PDA

View Full Version : frozen coins and escargot?

Digger_O'Dell
02-22-2016, 03:35 AM
Hi all,
Been a while since I've been out due to living in the frozen tundra. Even the water detecting has been put on hold due to winter storms creating huge waves, and inland waters being frozen over. With the past few days warming things up a bit I thought I would give it a try anyway.
I had tried some open water at an old mill pond, but few targets were found. Lots of trash like tire rims and aluminum cans, but I did manage to pull 11 cents from the muck. The surprise was finding the biggest snail shell I have ever seen while going after a dime signal.
After battling the muck, I tried a stream area below the dam. This was a bad idea because of all the runoff from the melting snow created a current fast enough to move a truck. It moved literally tons of gravel to the bends which made for harrowing conditions.
Next idea was to try the mouth of the stream where it emptied into the lake. Turn out most of it was frozen over yet, but made quite a current into the lake itself. Nothing but big waves and aluminum balls.
Lastly, I gave up on the water and tried the woods where I fouls a suspender clip last year. Tough digging as most area still hard frozen, but did manage a bunch of pocket change.

del
02-22-2016, 03:42 AM
Glad to see you still at it DOD , :wow: that is a huge snail shell !! all this trial an error will pay off huge for you come this summer , i just know it .

Dan

badgers325
02-22-2016, 09:05 AM
That is a big snail shell for this area. Looks like things are going to get on the below freezing side again. Stay safe out there. At least you found some change, it is always nice to find even a Memorial Penny vs. a pull tab or bottle cap.

groundhog53946
02-22-2016, 01:39 PM
Congrats on getting out Chris! Still snow bound up here

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

wisconsin digger
02-22-2016, 06:52 PM
Yea, hunting is not ideal, but hell hunting in February is a blessing. Nice hunt WD

Digger_O'Dell
02-22-2016, 09:53 PM
Thanks! Tough this time of year between ice floods and storms. Concentrating on lining up better spots for the upcoming season but not faring well. Thought I had a historic home now used as a museum lined up. The curator was interested, but their board shot me down.

Digger Don
02-23-2016, 11:50 PM
Glad to see you can get out swinging up in Wisconsin.

badgers325
02-24-2016, 04:43 PM
Hi Chris - Stinks about the historic home/museum, but at least you gave it the effort.