on this thingy

BTV Digger
01-25-2016, 07:51 PM
I found this on one of my last hunts of 2015 (late Dec). Made of lead with iron teeth and broken off on one end. Some sort of animal comb? Teeth to an early machine? Site dates from the 1800s and gone before the dawn of the 20th century. Any ideas? Thanks much.

John

The Rebel
01-26-2016, 01:15 PM
Definitely NOT a razor, LOL. Perhaps something for wool/cotton?

Lodge Scent
02-05-2016, 10:11 PM
That is a tough one John. Not sure it's an animal comb....looks a bit too lethal. The fact that it is lead I think is the key. Maybe it was weighted so it would cut something without having to put manual pressure on it. Need to cogitate on that one a bit.

del
02-08-2016, 01:12 AM
could it be some type of very old electrical plug , the metal prongs would fit into a special outlet slots ??

del
02-10-2016, 06:51 AM
now looking more at this , my question is are the iron prongs sharp or noticeably thinner on one side than the other ??

Tony Two-Cent
02-10-2016, 09:20 AM
Maybe it's a noodle maker? Roll out your dough and then use this to cut it into noodles?

Most of the noodle makers I have seen have rolling blades, but perhaps this is a primitive homemade version? Just a wild guess.

del
02-10-2016, 02:01 PM
Thats a possibility Tony !! I was rolling around the idea of the cutting part of a mechanical "bleeder" or fleamer .

BTV Digger
02-12-2016, 09:23 AM
now looking more at this , my question is are the iron prongs sharp or noticeably thinner on one side than the other ??

Not really Dan. They're solid iron though and firmly stuck in the lead...can't move them. I've included a few more pics if that helps. The more I look at it, the view from the bottom (at least what I think is the bottom) actually shows a more intact oval shape so the thing may be complete and not broken after all.

BTV Digger
02-12-2016, 09:25 AM
Maybe it's a noodle maker? Roll out your dough and then use this to cut it into noodles?

Most of the noodle makers I have seen have rolling blades, but perhaps this is a primitive homemade version? Just a wild guess.

No that's a good guess Tony. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

BTV Digger
02-12-2016, 09:26 AM
Thats a possibility Tony !! I was rolling around the idea of the cutting part of a mechanical "bleeder" or fleamer .

So I plead ignorance Dan. What's a mechanical bleeder or fleamer!?

del
02-12-2016, 09:41 AM
So I plead ignorance Dan. What's a mechanical bleeder or fleamer!?

John regular or traditional fleamers or "scarificators" looked like the first picture . These were blood letting instruments but later on they became spring loaded like the second picture . Notice the four or five blades they are similarly like on the piece you have .

Dan

BTV Digger
02-12-2016, 08:42 PM
John regular or traditional fleamers or "scarificators" looked like the first picture . These were blood letting instruments but later on they became spring loaded like the second picture . Notice the four or five blades they are similarly like on the piece you have .

Dan

After doing a bit more research I think that's exactly what it is Dan! I think it's the blade mechanism that was enclosed inside of the casing in the picture you show. Upon lifting the external lever, the lead-encased blades would pop out for cutting. Then you could lower the lever and the blades would lower back down into the housing for safety. Thanks much for your help.

John

Lodge Scent
02-13-2016, 12:53 PM
Now THAT is a pretty darn cool find John. Nice job on the ID Dan.

So, would this be used on living farm stock for some type of medical treatment or might it be used for preparing a hide for tanning ??

BTV Digger
02-16-2016, 05:37 PM
Thanks Jeff. Yeah, I'm not sure if this was for human, animal or other.

DavidGC
02-16-2016, 05:59 PM
Looks a bit large and heavy to be a bleeder instrument.
How about something mounted on a roof as part of a lightning arrestor system.
Or, maybe something mounted somewhere to keep birds from roosting?