PDA

View Full Version : Toasted Campaign Pin? Could Use Some Help with ID

Digger Don
02-08-2016, 11:35 PM
My son Alec dug this at 1869 park this past Sunday.
I can make out two heads on the front & Greenduck /Chicago on the back.
I tried looking it up on google with no luck.
Has anyone ever seen one like this?
Even though its toasted, I would love to know what it is.
THANKS

Digger_O'Dell
02-09-2016, 01:10 AM
Only thing close I can find is the Roosevelt Garner pin. But the back is different.

Full Metal Digger
02-09-2016, 08:17 AM
The closer portrait does look like Teddy Roosevelt. Probably more than one company made campaign pins.

BTV Digger
02-12-2016, 10:02 AM
Interesting find Don. Definitely 20th century with the Greenduck Co. being founded in 1906. I came across a few hits online as well but nothing that resembles the shape or similarity to yours. The company made tons of pins, medallions and badges through the 1960s, but looking at the condition and print type I would guess 1906-1940. It could be a campaign related, but could be commemorative also. They did a bunch of stuff for the 1933 Chicago World's Fair. Perhaps it dates from around then?

John

Digger Don
02-12-2016, 12:18 PM
Interesting find Don. Definitely 20th century with the Greenduck Co. being founded in 1906. I came across a few hits online as well but nothing that resembles the shape or similarity to yours. The company made tons of pins, medallions and badges through the 1960s, but looking at the condition and print type I would guess 1906-1940. It could be a campaign related, but could be commemorative also. They did a bunch of stuff for the 1933 Chicago World's Fair. Perhaps it dates from around then?

John
Thanks, There's not much to go on. I couldn't find anything close to it either.

del
02-12-2016, 01:22 PM
Don , what the size of this ?? it has the outer shape of an early 1900's era watch fob but i'm unsure of its size.

Digger Don
02-12-2016, 06:56 PM
Don , what the size of this ?? it has the outer shape of an early 1900's era watch fob but i'm unsure of its size.
It's small. The size of a penny

Ill Digger
02-13-2016, 12:41 AM
Only thing close I can find is the Roosevelt Garner pin. But the back is different.
I did some looking around online too. I didn't come across anything that resembles your find though. I was imagining it being a little bigger than a penny! :lol:
I found one of the Roosevelt /Garner pins and few years back. It's about the size of a quarter. This is more like a lapel pin.

MangoAve
02-15-2016, 12:36 PM
...Those medals and Fobs I found date after 1888. Different companies, yes, but still comparable. Interesting find. Schwaab replied to me that they don't have any records of items manufactured before the 20's so I could not get any more information on mine. I have a feeling yours might fall into the same hole.

Full Metal Digger
02-15-2016, 07:01 PM
Don, when you said size of a penny I had an epiphany! Call me crazy but does it look like Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy? (Lincoln in the back). What do you think?

Digger Don
02-15-2016, 10:51 PM
Don, when you said size of a penny I had an epiphany! Call me crazy but does it look like Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy? (Lincoln in the back). What do you think?
You know, it does. Lincoln looks pretty clear and the hair line on the second head does look like JFK. Time for more research.