PDA

View Full Version : My Best Hunt at this site so far!

fyrffytr1
02-27-2016, 10:41 PM
I went back to the site where I found the ring and got lucky. In fact this is probably the best day I have had since I have been hunting this site. I called my buddy and asked if he wanted to hunt or do yard work. He said "hunt" so we met up at the Spanish-American war camp site about 9:30. He put his briar leggings on and headed for the heavy growth while I went back to the open area near where I found my ring.
I was hunting a trashy area and had the 12" coil on my DFX to get some more depth. Still, the first few targets I dug were pulltabs. Then I got a mixed signal that jumped from iron to a 44 about 7"s deep. I dug the hole and stuck my pin pointer in it. I soon located the target and it was a rusty nail. I stuck the pin pointer back in and got another piece of nail. One more stab and I got the goodie! An eagle cuff button was laying next to another nail! I felt that this was just the beginning and I was right. I started finding 45-70 shell casings and by the endof the day had eight of them in my pouch.
After lunch we hit it again and I got another iffy signal jumping form 26 to 54 to 70 and it was about 8"s down. I started to dig and at 6"s I found an old pull tab. Then. another inch or so down I saw the outline of another eagle and I thought to myself " button number two". But, it wasn't a button. It turned out to be one piece of a sweetheart bracelet.
Even with those finds I still think my buddy got the best one of the day when he pulled a copper star out about 20 feet from where I was digging. It had lettering on it that we were able to decipher and it made his day!
The writing on the front said "Camp Thomas" across the top. Below that was a soldier standing between two tents. Below that was "Chickamauga Park Ga." and at the bottom was 1898. Here's a link to th history of that camp. http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/history-archaeology/spanish-american-war-georgia

And here are the pictures. I cleaned the button and bracelet part when I got home and the button turned out very nice with well over 90% of it's gilt still intact.

OxShoeDrew
02-28-2016, 01:54 PM
That button came out stunning! Interesting link, thanks. Congrats to your bud too! :clapping:

Isaac
02-28-2016, 02:03 PM
Great looking eagles. :)