PDA

View Full Version : Copper # 7 & 1/4 and a surprise Group hunt

RIdirtdigger
02-21-2016, 05:50 PM
The temperatures have warmed up and the snow has melted away. I got out of class at 11 on Wednesday (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/x-apple-data-detectors://0) and headed over to a few local spots to do some detecting. First spot was a total dud. The cellar hole was filled with modern garbage and the rest of the area was covered with nasty briars. I managed to pick up a spoon, lantern part, and part to a skeleton key. I then headed back to the cellar hole where I dug a King George III a few weeks back. This cellar hole is virgin no doubt, just not the type of virgin I would like. It is an old poor colonial cellar hole that was abandoned and then reoccupied for a short time in the 1890's. It was then abandoned again and used as a dumping ground for brass targets in the early decades of the 20th century. Thus the place is loaded with high conductive target, mostly scrap. My last signal of the day turned out to be another King George III. This one looks like it was made into a button. That is copper number 7 & 1/4 (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/x-apple-data-detectors://1) for the year. Thursday I had about 90 minutes in the evening to check out a small depression I found a few weeks before. This site is very old, there aren't even any rocks remaining in the hole. It also was a quite poor site, most likely an indentured servant. Got a really old pocket knife but that was it. Friday turned out to be quite a day and included a very unexpected group hunt. I got out of class at 11 and headed out to do some detecting. The area I was going to was a patch of woods I had detected at last spring, but didn't find all the cellar holes. I was anxious to hit some of the ones that had eluded me. As I'm driving up the road I noticed two vehicles in the parking area where I parked my car last spring. I thought it was a little strange because nobody really parks there but figured it was probably some hikers. I found a different parking spot and made the long trek into the woods. I crossed an overflowing dam, climbed up and down a big hill, and was just about to hop over the stone wall bordering the site when I noticed a man up ahead near the cellar hole. I stopped in my tracks but then noticed the guy was swinging away! I dropped my gear and headed over to talk to him. Turns out it was none other then RI Terry and his buddy Bob. Terry was generous enough to invite me to join in and I couldn't thank him enough for that. I then learned he was scouting out a couple of locations for a group hunt with Thiltzy and Heavymetalnut on Saturday. First site was pretty quite but I managed to score my 2nd ever neck stock buckle piece, a few shoe buckle fragments, a bell part and a brass thing. I then told Terry and Bob I was gonna get going and hit one more site on the way out. Great group of guys there. I'm glad I got to meet them. The second site I scored a couple of tombacs, a locomotive button, and a spoon handle that has the characteristics of a late 17th century trifed spoon. Saturday was a day to forget for the most part. First two sites were pounded to death Except for one ox knob from each of them. I did manage to score a nice eagle button in the middle of nowhere as I was leaving but that was it. Same goes for the 3 sites I hit, all pounded so hard no targets at all. Still nothing can beat this nice weather we are having. GL and HH.

del
02-22-2016, 01:10 AM
nice finds Jim congrats on copper 7 for the year , you need to find the other half of the neck stock buckle :yes:

Lodge Scent
02-22-2016, 01:20 PM
Very nice! What is the design on the button to the right of the neck stock buckle in the last pic?

The Rebel
02-25-2016, 01:42 PM
Awesome finds! Still looking to get on the board for the year.

OxShoeDrew
02-28-2016, 06:48 PM
You stormed out the gate this year! Keep it up!