PDA

View Full Version : Are sword hangers real?

RIdirtdigger
02-26-2016, 08:03 AM
I'm wondering if there was ever such a thing as a sword hanger. Seems every time someone finds one it always turns out to be a gag loop. Are sword hangers just a myth or did they actually exist?

Tony Two-Cent
02-26-2016, 08:58 AM
del has lots of information on that topic. :thumbsup01:

Sword hangers do exist, but gag loops exist in much higher numbers and are more commonly found. Many people find gag loops and due to "wishful thinking" report them as sword hangers.

del
02-26-2016, 02:33 PM
I'm wondering if there was ever such a thing as a sword hanger. Seems every time someone finds one it always turns out to be a gag loop. Are sword hangers just a myth or did they actually exist?

yes Sword hangers exist and they have changed somewhat throughout time .

del has lots of information on that topic. :thumbsup01:

Sword hangers do exist, but gag loops exist in much higher numbers and are more commonly found. Many people find gag loops and due to "wishful thinking" report them as sword hangers.

Tony is right while not everyone was military or own a blade many many people farmed and owned oxen or horses so gagloops , gagswivels or loopswivel (as they are sometimes called ) were far more plentiful .

just to show you some examples of sword hangers , just to note the last picture also has a carbine swivel hook on the left which gagloops are also mistaken for . the item on the right is a sword hanger .

RIdirtdigger
02-26-2016, 02:47 PM
Thanks for clearing up this topic. I was beginning to think that the whole concept of sword hangers was just a metal detecting myth.